Did Clark Lea Have His Error Of Doom Or A Come-To-Jesus Moment At Vanderbilt?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Did Clark Lea Have His Error Of Doom Or A Come-To-Jesus Moment At Vanderbilt?

Post by admin »

The 2021 Vanderbilt football season has been difficult to bear for Clark Lea, his assistant coaches, the fans, and most of all, the players. It has been a rough road for everyone involved.

By Matt Zemek

The Commodores aren’t winless, but they aren’t going to a bowl game, either. They have lost 62-0 and 42-0 this season, but they also have lost by a single point, to South Carolina on Saturday. It’s always better to be competitive and to have a chance to win, compared to being blown out of the building. It’s always better to come close to winning than to not come close at all. That means a team has the ability to achieve something, to be better than an opponent.

LINK TO MORE: https://14powers.com/sec-football/11647 ... anderbilt/

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did Clark Lea Have His Error Of Doom Or A Come-To-Jesus Moment At Vanderbilt?

Post by charlestonalum »

Yes, on the job training: learn best from mistakes. This is why experienced Chancellors and AD's search for candidates who are already head coaches. They come with experience and knowledge that we all hope Clark Lea gets quickly. He should have learned two painful lessons at SC.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Re: Did Clark Lea Have His Error Of Doom Or A Come-To-Jesus Moment At Vanderbilt?

Post by dore74 »

Good read, but not sure I totally agree. The prevent defense at the end was absolutely a head scratcher. Everyone hates prevent defenses, but I can understand its use last week up to a point. Nevertheless, in this instance to not (at least in a play or two) pressure the QB who was just thrown into the fray was peculiar at best and gutless at worst. I have not heard Lea explain his thinking here, frankly would be very refreshing for him to do so. Leadership requires communication skills, would be good to karma to do so here. Otherwise it fosters a bunker mentality.

I was generally ok with the FG at the end. A few thoughts: 1) he did the opposite in the first half and if we had kicked it then we would have been up by 9 pts and won; 2) needing a TD is much harder than needing a game tying FG; 3) SC and everyone in the stands knew we weren't going to throw the ball at the goal line on 4th down so the box would have been totally loaded; and 4) if they only needed a FG to tie even with the ball on their 5, they needed the same yardage for a FG that they needed for a TD from their 25. Hence, that call to me wasn't the problem.

Even taking into account the end game fiasco, Lea seems to be progressing as an HC. Interesting how he evolved from staring into space in game 1 to a fair amount more animation last Saturday. The next two weeks are huge, while i think MSU is too strong for us to pull an upset Mizzu gives us a much better change. We'll see how the season closes out and how he recruits. Color me disappointed but still hopeful the Lea has what it takes
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

So if we lose out- and i hope we don't, but it's a real possibility- what is your prediction for CCL's tenure? Mine isn't very rosy.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

dore74 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:49 am Good read, but not sure I totally agree. The prevent defense at the end was absolutely a head scratcher. Everyone hates prevent defenses EXCEPT FOR COACHES, but I can understand its use last week up to a point. Nevertheless, in this instance to not (at least in a play or two) pressure the QB who was just thrown into the fray was peculiar at best and gutless at worst. I have not heard Lea explain his thinking here, frankly would be very refreshing for him to do so. Leadership requires communication skills, would be good to karma to do so here. Otherwise it fosters a bunker mentality.

I was generally ok with the FG at the end. A few thoughts: 1) he did the opposite in the first half and if we had kicked it then we would have been up by 9 pts and won; 2) needing a TD is much harder than needing a game tying FG; 3) SC and everyone in the stands knew we weren't going to throw the ball at the goal line on 4th down so the box would have been totally loaded; and 4) if they only needed a FG to tie even with the ball on their 5, they needed the same yardage for a FG that they needed for a TD from their 25. Hence, that call to me wasn't the problem.

