SEC lays down the law on UT

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

belair
Rear Admiral

SEC lays down the law on UT

Post by belair »

Fined them $250,000K. But the review of alcohol sales could hurt worse.
"Wut??? They are taking away our beer???"

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 173389370/

VU1970
Admiral

Re: SEC lays down the law on UT

Post by VU1970 »

They should ban the sale of tickets to UT fans at all other SEC stadiums.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

I have a couple of friends that are UT fans. I will thank them for the $19,230 gift to Vanderbilt. (our share of the $250K).
PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Post by PeteFox »

Your tax money at work.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

And how much do they bring in at every full house home game ? I figure $4.5 mill easy not counting concessions.
MountainDore
Lieutenant

Post by MountainDore »

The joke is that it just gets deducted from the payment from the SEC. UT should have to write a check, signed by the President and counter-signed by the AD.
BrentVU
Site Admin

Post by BrentVU »

I'm thinking it's a matter of time before this happens with the opposing fans at a Vanderbilt home game, and Vanderbilt gets stuck with the fine. :roll:
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

BrentVU wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:23 pm I'm thinking it's a matter of time before this happens with the opposing fans at a Vanderbilt home game, and Vanderbilt gets stuck with the fine. :roll:
Wouldn't that have to mean the opposing fans were upset about something? Not likely to get upset with 3,4, 6 TD wins.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I think the right thing to do would have been a lifetime death penalty for football at UT-Knoxville. :D Honestly, the $250K was a bit more than I thought would happen.

I think that if a similar on-the field situation happened against Georgia or even Vandy, their fans would respond the same way and the administration would look equally as inept as the did last Saturday night. I sincerely doubt there is any real change coming as they just want to protect their revenue. That means no disruption of beer sales and allowing EVERYONE in the stadium. I'm sure they'll appeal this fine if that's an avenue they can pursue.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

belair wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:56 pm Fined them $250,000K. But the review of alcohol sales could hurt worse.
"Wut??? They are taking away our beer???"

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 173389370/
From the article, it sounded like the SEC might be evaluating the sale of alcohol at all stadiums, not just UT.

I thought that they should have fined UT more than A&M got hit for storming the field after beating Alabama. That didn't disrupt the action, and no one was trying to hurt anyone. I think the fines should be progressive, and the conference should make clear that if there is a persistent problem, the fans need to self-patrol the situation, or they will all be kicked out of the game. You can't fault a school for one or two fans throwing something, but they are surrounded by hundreds of people that know who did it. When you have hundreds of people doing it, and people's safety is compromised, and it goes on for 20 minutes, I think UT got off easy.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

I'm kind of "meh" on the fine, however, the SEC should have brought the hammer down on the fans who participated. The league should have said that any fans who engaged in throwing objects onto the field would be banned from SEC events for life.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

NWOHDore wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:49 pm I'm kind of "meh" on the fine, however, the SEC should have brought the hammer down on the fans who participated. The league should have said that any fans who engaged in throwing objects onto the field would be banned from SEC events for life.
Agree with the thought, but literally impossible to enforce.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

OldDude wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:11 pm
Agree with the thought, but literally impossible to enforce.
[/quote]

I agree its difficult to enforce, but it sends a message, and probably provides some very real public humiliation. Even if it's not enforceable, it certainly makes it more difficult. Pro leagues do it and with more sophisticated facial recognition technology, it's getting easier and more effective to enforce.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They should take away one of their remaining home games and make it a road game instead. Maybe the Vandy game?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

And in other news, Greg Sankey's limp wrist sprain should be fine in a few days.
Locked Previous topicNext topic