Swamp Bound?

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

Swamp Bound?

Post by mtnvandy »

Gents et al

Although I had no intention of going, as I
Was offered 4 free good tix to VU @ UF & a ride from Tampa, looks like I will be attending the UF game.

Anybody else going?

MtnVandy

commadore
Admiral

Re: Swamp Bound?

Post by commadore »

Take a raincoat. Folks above you are want to dump bourbon and coke on the heads of opponents' fans.
mtnvandy
Captain

Commadore

Post by mtnvandy »

Fyi I have been to many VU events @ UF & never had an issue.

The closest thing I saw to a problem was during the only night game we have had at The Swamp in 20 years iirc.

Jay Cutler’s Dad, a bricklayer/highway patrolman took exception to some awful things UF kids in the student section were saying & had to be restrained from issuing corrective measures.

Not saying you did not have an issue Commadore, just that I never have.

MtnVandy
commadore
Admiral

Re: Commadore

Post by commadore »

mtnvandy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:31 am Fyi I have been to many VU events @ UF & never had an issue.

The closest thing I saw to a problem was during the only night game we have had at The Swamp in 20 years iirc.

Jay Cutler’s Dad, a bricklayer/highway patrolman took exception to some awful things UF kids in the student section were saying & had to be restrained from issuing corrective measures.

Not saying you did not have an issue Commadore, just that I never have.

MtnVandy
Actually, I didn't have an issue. I have a masters in tax from Florida and was there as a Florida student. But, during the Auburn game I had two friends who had a B&C dumped on them. Now that was a long tome ago, but have had friends go several times over the last few years who have been dumped on. The last one was in 2019.
mtnvandy
Captain

Post by mtnvandy »

I think SEC fans generally treat VU fans better than those of other schools. UT may be an exception. I am generally struck by how gracious opposing fans treat me as a VU fan on the road.
Labradore
Lieutenant

Post by Labradore »

Same experience of being treated well on the road. Great time at Texas A&M… even better at the Grove in Oxford. The one exception has been Knoxville. I guess that’s the nature of a rivalry, but it’s still disappointing behavior from adults.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

mtnvandy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:05 am I think SEC fans generally treat VU fans better than those of other schools. UT may be an exception. I am generally struck by how gracious opposing fans treat me as a VU fan on the road.
Following Vandy's 1984 win over Bama in Tuscaloosa, a Vandy fan and alum was complimenting the home team fans at Bryant-Denny to me on how respectful and complimentary they were to him and his family both during and after the game. I told him how that made me proud as a fan and native Alabamian, as I looked up at his 6'-8", 375 pound frame. (I'm sure that had nothing to do with the respect given, lol)
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Let's not strain our arms patting the backs of the Unwashed Orange for their noble sportsmanship. IMO, their "fans" who called our coach the N-word during a game will permanently remain beneath contempt.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

coachinwaiting wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am
mtnvandy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:05 am I think SEC fans generally treat VU fans better than those of other schools. UT may be an exception. I am generally struck by how gracious opposing fans treat me as a VU fan on the road.
Following Vandy's 1984 win over Bama in Tuscaloosa, a Vandy fan and alum was complimenting the home team fans at Bryant-Denny to me on how respectful and complimentary they were to him and his family both during and after the game. I told him how that made me proud as a fan and native Alabamian, as I looked up at his 6'-8", 375 pound frame. (I'm sure that had nothing to do with the respect given, lol)
I was at that game too, as a guest of an Alabama grad. After the game, we went to his frat house where we got some good natured kidding and all we could eat and drink (which at that time was a lot). That is how it is supposed to be.

But I have found uthug to be the worst and the gators to be next in line.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

commadore wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 am
coachinwaiting wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am
I was at that game too, as a guest of an Alabama grad. After the game, we went to his frat house where we got some good natured kidding and all we could eat and drink (which at that time was a lot). That is how it is supposed to be.

But I have found uthug to be the worst and the gators to be next in line.
I was working that Saturday, in Nashville, and listened to the game on radio. It was somewhat disheartening to listen to my team lose a game in a series it had won every year since 1970, but with that '84 Bama season quickly spiraling downward and Vandy going to 4-0 with the win, there was a little bit of satisfaction in it too. The next week, seeing VU fans seem to emerge from all over, actually decorating cars with the score and signs/flags, it felt even better. Sadly, that feeling didn't last and both teams ended 5-6. But, by virtue of the head-to-head win, Vandy can claim to have finished ahead of Alabama in the conference race that year at 2-4.
shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Post by shelbz75 »

I have attended Vanderbilt games at Tennessee, MTSU, Bama, Ole Miss, and MSU. The best host by far were Bama and Ole Miss (though I have several past co workers that have a tailgate in the Grove & one of my former players is a WR at Ole Miss now so I am biased). MTSU is the worst I have been around believe it or not, UT wasn't great and I got the drift my second time attending a Vandy vs MSU game that we are not well liked in Starkville.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

shelbz75 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:39 pm I have attended Vanderbilt games at Tennessee, MTSU, Bama, Ole Miss, and MSU. The best host by far were Bama and Ole Miss (though I have several past co workers that have a tailgate in the Grove & one of my former players is a WR at Ole Miss now so I am biased). MTSU is the worst I have been around believe it or not, UT wasn't great and I got the drift my second time attending a Vandy vs MSU game that we are not well liked in Starkville.
I have encountered Ole Miss fans at a Vandy game in Nashville some years ago (1992, I believe) and they were very pleasant and sportsmanlike. However, they were not of the student-generation, or even the younger set, but closer to parents of students generation. That would likely make a difference.
Locked Previous topicNext topic