Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Gift Cards Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything
VandyMania is a proud Fanatics affiliate. Help us earn commisions (8%) buy purchasing Vandy gear.

It's happening

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Re: It's happening

Post by OldDude » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:58 pm

fldore wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:20 pm
Are there rules around which current students can walk on mid season and which can't? We have a men's club soccer team do we not? And if so assuming it is filled with guys who played soccer seriously their entire life up until college. And pretty confident any number of them would have a stronger leg than she would. Barring specific ncaa rules I'm unaware of, I have a hard time believing she is the single best option we have on campus. Instead this sounds like a real nice feel good story for a school that lately prides itself on being as woke as possible. Not a publicity stunt? Feels like one to me.

I'll root for her to do well. And hopefully she makes every kick they ask of her. I just hope no one is putting her in a position to embarass herself. If they've seen her practice all week and they know she can't kick it more than 40 yards let's say, don't put her in a bad position and ask her to do something she can't.
[/quote
Will cheer for her as well and would cheer even louder if she could play cornerback.
0 x

VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:04 pm

We should let her be the head coach!
2 x

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 pm

VUPKS wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:04 pm
We should let her be the head coach!
Now that would make more sense. I hear about this perfect storm of how every scholarship and walk-on athlete who has ever kicked a football at Vanderbilt is quarantined and by happenstance there is this goalkeeper on the women's soccer team is ready and able to do the job ... but I don't buy it. This isn't some courageous statement of women's rights and gender equity but rather it feels like a cheap publicity stunt and a distraction from the coaching, player departures and winless football that is the current state of Vandy football.

My reaction is .. whatever! This has passed laughable and moved into just plain bizarre and pathetic.
1 x

vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:21 pm

How many kids do you think are on VU's campus that kicked footballs in high school? I don't mean kids on the team I just mean students that have football kicking experience but now are just students. Must be a couple dozen, right?

Any of them would likely be a better option would it not?

Agree with FLDore - I hope she nails every kick we ask her to make.

Hilarious the comment about her playing DB
0 x

JWCommodore
Rear Admiral

Post by JWCommodore » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:22 pm

I plan to be watching and cheering for her and the 'Dores to get win in Columbia this week.
1 x

geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:23 pm

charlestonalum wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:54 pm
More power to all concerned and if some fans are offended - too bad. I hope for all concerned this works .
I don't think the posters here or other fans in general are "offended" by this, but rather feel this move is dragging the program further into "clown show" territory. And they further wonder if this is indeed the best solution to the problem of needing an emergency placekicker. Those who question this move are not necessarily reactionary Nazi sexists.
1 x

4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Even assuming there are men on campus who have played competitive soccer or who have kicked a football in their time, is it really out of the realm of possibility that a scholarship women's soccer player in a high-major conference is the best option? Surely she'd be in the top one percentile at least.

This is not a rhetorical question and I'm not being snide. I have a thousand criticisms of Mason but I'm not assuming that this is anything other than a decision to suit up the best possible kicker.
1 x

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:39 pm

I will say it again for those of y’all that keep missing the point: we do not have a varsity men’s soccer team. Having a club team is irrelevant because they would not be subject to the required SEC Covid testing protocols.

We had no choice in this situation but to bring in a player from another varsity team. Many of those teams were out of season and therefore not subject to the necessary protocols. However, by fortune, our only varsity soccer team had played Sunday, impressively winning an SEC championship!

Given the lack of other options, we’re fortunate to have someone who can at least kick a ball. And Sarah was willing to give up her Thanksgiving break. We should be thanking her, not criticizing her or the program (on this issue at least). This is just an impossible situation and we’re doing the best we can with it.
8 x

Johnmn555
Captain

Post by Johnmn555 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:44 pm

What does this do for the morale of the team? Isn't this an unwanted distraction? Do players on an 0-7 team appreciate being reduced to a curiosity or novelty, to be noted on TV segments that mention Vanderbilt football once every ten years? Were questions like these considered before we suited this woman up?

