Tyrin Lawrence to test the NBA Draft

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Tyrin Lawrence to test the NBA Draft

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Will take advantage of the opportunity to return if he chooses.

Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Re: Tyrin Lawrence to test the NBA Draft

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I hate this. I hope we get him back. I think we will.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

Wish Tyrin luck and only the best, but it seems to me he'd benefit with one more year under Stack. Personally, want him back too. Continuity. We'll be better if he returns.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Pippen jr did the same thing after his sophomore year. I would be shocked if he didn’t return.
ymtn64
Chief

Post by ymtn64 »

The natural talent is actually there I believe. Not sure he is ready, but his size, shooting, defense, and ability to handle the ball all make him a player that could earn a nice living playing professionally. Now is he ready for the NBA? Now? If I knew this answer, I would be getting paid some big $ on the side to do such a job, and that is never going to happen
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I only wish the very best for Tyrin in his life. But, somewhat selfishly I admit, I hope he comes back to VU for what could be a big All-SEC season and builds his draft status. Either way, thanks Tyrin.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I trust Stack, and I know Tyrin does, too, so he is getting good advice. The advice clearly was to test the waters. I think another year would benefit him, but what do I know?
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Not sure what some of our guys are thinking and hearing from others. Ty was benched vs AL for poor play while folks on this board couldn't believe he was still starting. A strong late season performance does not suddenly make someone NBA ready. He needs to come back and play at a consistently high level for an entire season.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

I wonder if this is just a PR stunt. Like, best way to make scouts look at you, declare for the draft!
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

They did this with Scottie. It gets his name out there, gets some workouts with teams regarding feedback, etc. Stack made Scottie come back when he said he wasn't ready. I'm sure he's giving the same feedback to Lawrence.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I do not blame him. I also also hope he returns. But i hope he makes it at some point.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

bernstml19 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:41 pm I wonder if this is just a PR stunt. Like, best way to make scouts look at you, declare for the draft!
It’s definitely not a pr stunt. Scouts know every up and coming player in the world. Scouts definitely find you. It’s a win/win for Tyrin. He gets advice and feedback and gets to return for another season if he chooses.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I’m not a good judge of NBA talent. I did not think Kenyon Martin Jr would make the league. And I don’t think Saben Lee shoots well enough from outside for the NBA, but Tyrin’s game is similar.

May need another year with Manjon and, perhaps, Damian Dunn as teammates in the Vanderbilt backcourt.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Good for him.

Good player. Very valuable to our team.

Kinda think the NBA will politely convince him to go back to Vandy next year..
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I think he returns to work on ball handling and shooting. NBA threes are from way downtown.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:23 pm I think he returns to work on ball handling and shooting. NBA threes are from way downtown.
I was wrong about Saben Lee leaving. He has been on an NBA roster since he left. I think what NBA teams like about Lee is his elite athleticism. It doesn’t look like Tyrin is quite as athletic just based on the eye test. Don’t get me wrong, Tyrin is a very good athlete and skilled player. For now, we have hope Tyrin can come back. I know for a long time the first round of the NBA draft was a guaranteed contract. And the second round wasn’t guaranteed. It would be a gamble on his part but could pay off. Pippen Jr skipped his senior season and wasn’t drafted but was signed immediately after the draft and eventually got a contract with the Lakers. Selfishly I want Tyrin back because I think he will be an all sec type performer and he’s easy to cheer for.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:22 pm I’m not a good judge of NBA talent. I did not think Kenyon Martin Jr would make the league. And I don’t think Saben Lee shoots well enough from outside for the NBA, but Tyrin’s game is similar.

May need another year with Manjon and, perhaps, Damian Dunn as teammates in the Vanderbilt backcourt.
Dunn is from Stack's hometown...averaged 15ppg last season, I think.

If it's the guy I'm thinking about, improved his 3-ball shooting from 0% to 35% over the years.

An uninjured Dunn could replace Wright with a bad back. 81% FT shooter too iirc.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:30 pm
Dunn is from Stack's hometown...averaged 15ppg last season, I think.

If it's the guy I'm thinking about, improved his 3-ball shooting from 0% to 35% over the years.

An uninjured Dunn could replace Wright with a bad back. 81% FT shooter too iirc.
Maybe just wishful thinking. I remember listening to Dunn score 38 points against Vanderbilt, including 7 of 9 from downtown Philly.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

He was absolutely incredible against us and I meant to try and keep up with him. He looked like a 1st team All American in that game and I thought he was going to beat us single-handedly!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:47 pm He was absolutely incredible against us and I meant to try and keep up with him. He looked like a 1st team All American in that game and I thought he was going to beat us single-handedly!
I think he had 34 against either Pitt or Cincinnati in another game.
Locked Previous topicNext topic