The sound system is horrible

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

PeteFox
Vice Admiral

Re: The sound system is horrible

Post by PeteFox »

A response like this, with no reference to the complaint, is the hallmark of the formula response to every complaint. Means the complaint was shit-canned.

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

It referenced the gameday experience, which the sound system is part of. She thanked you and said they're reviewing things and will consider adjustments.

Frankly, I'd rather she focus on things other than a long, detailed response to every fan complaint. But hey, that's just me.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:43 am
OldDude wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:16 am
Nashmann wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:31 pm I sent an email to Candice about it....here is her answer...

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback— it is helpful to us. We have been reviewing different aspects of the gameday experience, and will adjust as needed.

We appreciate your support—
Candice
A totally canned response that could apply to almost every email received .
I don't see what's wrong with her response.
There really is nothing wrong with the response; it's just that it says nothing. Nashmann sent an email on a particular issue, yet it is obvious the response could address anything and everything. Vanderbilt is in a difficult position in that we can't afford inaction while we stand on a precipice: every problem that concerns even a few fans needs to be addressed with a solid display of effort. The number of posts on this board complaining about the volume of the PA and the piped in music surely makes it clear that many have a problem with it. At least prepare a boiler plate response on the particular issue. VU has no choice but to cater to every fan we have.

ps - Please tell me that the AD has someone assigned to read these boards at least once a day. It does provide a snapshot of fan attitudes.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

I would imagine that they DO pay attention to those survey results. They have to pay for using Survey Monkey. And apparently the survey goes to everyone who buys a ticket through them so if enough people respond, it's helpful.

They were listening enough that they upgraded concessions. They improved signage in the concourses. (Large, strategically placed directional signs that included section numbers, rest rooms, first aid, security, and even what's sold at each concession stand, plus everything else you need to know.) Except for the subject of this thread and obviously the outcome of the game, I thought it was a pleasant evening. The restrooms and everything else were clean. The concession folks friendly and efficient.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:26 pm It referenced the gameday experience, which the sound system is part of. She thanked you and said they're reviewing things and will consider adjustments.

Frankly, I'd rather she focus on things other than a long, detailed response to every fan complaint. But hey, that's just me.
The detailed response I got from (now retired person at McGugin) about the gym p.a. system some years ago was quite disturbing... no response or a canned answer would have actually been better than reading the grumpy old guy threatening to (hyperbole of course) cut off Stallings salary and Jenkins schollie funding if a new sound system was installed.

The current A.D. response was quite appropriate and professional in comparison.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I sent a link to this tread to several people including AD. Let us know if anything changes against Stanford. I will not be there to hear.
JCVandyman
Captain

Post by JCVandyman »

Something it appears no one mentioned here is that it looked (and sounded) to me like the entire sound system for the stadium was coming from a stack of speakers set up in the corner of the open endzone. Inexplicably, the PA was much clearer outside the stadium on Jess Neely when we were walking back to the car and was also drowning out the radio broadcast (by the way, the new PBP guy is terrible, Kevin Ingram should have gotten the whole job). I've never been a huge fan of the PA announcer, just think he slurs words a lot and mispronounces sponsor names. Also, yelling First Down!!!! after the other team kicks off to us for the 7th time after scoring is just silly. How these things can be in such disarray after 9 months of the stadium sitting idle and the supposed focus on gameday experience this offseason is beyond me.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

JCVandyman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:41 am Something it appears no one mentioned here is that it looked (and sounded) to me like the entire sound system for the stadium was coming from a stack of speakers set up in the corner of the open endzone. Inexplicably, the PA was much clearer outside the stadium on Jess Neely when we were walking back to the car and was also drowning out the radio broadcast (by the way, the new PBP guy is terrible, Kevin Ingram should have gotten the whole job). I've never been a huge fan of the PA announcer, just think he slurs words a lot and mispronounces sponsor names. Also, yelling First Down!!!! after the other team kicks off to us for the 7th time after scoring is just silly. How these things can be in such disarray after 9 months of the stadium sitting idle and the supposed focus on gameday experience this offseason is beyond me.
I don't know the p.a. announcer's name either, but for the sake of expedience can we just refer to him on here as "mister screamer" and everybody will know what that means... like "BethAnne Rhozhaski" on here or "Captain D's" on that other forum? Like a code nickname.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Please someone who attends in person let us know if the noise is better with regard to piped in blaring "music" and shouting PA. There were plenty of complaints and I know they were heard.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

x

Post by Go Vandy! »

x
Last edited by Go Vandy! on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