Whoever ends up kicking on Saturday, we'd probably be better off going for two after touchdowns and going for first downs on fourth down. You need an over 80% chance of getting a PAT to make it better than a 40% chance of getting a two point conversion, and it doesn't sound like Ms. Fuller or anyone else available is likely to make over 80% of PATs. We don't don't need a woman soccer player to do squib kicks on kick offs.
2 x

historybill
Vice Admiral

Post by historybill » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Johnmn555 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:44 pm
What does this do for the morale of the team? Isn't this an unwanted distraction? Do players on an 0-7 team appreciate being reduced to a curiosity or novelty, to be noted on TV segments that mention Vanderbilt football once every ten years? Were questions like these considered before we suited this woman up?

Whoever ends up kicking on Saturday, we'd probably be better off going for two after touchdowns and going for first downs on fourth down. You need an over 80% chance of getting a PAT to make it better than a 40% chance of getting a two point conversion, and it doesn't sound like Ms. Fuller or anyone else available is likely to make over 80% of PATs. We don't don't need a woman soccer player to do squib kicks on kick offs.
Bingo.

In one day, having attended 1-2 practices, she has received more publicity than any other Vanderbilt "football player" in the Mason era. She's a top headline on ESPN; a story in the Washington Post; and I'm sure Sports Illustrated can't be far behind. Truth be known, this has already received more publicity than Vanderbilt will receive when Mason is fired.
2 x

Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:53 pm

This continues the trend of Vanderbilt to be politically correct. We have a minority female as AD, a minority football coach and men’s basketball coach and female lgbt as our women’s basketball coach. Now we’re adding a female kicker. I shudder to think what will happen when Corbin retires.
1 x

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:58 pm

JWCommodore wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:22 pm
I plan to be watching and cheering for her and the 'Dores to get win in Columbia this week.

I totally agree!!

She just made the CBS Evening News, in a positive way.

Go Sarah Go!

Kick Sarah Kick!
0 x
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate..

4timenatlchamps
Admiral

Post by 4timenatlchamps » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Golddore68 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:53 pm
This continues the trend of Vanderbilt to be politically correct. We have a minority female as AD, a minority football coach and men’s basketball coach and female lgbt as our women’s basketball coach. Now we’re adding a female kicker. I shudder to think what will happen when Corbin retires.
I just rolled my eyes so hard that they fell out of my head.
0 x

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Golddore68 wrote:
I'm breaking my pledge to myself to post only positive posts:

I shudder to think that someone like you is still around. The 20th Century wants you back.

Or maybe you're being satirical.
Last edited by FayetteDore on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate..

NateSY
Captain

Post by NateSY » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:12 pm

4timenatlchamps wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:00 pm
Golddore68 wrote:
I just rolled my eyes so hard that they fell out of my head.
Saaaaaame
0 x

jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:24 pm

Nobody seems to ask some obvious questions. If the snap is fumbled, does she try to recover it? or run ? Are you ok with a 6' 5'' linebacker cleaning her clock? Do you expect her to try to make a tackle if the kick is blocked? Do we expect our SEC opponents to hit her or not? Are they liable somehow any more than if she were a regular team member?

This stunt, if it occurs, seems to be a rather poorly conceived and opportunistic publicity ploy.
And we will look like clowns to the rest of the country, if it occurs.

This is a very bad idea.
0 x

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Golddore68 wrote:
Don't blanket label all non-white male player/coach acquisitions as "politically correct." Our AD deserved the damn job regardless of gender or skin over.

This young lady deserves a chance to kick if she is the best we available.
3 x
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g

geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:41 pm

jpmando wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:24 pm
Nobody seems to ask some obvious questions. If the snap is fumbled, does she try to recover it? or run ? Are you ok with a 6' 5'' linebacker cleaning her clock? Do you expect her to try to make a tackle if the kick is blocked? Do we expect our SEC opponents to hit her or not? Are they liable somehow any more than if she were a regular team member?

This stunt, if it occurs, seems to be a rather poorly conceived and opportunistic publicity ploy.
And we will look like clowns to the rest of the country, if it occurs.

This is a very bad idea.
She'll be wearing a red jersey. Problem solved.
0 x

VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:53 pm

I really don’t care who suits up if they can play...The only headline I care about is Vandy beats Missouri. Who cares if she goes 2-3 and we lose. I want our football team to win. I don’t care who suits up. Win the dang game!!!!
0 x

VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm

I bet she kicks tomorrow. Nothing more important than being woke!
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic