Something to remember as the season nears

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

historybill
Admiral

Something to remember as the season nears

Post by historybill »

Under new Tennessee law, no taxpayer funded institution of division thereof (such as the athletic department of a public university) can require its students to get the COVID vaccine. Also, under federal law, there is no way to request the names of the student athletes who refuse to get the vaccine.

As I understand it, this law (when it was being debated) WOULD have applied to Vanderbilt, but the university's lobbyists had it rewritten to exclude PRIVATE universities. (Had they not done this, Vanderbilt probably would not have been able to play Miss State in the college world series final.)

This new state law explains why Vanderbilt is REQUIRING its students to get the COVID vaccine, but the University of Tennessee RECOMMENDS its students get the vaccine.

So... I can't speak for ALL of Vanderbilt's opponents... but the first team on the schedule and the last team on the schedule are both public universities in Tennessee. For all Vanderbilt knows, NONE of those players are being vaccinated, and if the new UT coach tries to force his players to get vaccinated, he will be immediately fired (or worse). So if COVID continues its rampage through the non-vaccinated majority of southerners, keep in mind that there's a BIG distinction between the vaccination rates of private and public universities in the South.

Also, I wouldn''t be surprised if Tennessee's new law is similar to new laws in Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Florida and Georgia. I hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but a vast majority of the state legislators and governors in the South don't believe in the vaccine, and many of them still maintain that COVID is a hoax.

This is a long-winded way of saying that if you think we are going to have a "normal" football season, you be wrong. The Vanderbilt athletic department may still have some tough decisions to make about whether to play these games or not.

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Re: Something to remember as the season nears

Post by LawoftheWest »

Thank you Historybill,

I have read all kinds of excuses why people do not want to get vaccinated. They include, "mark of the devil", "not fully tested", "new technology, I will wait to see the results", "the vaccine will change your gender", "the vaccine will change your hormones, your genetics, or whatever". And much more. None valid.

I am so glad that I was vaccinated in February. I have known 4 people who died from COVID (including my next door neighbor), plus one where COVID was a factor. I believe that the lies being spread on social media are destructive to our population.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Ditto Bill. thanks for the info.
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Ditto. My 40-year old daughter near Fort Worth Texas heard a friend say they weren't getting the vaccine because it contained tracking nanobots. And the friend was serious.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

I can see a scenario where ADCL is scrambling for replacement options if ETSU is unable to play because of COVID in week one. Some other private universities that may need a substitute for a public university unable to play include Rice (vs Arkansas) and Gardner Webb (vs Georgia So). And, for a sure loss but a nice side story Notre Dame (vs Florida state). I’m guessing all in conference games will be rescheduled if possible or forfeited.
Last edited by MikenNashville on Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

of little consequence, but i'm pretty sure the citadel is a sc public institution.
MikenNashville
Captain

Post by MikenNashville »

Doc you are correct according to the Google so I've removed that one.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

docdore wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:26 pm of little consequence, but i'm pretty sure the citadel is a sc public institution.
Yes it is: The Citadel us the military college if South Carolina established in 1842.
2kidsthere
Rear Admiral

Post by 2kidsthere »

Bill can you please provide the links to back up this statement:

I hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but a vast majority of the state legislators and governors in the South don't believe in the vaccine, and many of them still maintain that COVID is a hoax.
2kidsthere
Rear Admiral

Post by 2kidsthere »

2kidsthere wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:27 am Bill can you please provide the links to back up this statement:

“ I hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but a vast majority of the state legislators and governors in the South don't believe in the vaccine, and many of them still maintain that COVID is a hoax.”
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

historybill wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:21 pmI hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but a vast majority of the state legislators and governors in the South don't believe in the vaccine, and many of them still maintain that COVID is a hoax.
The SEC states lead the country in stupid.
coachinwaiting
Admiral

Post by coachinwaiting »

If the opposition is unable to field a team, wouldn't it just result in a forfeit?

If they unknowingly have a participant in the game that is positive for COVID-19, wouldn't the vaccinations protect the Vanderbilt players from getting it?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

2kidsthere wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:31 am
2kidsthere wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:27 am Bill can you please provide the links to back up this statement:

“ I hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but a vast majority of the state legislators and governors in the South don't believe in the vaccine, and many of them still maintain that COVID is a hoax.”
Well, Alabama's governor is not one of them. You can't turn on the tv without seeing a state sponsored "get your shots" commercial. Unfortunately, to date it isn't helping a lot.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Doreknox wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:03 am
historybill wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:21 pmI hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but a vast majority of the state legislators and governors in the South don't believe in the vaccine, and many of them still maintain that COVID is a hoax.
The SEC states lead the country in stupid.
Dolly Parton Tried. But Tennessee Is Squandering a Miracle.

If it helps, Vanderbilt is in the first sentence.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

I hate to be the one to break it to everyone, but a vast majority of the state legislators and governors in the South don't believe in the vaccine, and many of them still maintain that COVID is a hoax.
Why expect somebody else to look it up for you?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

VU1970 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Why expect somebody else to look it up for you?
Well, because I know for a fact that isn't the case in Alabama and if not here, probably not in most Southern states.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Google the words "Vanderbilt University COVID policy" and you will see that Vanderbilt requires all its students to be vaccinated.

Then google the words "____ University COVID policy," using the names of other SEC schools (Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, etc) and you will find that none of them requires its students to be vaccinated.

(If I am missing something, I will stand corrected. Some of these are easier to dig up than others, and in some cases the information is more clear than others.)

Then, check out Duke, Harvard, the University of Colorado, the University of California system. All of these universities I just named require the vaccine.

Again... you can thank state governments for this. I am sure that the university presidents believe in vaccinations, but state legislators and governors not so much.

Just remember that this fall, only 1 of the 14 SEC teams will be vaccinated. The Vanderbilt team will be the only one, and don't be shocked if they get mocked and taunted for it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic