Let's go ahead and have a QB controversy

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Let's go ahead and have a QB controversy

Post by alathIN »

Wright vs Seals is interesting to speculate about but hard to conclude.
Part of me thinks if Seals was playing we win this game easily because the team is playing better overall and Seals is overall the better QB.
Despite Wright's big plays, the offense was never really functioning smoothly against SC. It was fits and starts and occasional big plays. Seals seems to me the more likely candidate to go 5-6 passing on a long drive. We've seen him do it - but never consistently for an entire game.
I can certainly see the other side - that the offense under Seals has suffered from lack of explosiveness which is also a problem.

Most QB controversies don't come down to the guy on the bench being a clearly better QB. Usually it's a case of one QB can do some of the stuff and the other QB can do other stuff but neither can do all of the stuff.

I would feel better about Wright starting if the defense was really solid. If it's a low scoring game, a couple of explosive plays can win.

As it is, this team's best strength is the receivers. If the recipe is "deliver the ball to the receivers reliably" - make the passing game basically a series of long handoffs - Seals seems a better fit. We have seen glimpses of that methodical offense, but if you're planning around a methodical consistent offense it needs to be methodical and consistent.

This is probably a coin-toss call and I can certainly see the argument both ways.

dorefaninktown
Petty Officer

Re: Let's go ahead and have a QB controversy

Post by dorefaninktown »

To me it is not a controversy about them as individuals but rather what type of offense we want to be, a hybrid spread option or a pro style.
Labradore
Lieutenant

Post by Labradore »

Controversy?… nonsense; play them… utilize them both.
Showingold
Lieutenant

Post by Showingold »

I would start Wright. His threat to run opens things up so much.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

A more reliable OL would make the decision much easier. As it is can't expect either a good pocket or good run blocking. Decent OL and I would say Seals; our OL and would say Wright's athleticism helps when things breakdown as they so often do.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Wright was able to scramble out of trouble and find his receivers for big plays against South Carolina, but could he do that against better defenses like Georgia, Kentucky, etc.?
Johnmn555
Rear Admiral

Post by Johnmn555 »

I thought that SC was not prepared for Wright and initially had trouble with him but adjusted and largely shut him down after we went up 17-14. I think this game underscores the viability of using both QBs to keep the opposition off balance.

We seem to be more adventuresome in terms of the playbook with Wright in there.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

I think Seals definitely has the higher ceiling. However...

Seals has not grasped the offense, and it has showed the first half of the season. He has been totally ineffective.

Wright has running ability, but had very little arm. He is good at floating passes, up to 30-40 yards, but that will get eaten up for INT's by most defenses. He can't zip a pass more than 25 yards from where he's standing.

My decision would be... Seals is no good if he doesn't understand the more complicated offense. Shelve Seals for the year so he can concentrate on and perfect that for next year. Just use Wright for the rest of the year. Zero arm strength but he has some good wheels and opposing defenses have to account for it. And you can't EVER let Wright run around and have some receiver open up downfield because even soft passes can be completed for big gains--see the SC game.
belair
Rear Admiral

Post by belair »

Seals is the better thrower. That does not mean the better passer. Decisions, accuracy, and lack of mobility have been a problem.
I have been firmly in agreement to have Seals get the reps in games to see if these things can improve. They haven't. Who knows what he could have done against SC.
What Wright did bring was less predictability and more energy. Perhaps behind the scenes he is favored by his teammates. Impossible to know. We were able to score against a not so elite SEC defense.
Coaches obviously pulled the plug on him with very specific instructions to throw the ball away if nothing immediately open once we got the lead.
I thought his lack of arm strength would make him too much of a liability to be effective. Now not so sure.
I stick with him as the starter this weekend and see what happens. He certainly did enough to win
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

i agree with all the opinions above. While players egos may be fragile, I too think some form of mixing these guys up might be the most efficient way to go, particularly against Mizzu and maybe MSU. I think the two different styles may keep lesser defenses off balance and lead to some success. I share the concern that Wright's weaker arm could lead to interceptions against stronger/faster defenses but on the other hand if we can't block for Seals it really doesn't matter. Interested to see how we go next week
Locked Previous topicNext topic