He grab the net !!!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Vandysmith
Lieutenant

He grab the net !!!

Post by Vandysmith »

That the reason the basket counted. Someone needs to tell the Tennessean that.

Obvious
Captain

Re: He grab the net !!!

Post by Obvious »

Can’t touch the net. I learned that watching basketball when I was a little kid. What did the Tennessean say about it ? Lol
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

They thought Vandy may got a break. They didn't known there a rule against it. The ref made the wrong call t.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

They said Vandy thought they got a break.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Another report said it was “a questionable goaltending call.”

Juwan Howard was the one with the question. We knew the call was correct.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

The UTennessean has always been biased against VU. My father, some 40 years ago, always said the Banner was a Vanderbilt paper and the UTennessean was a ewetee paper.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

QMB had the offensive rebound. Moot point?
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

The VU beat writer graduated from U. of Michigan...
GoheenFan88
Vice Admiral

Post by GoheenFan88 »

That paper has always been crap in regards to VU. I remember being a kid and only wanting to clip the box scores and pictures of the games from it because the write ups were never good.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Funny how things like this take on a life of their own. I was driving through Birmingham yesterday and listening to local sports talk radio, and they were interviewing a local sports writer for a digital news site in advance of tonight's game. He said that Vandy had benefited from "some Memorial home cooking" at the end of the contest (he clearly had not actually watched the game).
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:54 am Funny how things like this take on a life of their own. I was driving through Birmingham yesterday and listening to local sports talk radio, and they were interviewing a local sports writer for a digital news site in advance of tonight's game. He said that Vandy had benefited from "some Memorial home cooking" at the end of the contest (he clearly had not actually watched the game).
As yes, now we not only have magic, we have home cooking... Fine with me as long as people are again wishing they didn't have to play us in Memorial (or anywhere else for that matter) it has been a while.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

He is just like the " View " they mouth off not knowing the facts every time .
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

commadore wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:32 am My father, some 40 years ago, always said the Banner was a Vanderbilt paper and the UTennessean was a ewetee paper.
If that was true, it was largely a function of the Banner's owner serving on the VU Board of Trust for nearly 40 years. That was not always to the university's benefit. In fact, it has been argued by Vanderbilt historians and others that it was sometimes to the university's detriment, especially during the desegregation era.
https://cdn.vanderbilt.edu/vu-news/vand ... hunder.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_G._Stahlman
From the wiki entry above:
Stahlman served on the Board of Trust of his alma mater, Vanderbilt University, from 1930 to 1976.[1] In 1960, he used the newspaper to publish misleading stories about Civil Rights leader James Lawson, which suggested Lawson had incited others to "violate the law" and led to his expulsion from the Vanderbilt University Divinity School.[7] The school was placed on probation for a year by the American Association of Theological Schools, and the power of trustees was curtailed.[7]
Stahlman was "strongly anti-integration".[8] However, within a few years, "Stahlman was downplaying his racist rhetoric, boasting of hiring of a black reporter, and donating $250 to the families of black girls killed in a church bombing in Birmingham."[9]
In 1967, Stahlman tried to keep Stokely Carmichael from speaking on the Vanderbilt campus; after Carmichael's speech on April 8, a racially charged riot broke out in North Nashville.[9] Stahlman blamed Chancellor G. Alexander Heard for letting students invite Carmichael on campus.[10]

To its credit, Vanderbilt invited Rev. Lawson back to serve as a professor in the Divinity School about 20 years or so ago.

If you're just talking about sports, it was largely a function of Fred Russell's love for his alma mater. I always liked Jimmy Davy's and John Bibb's coverage of VU sports because, being in the morning paper, it was always more timely.

HistoryBill may want to weigh in.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

FayetteDore wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:05 pm
If you're just talking about sports, it was largely a function of Fred Russell's love for his alma mater. I always liked Jimmy Davy's and John Bibb's coverage of VU sports because, being in the morning paper, it was always more timely.
And Davy and Bibb were also VU alumni.
Locked Previous topicNext topic