Main VandyMania.com Page

POLITICAL, RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS DISCUSSIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED.

New OC Candidates

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.

Moderators: Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates

Vandyfb1

New OC Candidates

Postby Vandyfb1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 am

Does anyone have any knowledge of who we are going after?
Whoever we get, I hope he can recruit and is a creative mind.

WiscerDore

Re: New OC Candidates

Postby WiscerDore » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Vandyfb1 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge of who we are going after?
Whoever we get, I hope he can recruit and is a creative mind.

To bad Bob Stitt,who was an offensive analyst for Oklahoma State last year and previous head coach of College of the Mines, was just hired as offensive coordinator at Texas State. He is known for having one of the most creative offensive minds around. That would have been interesting!

VandyD

Postby VandyD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Wonder if there is any chance we can bring back Herb Hand. He's Co OC/ oline coach for Texas. Obviously we can't get in a bidding match with the Longhorns but maybe he wants to prove himself as a full time OC.

ChattaDore

Postby ChattaDore » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Eric Eidsness
OC South Dakota State U.

This is just my opinion that he would be a great fit and a great coordinator for the offenseive weopons we have coming back. Do your own research but this dude is for real.

Nashmann

Postby Nashmann » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:10 pm

ChattaDore wrote:Eric Eidsness
OC South Dakota State U.

This is just my opinion that he would be a great fit and a great coordinator for the offenseive weopons we have coming back. Do your own research but this dude is for real.

Looks like a great suggestion....he would make a great Assistant as his head coaching record not so good. His offense would appear to work well at Vandy with who we have coming back. I wonder what kind of recruiter he is?

AuricGoldfinger

Postby AuricGoldfinger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:06 pm

So much of this decision depends on what offense Mason wants to run. That's why it feels nearly impossible to predict who the OC will be. If Mason insists on running a pro style offense, like he has the last five years, it will be someone who can teach and call that style.
Vanderbilt, here's your blueprint for success in today's fan marketplace: https://www.anchorofgold.com/2018/2/12/ ... y-s-sports

ANCHORDOWN01

Postby ANCHORDOWN01 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Were not getting an Air Raid or spread offense , not sure why Vandy fans keep thinking that is going to happen. Nothing is impossible but it would be completely out of character for Mason. Ludwig ran a spread offense his first stint at Utah but Mason didn't let him run that.

AuricGoldfinger wrote:So much of this decision depends on what offense Mason wants to run. That's why it feels nearly impossible to predict who the OC will be. If Mason insists on running a pro style offense, like he has the last five years, it will be someone who can teach and call that style.

Seadog73

Mason's O

Postby Seadog73 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 pm

In another thread here (I believe, but maybe elsewhere) there was a note that Mason had met with the team at the time of the Ludwig announcement. Mason told the team he wanted a more open, diverse offense, as I recall. If this is true, then we should be excited about the future.

1845_Bear

Postby 1845_Bear » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:05 pm

ANCHORDOWN01 wrote:Were not getting an Air Raid or spread offense , not sure why Vandy fans keep thinking that is going to happen. Nothing is impossible but it would be completely out of character for Mason. Ludwig ran a spread offense his first stint at Utah but Mason didn't let him run that.

AuricGoldfinger wrote:So much of this decision depends on what offense Mason wants to run. That's why it feels nearly impossible to predict who the OC will be. If Mason insists on running a pro style offense, like he has the last five years, it will be someone who can teach and call that style.

I don’t think Vandy will go with a full spread option or air raid. I could see a Chip Kelly style power spread with a pro style pass tree like Baylor runs under Rhule which will use the QB run if needed but doesn’t rely on it.

I could see a Fedora type of scheme work well long term.

Matt2309

Re: Mason's O

Postby Matt2309 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Seadog73 wrote:In another thread here (I believe, but maybe elsewhere) there was a note that Mason had met with the team at the time of the Ludwig announcement. Mason told the team he wanted a more open, diverse offense, as I recall. If this is true, then we should be excited about the future.

He did tell the team that. I would expect a lot more spread/ multiple style this year

DeefromAtlanta

Re: Mason's O

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Matt2309 wrote:
Seadog73 wrote:In another thread here (I believe, but maybe elsewhere) there was a note that Mason had met with the team at the time of the Ludwig announcement. Mason told the team he wanted a more open, diverse offense, as I recall. If this is true, then we should be excited about the future.

