Stack named Ben Jobe Coach of the Year

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Stack named Ben Jobe Coach of the Year

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The award is presented annually to the top Division 1 minority coach in college basketball. Ezra Manjon broke the news to Stackhouse:

[tweet][/tweet]

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Stack named Ben Jobe Coach of the Year

Post by Foreverhopeful »

This is awesome!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Well deserved.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Very nice. Glad we got to see it.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

Two points about Ben Jobe:

1) I knew the man when he was the coach at Alabama A&M in the early 1980s and I freelanced for the Huntsville News. I covered about half a dozen A&M games, and interviewed after the games. It was an odd thing, being a 17 year old white reporter in that gym, but Ben Jobe made sure I was treated well.

2) Ben Jobe went to Pearl High School and then Fisk. I hope someone tells Stack that what makes this especially cool is that the award is finally coming back to Ben Jobe's native home.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

historybill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:35 pm Two points about Ben Jobe:

1) I knew the man when he was the coach at Alabama A&M in the early 1980s and I freelanced for the Huntsville News. I covered about half a dozen A&M games, and interviewed after the games. It was an odd thing, being a 17 year old white reporter in that gym, but Ben Jobe made sure I was treated well.

2) Ben Jobe went to Pearl High School and then Fisk. I hope someone tells Stack that what makes this especially cool is that the award is finally coming back to Ben Jobe's native home.
I'll DM him the info.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I think these awards and nominations mean a lot to Stack. He got so much shit during our, um, difficult early season times and we know he pays attention to social media..... This is all affirmation that he was on the right track, even if we didn't know it at the time.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Embarrassed to admit it, but here it is:

I read the subject from the main forum and though "Why do I care who Stack voted for in the Coach of the Year ballot?"

I get it now. Just takes me a litle while to get up to speed sometimes.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

historybill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:35 pm Two points about Ben Jobe:

Bill write him an old-time letter telling him. He would love to hear it from you. Great footnote to the history.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

mathguy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:35 pm Embarrassed to admit it, but here it is:

I read the subject from the main forum and though "Why do I care who Stack voted for in the Coach of the Year ballot?"

I get it now. Just takes me a litle while to get up to speed sometimes.
Hate to tell you. It gets worse.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

He clearly has the patience of Jobe…

I’m glad Stack is getting the recognition he is due after a few tough years. I know lots of people wanted him fired but he has done a good job. Hopefully he can get some good transfers to keep improving things, but it may be tough to top the ending of this season.
vandyhank
Lieutenant

Post by vandyhank »

I am not in favor of using the identity one is born with for segregating awards.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

vandyhank wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:49 pm I am not in favor of using the identity one is born with for segregating awards.
Historically speaking, those awards were already de facto segregated. I don’t see any problem with it whatsoever. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:42 pm
vandyhank wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:49 pm I am not in favor of using the identity one is born with for segregating awards.
Historically speaking, those awards were already de facto segregated. I don’t see any problem with it whatsoever. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Historically speaking, major league baseball was segregated by race. Fortunately, since 1947 and the days of Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby that has not been the case. MLB has adapted, and as far as I know (I could be wrong) there are no MVP, CY Young, Manager of the Year or similar MLB awards that are dispensed by race.

I do not understand the point in 2023 of there being a coaching honor in college basketball that is based on race. However, as long as there is such an award, I am happy that our man won it. Coach Stackhouse is a great coach, and Vanderbilt is fortunate to have him.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:22 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:42 pm
Historically speaking, major league baseball was segregated by race. Fortunately, since 1947 and the days of Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby that has not been the case. MLB has adapted, and as far as I know (I could be wrong) there are no MVP, CY Young, Manager of the Year or similar MLB awards that are dispensed by race.

I do not understand the point in 2023 of there being a coaching honor in college basketball that is based on race. However, as long as there is such an award, I am happy that our man won it. Coach Stackhouse is a great coach, and Vanderbilt is fortunate to have him.
And only 35 have ever been MLB managers. The point is that the disparity is rooted in years of segregation that still bear out in society today (including in the world of college coaching). Not trying to get overly political since the coffee shop is officially closed and all, merely saying there is a valid reason the award exists.

https://globalsportmatters.com/culture/ ... diversity/
Locked Previous topicNext topic