Mike Wright named starting QB vs. Mississippi State

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VandyBias
Ensign

Mike Wright named starting QB vs. Mississippi State

Post by VandyBias »

At his weekly press conference ahead of Saturday’s game against Mississippi State, Vanderbilt head coach Clark Lea said that Mike Wright will start at quarterback with Ken Seals not at 100 percent.
Lea went on to clarify that he’s not officially ruling Seals out of Saturday’s game, but doesn’t want to rush him back from injury — so, Wright it is. Lea would go on to mention that Seals is the starter when he returns to full health.
https://www.anchorofgold.com/2021/10/19 ... n-saturday

VandyBias
Ensign

Re: Mike Wright named starting QB vs. Mississippi State

Post by VandyBias »

WIll add that, in my opinion, naming Seals the starter when back at full health is kind of foolhardy, especially in the possible case that come next week Wright has an SEC win and a good stat-line and CCL shoves Seals back in vs. Mizzou just for him to have another painfully mediocre (or worse) performance
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Without an injury we might have never seen Wright start.

The defense stinks. But it's not the players. It's the scheme. I am convinced. We have another HC that will do what he does, he will not bend. As evidenced by his lack of accountability in the loss and that he would do it all over again. Gosh, I hope he can really really recruit.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

VandyBias wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:38 pm WIll add that, in my opinion, naming Seals the starter when back at full health is kind of foolhardy, especially in the possible case that come next week Wright has an SEC win and a good stat-line and CCL shoves Seals back in vs. Mizzou just for him to have another painfully mediocre (or worse) performance
My understanding of what he said is that whoever starts has to be healthy AND earn it
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

kay1092 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:01 pm even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Without an injury we might have never seen Wright start.

The defense stinks. But it's not the players. It's the scheme. I am convinced. We have another HC that will do what he does, he will not bend. As evidenced by his lack of accountability in the loss and that he would do it all over again. Gosh, I hope he can really really recruit.
Good gosh man 1/2 the already awful defense transfered last year and you are blaming the coaches? Nah bro. This defense doesn't have the horses to hang with sec schools even if it was coached by Tom Mf Landry. Holding an SEC school (even a down one) to 21 points last week was defensive mastery. Last drive they made some rookie moves but seriously
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

bernstml19 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:20 pm
kay1092 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:01 pm even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Without an injury we might have never seen Wright start.

Good gosh man 1/2 the already awful defense transfered last year and you are blaming the coaches? Nah bro. This defense doesn't have the horses to hang with sec schools even if it was coached by Tom Mf Landry. Holding an SEC school (even a down one) to 21 points last week was defensive mastery. Last drive they made some rookie moves but seriously
Then how come once down 14-3 vs SC, we stopped them the rest of the game when we got more aggressive? Until we then changed back to soft D and lost the game. This is about scheme.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

We have been burnt on 3rd and 26, 2nd and 20, etc WHY? because we play cover with DBs who cannot cover for longer than a few seconds. Blitz and pressure on the QB is the DBs best friend. If you cannot cover you must bring extra rush on the QB. The first time we did this all season, we were effective. So what do we do? We stop it and let a backup QB march down the field cold and lose the game. CCL is a DC, he should know better.

How many TDs on big plays have we let up on RB seam routes? Do you know how long that play takes to develop. The safeties drift wide and the RB runs by the LB's down the middle. It's been 3 or 4 times now on long down and distances. This happens only because teams see we play cover, the RB is not needed to block extra defenders, they don't even pause and release. You bring 5 or 6 and that is a sack not a big play.

CCL has said he plays the #'s, but his numbers are NOT Vanderbilt #'s. Bob Shoop blitzed the hell out of teams here under Franklin.

“It is going to be personnel driven, rather than scheme driven…You try to tailor your scheme to what your players can do,” Shoop said at Mississippi State. “The analogy I use is Lebron James in basketball. What position does he play? Well, he plays them all. If you have Lebron James on your team, you are going to use him differently than how you might use a different player.”
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

So that guy that tweeted "Ken Seals out for season" may not have been talking out of his a$$, huh? (I Can't find the tweet.)
Locked Previous topicNext topic