OT-XCJF & SEC Refs??

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

mtnvandy
Captain

OT-XCJF & SEC Refs??

Post by mtnvandy »

Based on the comedy video just out abt SEC refs for AUB @ PENN ST, assuming the refs were pretty bad ( pro AUB)

Wonder how well xCJF knew this SEC crew?

Also trying to recall how badly VU was treated by SEC refs under xCJF.

The Swamp fiasco was under xCBJ, iirc

MtnVandy

Golddore68
Admiral

Re: OT-XCJF & SEC Refs??

Post by Golddore68 »

We had some very bad calls in the game we lost in OT to UT when CJF was our coach. IIRC, there was a controversial fumble call that went against Vanderbilt that cost us a touchdown.

Also in another UT game, that we won when CJF was our coach, there were two awful calls that CJF challenged and they reversed the calls. One of them was on a third down play, the runner was clearly short of the first down but the refs ruled it was a first down, CJF challenged and they reversed and corrected the spot and it wasn’t a first down.
Vandy84
Ensign

Post by Vandy84 »

Golddore68 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm We had some very bad calls in the game we lost in OT to UT when CJF was our coach. IIRC, there was a controversial fumble call that went against Vanderbilt that cost us a touchdown.

Also in another UT game, that we won when CJF was our coach, there were two awful calls that CJF challenged and they reversed the calls. One of them was on a third down play, the runner was clearly short of the first down but the refs ruled it was a first down, CJF challenged and they reversed and corrected the spot and it wasn’t a first down.
I thought the bad spot call was on a fourth down QB sneak on Vanderbilt's final drive.
The ref who marked the spot ran at an obvious angle to move the ball back.
The spot was reviewed, VU got the first down, scored on the drive and won.
DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

Watched much of the game and the SEC crew did yeoman's work in trying to keep Aubie in the game. The two most glaring examples were the two intentional grounding calls many are still talking about on social media. PSU QB was in the pocket with no pressure and Is clearly staring down his receiver and waiting for a break. Once the receiver hit "his spot" the QB threw to a spot he thought the receiver would break to but the receiver read the defense differently and broke the opposite direction. The officiating crew got together and dropped a flag for intentional grounding. Very poor call which was further enhanced when AU's QB Cox in the 4th qtr was under pressure, turned and heaved the ball 5o avoid a sack. He was clearly in the pocket and no receiver in the same area code. Officials got together and decided there was no grounding on the play. And yes, both calls had an immediate impact.

Fwiw, the SEC office official stance on the Memphis- MissStake game tells all that is needed to be known about the current mindset of SEC leadership and the lack of integrity oozing out of that office. For anyone who hasn't heard about it: Missy punted the ball and several of their players made contact with the ball but none technically downed it, ie; made all movement stop or obtain possession. The Memphis returner picked it up and ran for 90+ yd TD while the Bulldog players were trying to figure out what was going on. One official threw a blue beanie where it was first touched and a second official tossed a blue beanie where it was picked up by the returner and threw his arm up and ran to the spot but correctly did not blow a whistle. It was correctly ruled a TD but the SEC office lambasted the officials in an official statement saying the play should have been blown dead and sent to replay. They basically called out their own officials for not openly cheating for the SEC team!
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

On the final drive of the 2012 opener against South Carolina, Jordan Matthews got mauled by a SC defender on a 4th and long play. I believe he got one hand on the ball and had a shot at making the catch, despite the fact that his other arm was being held by the defender all the way down the sideline. No call, no flags, and we lost 17-14. Who's to say that the 15 yards and first down would have resulted in us winning the game, but the lack of call there sure lost it for us.
NWOHDore
Lieutenant

Post by NWOHDore »

DivergentDore wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:38 pm It was correctly ruled a TD but the SEC office lambasted the officials in an official statement saying the play should have been blown dead and sent to replay. They basically called out their own officials for not openly cheating for the SEC team!
I thought officials were supposed to hold off on blowing the whistle and let the play, unfold precisely so it can all be sussed out via replay. if the officials had blown the play dead, even if replay confirmed it was indeed a live and returnable ball, Memphis would have been forced to take possession at the spot of the recovery.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

DivergentDore
Commander

Post by DivergentDore »

NWOHDore wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:09 pm
DivergentDore wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:38 pm It was correctly ruled a TD but the SEC office lambasted the officials in an official statement saying the play should have been blown dead and sent to replay. They basically called out their own officials for not openly cheating for the SEC team!
I thought officials were supposed to hold off on blowing the whistle and let the play, unfold precisely so it can all be sussed out via replay. if the officials had blown the play dead, even if replay confirmed it was indeed a live and returnable ball, Memphis would have been forced to take possession at the spot of the recovery.
You are correct and the officials did the appropriate thing by allowing the legal play (according to rulebook) play out without a whistle. SEC head honchos are scumbags for calling their own officiating crew out on social media when the correct call was made.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

NWOHDore wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm On the final drive of the 2012 opener against South Carolina, Jordan Matthews got mauled by a SC defender on a 4th and long play. I believe he got one hand on the ball and had a shot at making the catch, despite the fact that his other arm was being held by the defender all the way down the sideline. No call, no flags, and we lost 17-14. Who's to say that the 15 yards and first down would have resulted in us winning the game, but the lack of call there sure lost it for us.
I remember that South Carolina game and that call. I was all in with James Franklin and my seat at the stadium gave me a great view of that very play. Yes, I believe that Jordan was interfered with. I'm not sure how the game would have turned out, had that been the call. I do know, though, that Franklin endeared me even more to his coaching after the game. I remember him saying something to the effect that, "yes, it might have been a penalty, but we have to learn to fight through those things and make the catch anyway." I thought, this guy is a great Vanderbilt coach.

Of course, no one is perfect and Franklin got into some situations which ultimately made his decision to leave a little more likely. I wish those situations had not had not come up or that he had handled them differently. Who knows what would have happened? I guess you need to learn to fight through those things and overcome them.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Vandy was also the victim of an inadvertent whistle that was never acknowledged by the officials in the 2011 UT game. In OT, Jordan Rodgers threw an interception that was returned by Tennessee to win the game. But another official had blown his whistle to stop play, so many of the VU players never gave pursuit. The officiating crew never acknowledged the whistle.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:08 pm Vandy was also the victim of an inadvertent whistle that was never acknowledged by the officials in the 2011 UT game. In OT, Jordan Rodgers threw an interception that was returned by Tennessee to win the game. But another official had blown his whistle to stop play, so many of the VU players never gave pursuit. The officiating crew never acknowledged the whistle.
It was the interception, not a fumble, that happened that cost us the game. But as Auric pointed out, the refs had blown the play dead so they shouldn’t have allowed the return for a touchdown.
Locked Previous topicNext topic