He did tell the team that. I would expect a lot more spread/ multiple style this year

Matt, thanks for the information. Whoever is the next OC will still be a bum hire to some here simply because Mason hired them. I also think it's the nature of the position. It's the most second-guessed by fanbases. Personally, I think it's obvious that Mason sees the direction of the game and believes he's got the talent to move that way. I'm encouraged.

Johnmn555

Postby Johnmn555 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:59 pm

It would be foolish to have anything but a diverse offense, because we have a great running back and excellent receivers. I don't know if Mason knows anything about Herb Hand, but a bump up to OC is long overdue for him, and there is probably no reason to believe that he is going to get that chance at Texas anytime soon.

DeefromAtlanta

Just out of curiosity

Postby DeefromAtlanta » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:52 am

Why all the clamoring for Herb Hand? Has Herb Hand ever called plays? The title co-offensive coordinator at Texas was merely a way to work around hiring him from another staff.

I don't see anywhere he's an experienced play caller. He doesn't call plays at Texas. He didn't at Auburn. He didn't at Vanderbilt, and as co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa with Gus Malzahn, he sure didn't have those duties.

Besides endearing himself by publicly wanting the Vanderbilt head coach job when Franklin left, why do people want him as our offensive coordinator?

alathIN

Re: Just out of curiosity

Postby alathIN » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 am

DeefromAtlanta wrote:Why all the clamoring for Herb Hand? Has Herb Hand ever called plays? The title co-offensive coordinator at Texas was merely a way to work around hiring him from another staff.

I don't see anywhere he's an experienced play caller. He doesn't call plays at Texas. He didn't at Auburn. He didn't at Vanderbilt, and as co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa with Gus Malzahn, he sure didn't have those duties.

Besides endearing himself by publicly wanting the Vanderbilt head coach job when Franklin left, why do people want him as our offensive coordinator?

I have no idea what kind of play caller he would be, but he gives a blistering halftime speech. If you have never seen any of the locker room videos from that era go back and watch some. You will wind up wanting to smash down brick walls with your head.

Anchor D

Postby Anchor D » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 am

Is Sanford in the running?I know he was just hired as an OC but Vandy.lol would definitely be a step up and he definitely has a history with Mason.

Nashmann

Re: Just out of curiosity

Postby Nashmann » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:33 pm

DeefromAtlanta wrote:Why all the clamoring for Herb Hand? Has Herb Hand ever called plays? The title co-offensive coordinator at Texas was merely a way to work around hiring him from another staff.

Agree...my thoughts exactly.

VandyD

Postby VandyD » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 pm

I think most experienced successful play callers are not coming to Vandy. They would be swooped up already. So your left with going for an experienced play caller who has been on a down turn or someone upcoming/ has not had a chance to call plays. I wouldn't mind Hand with all the over turn we will have on the oline this year. Think he can help greatly there. Not sure how good his play calling is but not a lot of choices out their for proven play callers against good competition.

Pinheiros

Postby Pinheiros » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Hand was a co-OC at Tulsa with Gus and afterwards with someone else, I believe. I don't think he was the play-caller either time.

BILTMORE

Postby BILTMORE » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Pinheiros wrote:Hand was a co-OC at Tulsa with Gus and afterwards with someone else, I believe. I don't think he was the play-caller either time.

West Virginia maybe?

And no, I don't think he's ever been a play-caller.
I like Herb. I've met him a few times and he's a great, personable guy.
But I'm not stuck on him because he had a nice title a couple of times.

Ludwig was a good get when we got him. An experienced play-caller with nice bonafides.
And for a team who's best qb was a slow drop-back passer with a big brain and strong arm - he did a good job.
I think we can get a guy who's done the job for which he's being hired in the style that fits are current personnel.

Sanford would be a great pick - not sure he's willing to bail on the team that just hired him after his firing.

Pinheiros

Postby Pinheiros » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 pm

I think we hired Herb from Tulsa after he had consulted with CBJ's staff when they wanted to install the spread offense. So, I think was was Co-OC with Gus and with another coach--at Tulsa. It may have been another one of those Texas high school coaches. Those guys have had some success moving to college ball.

I think Hand was at West Virginia with Butch before Tulsa and Vandy.

Return to “Vanderbilt Football”