Our last play

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Our last play

Post by charlestonalum »

4 th and 7 within FG range and we run left into line: what was the thinking?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Our last play

Post by admin »

Good question. My son said that was a quarterback draw but I think now. Doesn't the QB have to have the ball for it to be a QB draw?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

And it really cost us too. We had 80 yards total offense and that knocked us down to 77. Dang. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

A field goal would have ended the game on at least a little positive. 4th & 7 run-up middle was a damn joke! What a BS call by Coaches! If you weren't going to kick do SOMETHING other than up the middle! THAT just told me this staff has a LONG way to go. AWFUL play call!! 3 points would have at least avoided the skunk....and ended on a positive.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Lea just said in the post game that it was a missed signal: coaches and QB are responsible for running a play not called. To Lea's credit he took responsibility for the whole thing. Said week if practice indicated it would be the kind of game it was. Coaches and players must improve.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

The team was under a ton of pressure by GA the whole game....how about putting LEA under some pressure in the post-game questioning? All we heard were softball questions and Lea giving a lot of crap coachspeak!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:49 pm Lea just said in the post game that it was a missed signal: coaches and QB are responsible for running a play not called. To Lea's credit he took responsibility for the whole thing. Said week if practice indicated it would be the kind of game it was. Coaches and players must improve.
Was someone wearing their wristband upside down?
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Folks, this disparity in talent did not START in December 2020. Not even Nick Saban could snap his fingers over this program and make it competitive in this game. And that is NOT a comment on the players effort.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

under 100 yards of total offense means you totally have a horrible coaching staff. It's hard to get that few of yards. I'm tired about hearing about talent gaps. Winning and losing is about talent. Being inept is about bad coaching. 2 out of 3 games we are inept. And this is only the beginning.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Nashmann wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:49 pm A field goal would have ended the game on at least a little positive.
I just got home from the game, haven't read any of the Game Thread, but wanted to chime in on the "decision" to go for a first down on fourth and long on our last offensive play.

Agreed: A made field goal would have ended the game on a positive note.
Also: Bulovas needed an opportunity for redemption. This made it look like Coach didn't have faith in him.
Finally: If we're going for it, a run into the line should not have been the play.

As for, "...it was a missed signal." : That's when we use one of our two remaining timeouts.

The entire game was a mess, but we never had a chance. Let's just get over this loss and try to right the ship for the remainder of the season.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Respect to those who actually witnessed the last play of the game. It's like watching a really, really bad B-horror movie in its entirety and then sticking around for the credits. If you remained at the stadium to finish this game, that's some Vandy fan bonus points - you know a free cup or something that someone discarded.

Actually all the cups in my home growing up were Vandy cups we would collect after games and wash them out - so no judgement.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

Some of you are acting like you expected us to dominate this game and only “bad coaching” prevented it from happening. Georgia is #2 for a reason. They are loaded with five stars, as was mentioned repeatedly in the broadcast. We have essentially the same players as last year, minus the big three, that went 0-fer for the year.
I can see complaints about particular single events, but don’t act like we lost this game just from supposed bad coaching. That’s not remotely realistic.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

kay1092 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:36 pm under 100 yards of total offense means you totally have a horrible coaching staff. It's hard to get that few of yards. I'm tired about hearing about talent gaps. Winning and losing is about talent. Being inept is about bad coaching. 2 out of 3 games we are inept. And this is only the beginning.
I disagree with your thoughts.
Locked Previous topicNext topic