Even taking into account the end game fiasco, Lea seems to be progressing as an HC. Interesting how he evolved from staring into space in game 1 to a fair amount more animation last Saturday. The next two weeks are huge, while i think MSU is too strong for us to pull an upset Mizzu gives us a much better change. We'll see how the season closes out and how he recruits. Color me disappointed but still hopeful the Lea has what it takes
There, fixed it for you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I certainly haven't given up on Lea. I also don't blame him for kicking that late field goal. It seemed to be the right thing to do but we should not have gone to the prevent defense. Why the hell did we keep using it for that entire last USC drive?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

[quote=dore74 post_id=158757 time=1634647783 user_id=153]
Good read, but not sure I totally agree. The prevent defense at the end was absolutely a head scratcher. Everyone hates prevent defenses, but I can understand its use last week up to a point. Nevertheless, in this instance to not (at least in a play or two) pressure the QB who was just thrown into the fray was peculiar at best and gutless at worst. I have not heard Lea explain his thinking here, frankly would be very refreshing for him to do so. Leadership requires communication skills, would be good to karma to do so here. Otherwise it fosters a bunker mentality.

He discussed it directly in the postgame interview and said something like"the plan was to rush 3 contain the pass game and tackle them in bounds. It should have worked, but didn't." What he did not say was: "it was all my fault, stupid plan and naturally I would never ever do it again, because like all of you
I know it was sn unforgivable mistake."
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Go Vandy! wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:55 am So if we lose out- and i hope we don't, but it's a real possibility- what is your prediction for CCL's tenure? Mine isn't very rosy.
In which of those games are we favored. Why would you think the W/L the rest of the season will impact him at all.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Why are we a training program? Did we not learn from Mason? Pay people millions to do on-the-job training? Why couldn't we hire someone WITH the experience beforehand? That last drive showed how inexperienced this staff is. Minter AND Lea(D-Guru) couldn't realize after the first down it was a mistake??? When you have DB's that can't guard very well and give the opposing QB THAT much time he is going to connect? How could ANYONE not see that ? Oh yeah....on the job training!!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:49 pm Why are we a training program? Did we not learn from Mason? Pay people millions to do on-the-job training? Why couldn't we hire someone WITH the experience beforehand? That last drive showed how inexperienced this staff is. Minter AND Lea(D-Guru) couldn't realize after the first down it was a mistake??? When you have DB's that can't guard very well and give the opposing QB THAT much time he is going to connect? How could ANYONE not see that ? Oh yeah....on the job training!!!
Then have EVEN LESS defensive backs trying to defend back there.

As if THAT would have been a good plan.

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:00 pm
Nashmann wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:49 pm Why are we a training program? Did we not learn from Mason? Pay people millions to do on-the-job training? Why couldn't we hire someone WITH the experience beforehand? That last drive showed how inexperienced this staff is. Minter AND Lea(D-Guru) couldn't realize after the first down it was a mistake??? When you have DB's that can't guard very well and give the opposing QB THAT much time he is going to connect? How could ANYONE not see that ? Oh yeah....on the job training!!!
Then have EVEN LESS defensive backs trying to defend back there.

As if THAT would have been a good plan.

Well yeah and that worked out real well!!! lol. All they had to do was rush one more guy. Still would have had 6 DB's(same amount) and had one less LB. If you watched that game it was a joke to rush only 3.... They had 8 guys covering max 5 receivers......with zero pressure the QB had all day to file & paint his toenails and STILL have time to find a receiver.....which is what happened.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Then why did we only have ONE sack in the first 59 minutes of the game. A total of ONE.

Were we painting our toenails? There's a good reason some of you people don't coach football.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:33 pm Then why did we only have ONE sack in the first 59 minutes of the game. A total of ONE.

Were we painting our toenails? There's a good reason some of you people don't coach football.
You DON'T have to sack anyone....you HAVE to just put some pressure on him.....geez
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

Agree, we pressured them. We might have had only 1 sack. But our blitz had a big impact.

CCL was a Vanderbilt guy, why does he need to have "learning lessons" that we need to be pedal to the metal to win? I just don't understand it. I really don't. Can any of these coaches watch James Franklin to understand that aggression and positive mindset dare I say cocky is what we need? Lea is dull, no energy, and apparently no guts either. This is not what we need, and it's obvious. We need a game changer, someone who mixes it up, stirs the pot. Goes for a fake punt or onside kick, something! Watch the Vandy ReVealed videos from Franklin. Look at that guy and find someone like him.

Not a Vanderbilt clone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjS7mBmTM3Q

His press conference was embarrassing to be honest. He took no blame. YET he lost the game. With the FG we didn't kick, with the 4th down we didn't go for, and with the safe zone D. CCL needs to get slapped and wake up or he's gone in 2-3 years when he've proven to be over his head.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I'm going to go ahead and comment on some things...

Going for it on 4th and 4 at the end would have been a terrible decision. Nobody in their right mind would think we could convert that. No chance of success. The FG was the right call.

Since they HAD to have a TD and couldn't settle for a FG under any circumstances, with so little time left, I think a vast majority of coaches would play something similar to what we did. We dropped 8 in some sort of attempt to cover them. If we don't, does anybody really think they wouldn't score even faster than they did? The irony is, if we would have rushed 5 or blitzed or whatever, you know they would have broke one and scored faster against our concrete shoes secondary. Only saving grace then would be that we could have had more time for a final drive to get into FG range.

The problem isn't the staff. Let's wait to judge them until they have a few pieces of actual talent in place. They have to play CB's who couldn't cover offensive linemen, a whopping two-deep RB's who are 10 feet tall and 310 lbs combined, an established, talented QB who all of a sudden can't grasp an offense, and a bunch of average at best talent here and there. We're a total rebuild if ever one existed. This season had disaster written over it to begin with. While I have seen some puzzling things so far, I don't have any issues with what transpired Saturday. The coaches were hamstrung by the hand they were dealt in that situation.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

dallasdore wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:22 pm I'm going to go ahead and comment on some things...

Going for it on 4th and 4 at the end would have been a terrible decision. Nobody in their right mind would think we could convert that. No chance of success. The FG was the right call.

Since they HAD to have a TD and couldn't settle for a FG under any circumstances, with so little time left, I think a vast majority of coaches would play something similar to what we did. We dropped 8 in some sort of attempt to cover them. If we don't, does anybody really think they wouldn't score even faster than they did? The irony is, if we would have rushed 5 or blitzed or whatever, you know they would have broke one and scored faster against our concrete shoes secondary. Only saving grace then would be that we could have had more time for a final drive to get into FG range.

The problem isn't the staff. Let's wait to judge them until they have a few pieces of actual talent in place. They have to play CB's who couldn't cover offensive linemen, a whopping two-deep RB's who are 10 feet tall and 310 lbs combined, an established, talented QB who all of a sudden can't grasp an offense, and a bunch of average at best talent here and there. We're a total rebuild if ever one existed. This season had disaster written over it to begin with. While I have seen some puzzling things so far, I don't have any issues with what transpired Saturday. The coaches were hamstrung by the hand they were dealt in that situation.
The only thing I can add to this spot on analysis is that Lea is a systems thinker and very analytical in his approach - dare I say he reminds me of Saban in his press comments. If and it has always been the big word at Vanderbilt: IF Lea can recruit SEC caliber players to our university, we will win with him at the helm.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:47 am
dallasdore wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:22 pm I'm going to go ahead and comment on some things...

The only thing I can add to this spot on analysis is that Lea is a systems thinker and very analytical in his approach - dare I say he reminds me of Saban in his press comments. If and it has always been the big word at Vanderbilt: IF Lea can recruit SEC caliber players to our university, we will win with him at the helm.
Still think he should have (1) gone for the points in the first half when down 14-3. That would have given us a 9 point lead. (2) At least rushed 4 at the end.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

The concept of prevent defense makes sense in that scenario: don't give up the yardage in huge chunks, don't let the receiver get behind you or get out of bounds.
One or two tackles in bounds and the game is over (SC had no time outs).

I don't disagree with the call for prevent D in that situation but it was really poorly executed - because they did pick up yardage in huge chunks and did get out of bounds on every play.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Several of the "know-it-all" people doing the most second guessing couldn't coach pee-wee league football.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Isn't great that we all have opinions and a place to share them?

I kind of thought the idea to go for the touchdown in the first half, down 14-3, was the right call. If Vandy didn't get it, South Carolina would be in a field position hole. At that point, South Carolina had only had the ball twice and had driven the field easily both times. In my mind, if Vanderbilt kicked the field goal and gave South Caroline the ball after the kickoff at the 25 or better, chances were good that it would soon be 21-6. The bad field position for South Carolina after the missed touchdown attempt eventually led to Vandy's first touchdown and slowed South Carolina down.

That's just me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic