Proud of how this team plays

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

CPerk
Lieutenant

Proud of how this team plays

Post by CPerk »

There has been a noticeable difference in the effort this year compared to years past. The team goes wide open regardless of score and circumstance. I am very optimistic about the future with the culture Coach Lea is building. I play college baseball at an NAIA school, and while it may not be Vanderbilt, I have a pretty good understanding of college athletes. For Coach Lea to get the buy in it seems he's gotten takes SERIOUS ability. College kids are the world's best at seeing through BS, finding the easy way out, and making excuses. This is a group that seems to have a great mindset.

Also, while it may seem reasonable to think 'well, it should be easy for them to play hard and have a good attitude. They're getting school paid for and playing in the SEC...' Unfortunately, that's just not how college athletes are. Laziness is rampant across all sports and all schools, even the likes of Alabama Football, Vandy Baseball, Kentucky Basketball, etc.

I am excited to see how the team responds against MS State this Saturday. I believe the team will come out and play just as hard as previous games, if not harder. Effort level Saturday will be a big indicator of how much these players trust Coach Lea and his vision for the future.

Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Re: Proud of how this team plays

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

Great post- and I agree (though expect to take some flak for it). There’s a lot more “fight”/pushback this year IMHO. I liked xCDM- but the last season and a half was as listless as it gets.

BTW- may I ask how you became a Vandy fan? Always amazed (in a good way!) when someone chooses to be a Vanderbilt fan w/o attending. It’s like choosing between a trip to Paris (Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Ohio St, etc.), and joining the French Foreign Legion (Vanderbilt fan)- and choosing the Legion. Lol.

PS Good luck w/baseball & school!
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Very good inside information. CPerk report often when time permits.
CPerk
Lieutenant

Post by CPerk »

Vandy_Law07 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:15 am Great post- and I agree (though expect to take some flak for it). There’s a lot more “fight”/pushback this year IMHO. I liked xCDM- but the last season and a half was as listless as it gets.

BTW- may I ask how you became a Vandy fan? Always amazed (in a good way!) when someone chooses to be a Vanderbilt fan w/o attending. It’s like choosing between a trip to Paris (Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Ohio St, etc.), and joining the French Foreign Legion (Vanderbilt fan)- and choosing the Legion. Lol.

Thank you! My mom has been a charge nurse in the NICU at Vandy for close to 40 years. Because of the heavily discounted tickets back in the day for employees, my parents got season tickets to baseball, basketball, and football. Being able to always go with my dad to games must have been what made me a diehard Vanderbilt fan. We had tickets to all 3 up until my baseball career made it hard to make it to baseball and basketball games. Only football now. Looking back, very glad I've grown up a Vanderbilt fan. Taught me much more about life than being an Alabama football fan :lol:
Vandy_Law07
Lieutenant

Post by Vandy_Law07 »

CPerk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:57 am
Vandy_Law07 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:15 am Great post- and I agree (though expect to take some flak for it). There’s a lot more “fight”/pushback this year IMHO. I liked xCDM- but the last season and a half was as listless as it gets.

Thank you! My mom has been a charge nurse in the NICU at Vandy for close to 40 years. Because of the heavily discounted tickets back in the day for employees, my parents got season tickets to baseball, basketball, and football. Being able to always go with my dad to games must have been what made me a diehard Vanderbilt fan. We had tickets to all 3 up until my baseball career made it hard to make it to baseball and basketball games. Only football now. Looking back, very glad I've grown up a Vanderbilt fan. Taught me much more about life than being an Alabama football fan :lol:
That IS awesome! Makes you, and your family- some of the top Vandy fans out there in my book. Totally, relate to your last sentence too. The “gift” of being a Vanderbilt fan is the early knowledge that life is competitive- and whether in business or otherwise- there’s almost always a bigger, faster someone out there w/more resources coming for your lunch. Best to know sooner rather than later…
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

I agree the team does play hard all game long regardless of the score.

I hope that stays the same after very hard losses and the coach basically throwing them under the bus last press conference.
Locked Previous topicNext topic