OT: Jeremy Pruitt vs. UT could get... very interesting!

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

OT: Jeremy Pruitt vs. UT could get... very interesting!

Post by BrentVU »

USA Today: Jeremy Pruitt's lawyer threatens fiery lawsuit as Tennessee refuses settlement with ex-Vols coach
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 519069002/

The University of Tennessee once agreed that Pruitt would be owed a buyout of $12.6 million if he was fired without cause. In January, UT fired Pruitt for cause – meaning Pruitt was owed nothing. I’d imagine Pruitt disagreed, and needless to say, he was going to lawyer up and fight for his $12.6 million.

Wouldn’t you?

Evidence of the inevitable legal scrap wasn’t the surprising part of Tuesday’s bombshell exclusive by USA TODAY Network colleague Blake Toppmeyer.

No, the surprising part of the correspondence was that Tennessee isn’t negotiating a settlement and doesn’t appear to be backing down at all to threats from Pruitt's side...

UT is puffing its chest out, too. It appears willing to go to court – and risk all types of unflattering information coming to light - rather than give Pruitt a nickel. Bring it on, the university seems to be telling Pruitt's attorney Michael Lyons.

So grab your popcorn, folks. This is about to get goooood.

Tennessean columnist Gentry Estes: Jeremy Pruitt vs. Tennessee is about to get good — and I’m here for it
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... -NLETTER65 ?

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: OT: Jeremy Pruitt vs. UT could get... very interesting!

Post by Seadog73 »

Ole Bullet head may be a weapon of mass destruction
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Maybe we should start a Go Fund Me page to help Pruitt with legal expenses. Bet there are a lot of fans of Bama, Georgia, KY, Florida, Ole Miss, Auburn .........wow, this list got long real quick.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

It sounds to me like plain old extortion. He isn't arguing that he is innocent of the charges, or that UT didn't have cause to fire him, but that if he isn't paid off, he will expose UT to a lot of bad publicity involving more violations involving other programs besides football than has been made public. UT has to decide if the lawyer will follow through if they won't settle and he won't get paid, or if he does, how much will the NCAA do about the new evidence. Given the NCAA's history, there is a non-zero chance nothing would come from additional evidence. Still, it is a dangerous game. It is like speeding: Everyone may be doing it, but you don't want to be the one pulled over, because that isn't a good defense.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

ut has put itself in a Catch-22. If Pruitt was fired "for cause" and that cause was NCAA violations as reported, then they are setting themselves up for sanctions. But, I'm hearing people who claim to know somebody who knows somebody who's nephew cuts the grass of the assistant AD's HVAC guy who are saying there is no credible evidence of real violations, it was just innuendo and rumors spread by opponents. If they stick by that story (and I'm not suggesting that even ut is that stupid), the liability suit that Pruitt and staff hits them with may drive them to bankruptcy.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

“No, the surprising part of the correspondence was that Tennessee isn’t negotiating a settlement and doesn’t appear to be backing down at all “

My take is either UT is so broke from paying out all those previously failed coaches that they don’t have the money to pay Germy or they’re just too stupid to make a deal to keep the issues in house. Either way this doesn’t have a good look.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

katmai wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:55 pm It sounds to me like plain old extortion. He isn't arguing that he is innocent of the charges, or that UT didn't have cause to fire him, but that if he isn't paid off, he will expose UT to a lot of bad publicity involving more violations involving other programs besides football than has been made public. UT has to decide if the lawyer will follow through if they won't settle and he won't get paid, or if he does, how much will the NCAA do about the new evidence. Given the NCAA's history, there is a non-zero chance nothing would come from additional evidence. Still, it is a dangerous game. It is like speeding: Everyone may be doing it, but you don't want to be the one pulled over, because that isn't a good defense.
it's definitely an extortive maneuver, but I'm not sure it can be just written off as a gun-to-the-head. If he can demonstrate that this behavior, unethical though it is, is not only tolerated abut tacitly expected in order to keep your job, then he can counter the "for cause" justification of his firing.

But then as I type this, I can't see UT paying precisely for that reason. Wouldn't paying under those circumstances be an admission of the very thing I'm talking about?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

A perfect storm: just like the one that rained bottles and other debris down on Neyland Stadium Saturday. When it rains it pours - just too bad.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

OldDude wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:24 pm Maybe we should start a Go Fund Me page to help Pruitt with legal expenses.
Wouldn't his lawyer get a chunk of that 12.6 million if they win?

Didn't that lawyer win a 2.5 million coach fired (breach of contract/buyout) case a while back?
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

Seadog73 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:58 am Ole Bullet head may be a weapon of mass destruction

He can allege all kind of supposed violations. But, does he have any proof, such as memos or copies of emails? Maybe not. In that case it is just hot air, unless his lawyer can find something during discovery. Tennessee will vigorously fight any fishing expedition.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:31 pm
OldDude wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:24 pm Maybe we should start a Go Fund Me page to help Pruitt with legal expenses.
Wouldn't his lawyer get a chunk of that 12.6 million if they win?

Didn't that lawyer win a 2.5 million coach fired (breach of contract/buyout) case a while back?
Depends. If the case is as a breach of contract it might not be on a percentage basis. Still, I'd rather have 60% of 12.6 million than none of it. :lol:
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

I'll be surprised if it ever goes to trial. One or both will eventually blink, and settle. It's the American way.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

So what if he has dirty laundry to air. Who is left to be fired? Would there really be harsh sanctions levied by NCAA. They seem much more toothless theses days. A "bad Look" does not seem to bother the institution much less the fanbase. The vast majority would be in favor of pay to play if it meant wins.
Looks like a cheap payoff of about $250-$400K range just to avoid legal expenses.
Locked Previous topicNext topic