Tennessean (premium): Vandy's Clark Lea isn't trying to be 'Stanford of the South'

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

BrentVU
Site Admin

Tennessean (premium): Vandy's Clark Lea isn't trying to be 'Stanford of the South'

Post by BrentVU »

But ultimately, Lea isn't trying to turn Vanderbilt into Stanford. While the first matchup between the two invites comparison, the two schools are in different locations with different vibes and have different things to offer. Lea is quick to say he respects the way Shaw has maintained success at a strong academic institution. But there isn't one formula for success, and Lea doesn't want to be the "Stanford of the South." He wants his program to be simply Vanderbilt, and to have that mean something unique.

More...

Tennessean (premium): Vandy's Clark Lea isn't trying to be 'Stanford of the South' (by Aria Gerson)
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 276650002/

dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Re: Tennessean (premium): Vandy's Clark Lea isn't trying to be 'Stanford of the South'

Post by dorepleganger »

Perhaps Stanford can stop trying to be "Vanderbilt of the West" and everyone can draw down.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tennessean (premium): Vandy's Clark Lea isn't trying to be 'Stanford of the South'

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I feel like we already tried to sprinkle "Stanford fairy dust" on the program when we hired Derek Mason, without (1) realizing what that takes, and (2) not thinking about whether he was the right choice for our program at the time.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:02 pm I feel like we already tried to sprinkle "Stanford fairy dust" on the program when we hired Derek Mason, without (1) realizing what that takes, and (2) not thinking about whether he was the right choice for our program at the time.

I think Franklin left us at a critical time, with only a limited time remaining before national signing day. The timing could have surprised the AD. He may not have prepared a backup plan with a list of possible replacements in case Franklin left. Speculation on my part.

But, the AD did have a limited number of choices for head coach. Even worse, being so late in the recruiting cycle Mason had few potential assistants available. Those who were going to change jobs had already done so.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

I totally agree that Jimmie left Vanderbilt in the lurch with the timing of his departure and his poaching of recruits (which is why I always smile when his team loses today) however, that doesn’t cover the poor hires Mason made years down the road. I was on Mason’s bandwagon at first but that wore off quickly.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I kind of agree with Shaw's sentiment - they are the best option amongst those 4 schools (Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, Northwestern) for exactly the reasons he stated. I mean Franklin's recruiting pitch was world class education, play in the SEC to which he quickly switched to world class education, play in the BIG 10 when he left for PSU. if you have it, flaunt it and Stanford has it. But I still hate San Francisco as a city and wouldn't live there if you paid me six figures to do it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic