World of the transfer!!!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandysmith
Lieutenant

World of the transfer!!!

Post by Vandysmith »

If you are lucky to get enough of good transfers, you can get to the final four. Why recruit high school senior and watch them leave because of what reason that may be available to them. This Is to this fan taking the fun out of it. You watch coaches recruit and pull in a good class and watch it disappear. They may like it and some feel like pulling their hair out. But it is what it is and nothing the fan can do about it.

commadore
Admiral

Re: World of the transfer!!!

Post by commadore »

I personally feel like Charlie Brown. Just as I was about to say the heck with college basketball, our team found themselves and made for an exciting season. Then Lucy appeared and just as the season ends, we lose half the team to the portal or trying to go pro. I am just about ready to say the hell with them all.

The NCAA has made college sports nearly unwatchable. Why form a personal bond with a team that will be composed of 75% new folks the next year.
Souldore
Rear Admiral

Post by Souldore »

That’s how I feel. Like this was a team and felt like a team and then poof they all leave? I’m disappointed. Didn’t Tyrin learn from Pippin? Maybe I’m naive but it seems clear to me that Scotty left too early. Leaving too early is just leaving too early and it’s a bad look. For everyone. I’m disappointed in this but of course hoping for the best.
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

I'm afraid I'm finding little that will keep me watching college hoops. Decisions to "commit" to a school are descending into "who'll NIL me the most in the next 12 months, then in 12 months I'll shop my services around again if I don't get what I want." I, I, I, nothing about team, coach, fan base, university, education, development, or tradition. Sure, players have a right to do whatever they want given the removal of any guardrails, but as fans we certainly have the right to not care much anymore either.

Tough to bond with or follow a team when all the pieces continuously change. The only consistent thing will be the uniforms which will be filled in 4-month stints by rotating bodies that won or lost the annual NIL bidding war, depending on school, market size, and money thrown at those bodies. College sport ruined.
Last edited by Troubadore on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

This is running college sports into the ground. Wondering who your next team will be and hoping for the best.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Souldore wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:52 pm That’s how I feel. Like this was a team and felt like a team and then poof they all leave? I’m disappointed. Didn’t Tyrin learn from Pippin? Maybe I’m naive but it seems clear to me that Scotty left too early. Leaving too early is just leaving too early and it’s a bad look. For everyone. I’m disappointed in this but of course hoping for the best.
Scotty signed a contract with the Lakers before their season started. He is making half a million dollars this season and the option to make 1.7 million next season. That’s pretty good for being less than a year out of college. Roughly 2.2 million dollars is not a bad look. What do most college students start out making right after college? Tyrin is maintaining his collegiate eligibility while talking to NBA teams. Very good opportunity for him. Did no one reach out to future employers while they were in college?
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I hope they mandate “No more exceptions” on the sit out one year rule if a player has gotten one free transfer previously. (It’s already allowed to transfer if the student athlete graduated from the previous school, so that’s really two free transfers.)

The student has transferred from School A already. I’m not saying that we must force the student to stay at School B … just that he can’t play at School C for a year if he transfers again. It should be enough that his room, board, other expenses are covered.

And School C might not recruit him so hard knowing that — as before — it will tie up a scholly for the extra year.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I think Tyrin is probably doing the right thing. Pippen did, too, and it did benefit him to come back for his junior year at Vandy. I have much more of an issue with some of the other transfer portal decisions.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

They have ruled a player can only transfer once.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

If he has graduated, he can transfer whether he transferred as an undergrad or not. If it’s going to be open season for all the undergrads, I don’t have a problem with grad transfers. As a grad, he is most likely looking for continuing education. It’s certainly unlikely it will assist in landing a pro contract. There will be exceptions, but I’m all for a student obtaining a free grad degree, since they’ve been exploited by colleges in prior years.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I tweeted this yesterday and I think it applies in this thread, too.

In the movie Moneyball, the character Peter Brand (played by Jonah Hill) tells one of the Oakland A's that every at bat is like a hand of blackjack. Every card that's dealt, your odds completely change. Every at bat is a new and different opportunity.

That's where we are with college basketball. Every season is now its own hand of blackjack. The players change with every season. You can only judge based on what players you have for that season, not the one that you had last year or the one you think you'll have next season.

I'll wait and see who's on campus in August. Until then, it's a crapshoot.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Unfortunately, Stack will most likely be hamstrung by our admittance committee….they don’t like undergrads transferring in unless they are considered superior to most of their peers. The odds are stacked against us in the new world of college athletics. We, most likely, will have to rely on freshmen who will get enough minutes that they see a future in hanging around or on the new one-and-done phenomenon know as grad transfers!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:50 pm I tweeted this yesterday and I think it applies in this thread, too.

In the movie Moneyball, the character Peter Brand (played by Jonah Hill) tells one of the Oakland A's that every at bat is like a hand of blackjack. Every card that's dealt, your odds completely change. Every at bat is a new and different opportunity.

That's where we are with college basketball. Every season is now its own hand of blackjack. The players change with every season. You can only judge based on what players you have for that season, not the one that you had last year or the one you think you'll have next season.

I'll wait and see who's on campus in August. Until then, it's a crapshoot.
Looks like we will be drawing 16 forever then.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Vandysmith wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:07 pm If you are lucky to get enough of good transfers, you can get to the final four. Why recruit high school senior and watch them leave because of what reason that may be available to them. This Is to this fan taking the fun out of it. You watch coaches recruit and pull in a good class and watch it disappear. They may like it and some feel like pulling their hair out. But it is what it is and nothing the fan can do about it.
There is a lot we can do about it....not show up and stay at home!
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Vandysmith wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:07 pm If you are lucky to get enough of good transfers, you can get to the final four. Why recruit high school senior and watch them leave because of what reason that may be available to them. This Is to this fan taking the fun out of it. You watch coaches recruit and pull in a good class and watch it disappear. They may like it and some feel like pulling their hair out. But it is what it is and nothing the fan can do about it.
There is a lot we can do about it....not show up and stay at home!
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I love watching Vanderbilt basketball, even though a lot of the time it is painful. I will support whoever is on the floor playing. I had to adjust my own mentality (still working on that) to accept that I was unlikely to see most of our players for 4 years, but I will support them whether they are here for 1 year of 4. I'm not going to stay home.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Jerry Seinfeld had it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-L7w1K5Zo
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:49 am Jerry Seinfeld had it right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-L7w1K5Zo