OT: Auburn pulls a Vandy

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

OT: Auburn pulls a Vandy

Post by Go Vandy! »

Had the ball up 10-3 with 2 minutes to go & gave the game away.

Minoadoc
Rear Admiral

Re: OT: Auburn pulls a Vandy

Post by Minoadoc »

Auburn should have used that OT two point play to win after they scored the OT TD
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

Running back should have stayed inbounds.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Well their DC is former Vanderbilt coach.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:50 pm Well their DC is former Vanderbilt coach.
And battled the top program in the nation to 4 overtimes.

The coach on West End before him fell to below .500 in his conference today.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:50 pm Well their DC is former Vanderbilt coach.
Held Nick Saban to the lowest 60-minute point total (10 points) in his 15 years at Alabama.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Some just can't let go.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

BrentVU wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 pm
Held Nick Saban to the lowest 60-minute point total (10 points) in his 15 years at Alabama.
That will not go unnoticed.
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Some guys are not cut out to be head coaches. That simple.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

The repeated non-calls for intentional grounding which were mysteriously not made against Alabama on that last drive convinced me that the refs were doing everything they could to make sure 2 SEC teams still had a chance to make final 4.

I mean... quarterback is being tackled, in the pocket, throws it straight into the ground, the ball lands now where NEAR one of his teammates... that is the dictionary definition of intentional grounding, and the "Bama QB did it twice on that last drive in regulation. Had that been a Vandy QB, they would have called it both times. But 'Bama OWNS SEC refs.

I swear, the SEC has the integrity of the WWF.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

historybill wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 pm The repeated non-calls for intentional grounding which were mysteriously not made against Alabama on that last drive convinced me that the refs were doing everything they could to make sure 2 SEC teams still had a chance to make final 4.

I mean... quarterback is being tackled, in the pocket, throws it straight into the ground, the ball lands now where NEAR one of his teammates... that is the dictionary definition of intentional grounding, and the "Bama QB did it twice on that last drive in regulation. Had that been a Vandy QB, they would have called it both times. But 'Bama OWNS SEC refs.

I swear, the SEC has the integrity of the WWF.
In OT the Bama defender about ripped the helmet off an Auburn running back, he had his fingers in the ear hole of the helmet, the refs threw the flag but then reversed the call and said no face mask.

Fortunately for Auburn they still scored on that possession so that didn’t cost them the game but it was clear the refs didn’t want to make a call that would hurt Alabama in OT.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

As much as we want to blame the refs, gremlins, etc, nothing changes the fact that Auburn had the ball up 10-3 with 2 mins remaining.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Grrr.

The best day of any given college football season is the day Alabama is eliminated from National Title Contention. A shame that day only comes every other year.

Yesterday should have been the day.

Should have, being the operative words.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

99% of the posters on here will pull for an SEC team in the post season after trashing the league roundly during the regular season. It could be LSU, Florida, Georgia, any of those large state schools they condemn almost every day of every year.

But for some reason will decide to live vicariously through the SEC in a big game as if it benefits VU if they win which it does not. Now that Michigan will move up into the final four, watch how everybody will pull for Alabama against them in the round of four. Cincinnati will be in the final four. How many out there are ready to pull for Cincinnati against whichever SEC team they draw? Ready to pull for Notre Dame against Georgia?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:05 am 99% of the posters on here will pull for an SEC team in the post season after trashing the league roundly during the regular season. It could be LSU, Florida, Georgia, any of those large state schools they condemn almost every day of every year.

But for some reason will decide to live vicariously through the SEC in a big game as if it benefits VU if they win which it does not. Now that Michigan will move up into the final four, watch how everybody will pull for Alabama against them in the round of four. Cincinnati will be in the final four. How many out there are ready to pull for Cincinnati against whichever SEC team they draw? Ready to pull for Notre Dame against Georgia?
Nope. Never root for Alabama. I can root for UGA in general, but after the crap Saban pulled on my Dolphins, I will never root for him. Nope. Nope. Uh uh.

It will be hard not to root for Cincy this year though. I mean, doesn't everyone that isn't a specific fan of a playoff team have to root for the little guy with a legit chance to win it all? Sort of like everyone but Duke fans was pulling for Butler in the basketball title game that year?

I am just still fearing the worst possible BCS disasters. Something like Alabama beats UGA in the SEC title game, gives us a 2 vs 3 UGA/Bama rematch in the semifinals while simultaneously elevating a 1-loss Big12 champ over an undefeated Cincy squad ensuring that everyone is miserable. The only thing worse than that is the same scenario where UGA beats Bama in OT in the SEC title game and they *STILL* put Bama in the playoffs for a rematch with UGA in a 1/4 game, while still kicking an undefeated Cincinatti to the curb.

If one of those happen, I might vomit a little.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Cincinnati will probably be in the final four. Makes a good human interest story.

It's Notre Dame sneaking in that could screw that up. Or what if Okie State beats #8 Baylor solidly in the Big12 title game? Lots of moving parts left to sort out. Somebody is going to be left out & butt-hurt.

New CBS projections:

(1) Georgia vs. (4) Oklahoma State

(2) Michigan vs. (3) Cincinnati

Sugar - Bama vs Baylor
Rose - tOSU vs Oregon rematch
Fiesta - Michigan St. vs Notre Dame
Peach - Ole Miss vs Pitt

others
uut vs Minny in the MCB
UNC vs WKU in the Gasparilla (?)
MTSU vs Western Michigan in the nobody will be watching bowl
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:05 am 99% of the posters on here will pull for an SEC team in the post season after trashing the league roundly during the regular season. It could be LSU, Florida, Georgia, any of those large state schools they condemn almost every day of every year.

If Georgia beats Bama (and even Bama fans think that is likely), will Bama go at 11-2 while there are other 11-1 or 12-1 teams?
thefan
Captain

On last Bama drive in ....

Post by thefan »

regulation and the line of scrimmage was the Auburn 29, I thought that the Alabama qb should have been flagged for clear intentional grounding when he was being tackled by the Auburn defenders. The Bama qb seemed not to be hit while throwing but lofted the ball to the ground after it was clear he would be tackled. Guess Bama was supposed to win!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Georgia may have to beat Bama twice to win it all. In college football beating a good team twice in one season is typically not easy to do.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

admin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:34 pm Georgia may have to beat Bama twice to win it all. In college football beating a good team twice in one season is typically not easy to do.
I think if Alabama loses to Georgia, they are eliminated. They will have 2 losses, and their last two wins were not very convincing. I don't think you could take a 2 loss Alabama team over a 1 loss team, especially when you can make the argument that Alabama had the chance to prove themselves against Georgia and move on.
Locked Previous topicNext topic