What I was told is: "it us hard to find the perfect balance" - there will be some changes, I am sure.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you figure she probably got 150 emails about the sound system I can understand having a sort of canned response. She has a lot on her plate and no time to write a 500-word unique response to 150 people.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

When I wrote AD I meant athletic department and the person who responded was the person in charge of the game day experience - not Candace . So there might be changes. Long Facebook thread in same subject. It is a fixable problem.
TnValleyDore
Rear Admiral

Post by TnValleyDore »

At my first game in about 3 years and the sound experience is definitely worse. ( But it’s fun to be watching a competitive game in person.)
vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl »

What’s frustrating is ANYBODY working in McGugin that actually attends the game has no way of avoiding the horrible sound system. I can’t imagine a single person saying “oh man that music and PA guy are awesome”. They should not need hundreds of complaints to do something about it - it’s obvious as soon as you get inside and is fixable. Turning the volume down halfway would be exponentially better for starters. Send half a dozen people out to the stadium on a Sunday and spend an hour messing with volume levels, EQ etc

Agree completely with the suggestion to stop playing so much loud, crappy music and just let the band play.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:20 pm Please someone who attends in person let us know if the noise is better with regard to piped in blaring "music" and shouting PA. There were plenty of complaints and I know they were heard.
The music still plays, LOTS of people were dancing to it, and the band got ample playing time too (except at halftime, when they consistently seem to be allowed only 3 or 4 songs, even when there is no visiting band). At least at Vanderbilt, it's music and not non-stop, ear-splitting commercials as it is at the pro stadium across the river (or WAS, the last time I was over there).

According to the "Know Before You Go" email I got Thursday, we are supposed to yell "Ahhhhhhhh....Anchor Down!" on all Vanderbilt kickoffs. IF that happened, it was drowned out by the recorded music on every kickoff, which doesn't cut off until the ball is at its peak in the air.

The PA announcer was more restrained, doing the third-down exhortations when it was appropriate and not when it wasn't. In fact, I thought he was pretty good.

The Chik-Fil-A sandwich was good.

And up until the last 2 minutes of the first half, the game was good.

Further your affiant sayeth naught
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 pm When I wrote AD I meant athletic department and the person who responded was the person in charge of the game day experience - not Candace . So there might be changes. Long Facebook thread in same subject. It is a fixable problem.
Who did you email that is responsible for the gameday experience?
Do you have a link to the Facebook thread?
accent grave over the e
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:32 pm When I wrote AD I meant athletic department and the person who responded was the person in charge of the game day experience - not Candace . So there might be changes. Long Facebook thread in same subject. It is a fixable problem.
Who did you email that is responsible for the gameday experience?
Do you have a link to the Facebook thread?
accent grave over the e
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The person in charge of game day experience is Lauren Belisle and her email is: lauren.belisle@Vanderbilt.Edu
She would welcome feedback and has the responsibility for responding to our needs/wishes/complaints or compliments.

The link to the"Commodore Faithful" Facebook thread complaining about the noise is at:

I know the most disturbing thing about this Saturday will be the stadium full of Dawgs, but let us know if the music is still a distraction and the PA announcer is shouting rather than announcing.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Seems to me if they want to strike a "balance" it would be an easy fix. Simply send someone down to Tuscaloosa o e week and Auburn the next. See what they do. Then go to Georgia and LSU. I think that would give you a good idea of what the people want. I know Alabama and Auburn don't blast that crap solidly throughout the game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic