OT - NYT: A Fourth Alabama Player Was at a Deadly Shooting, in a Car Hit by Bullets

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

OT - NYT: A Fourth Alabama Player Was at a Deadly Shooting, in a Car Hit by Bullets

Post by FayetteDore »

From the NY Times:
The presence of a fourth Crimson Tide player at the deadly shooting in January has come to light as the team begins its run as the top overall seed in the N.C.A.A. men’s tournament.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/15/spor ... oting.html

Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Obvious
Captain

Re: OT - NYT: A Fourth Alabama Player Was at a Deadly Shooting, in a Car Hit by Bullets

Post by Obvious »

Someone please beat Alabama. And more importantly, look at the case objectively.
Obvious
Captain

Re: OT - NYT: A Fourth Alabama Player Was at a Deadly Shooting, in a Car Hit by Bullets

Post by Obvious »

Bruce Pearl was walked to the door for getting caught having a recruit at his house for a barbecue. Nate Oats had nearly a whole lineup at a murder scene, so far. More details will continue to come out. Truly insane.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

It’s very plausible that Miller had no idea there was a gun left in his car and didn’t read the text from his teammate, as he was driving. If this is indeed factual, how would you feel if this was your son? It’s shameful that everyone is in such a hurry to label him as just another thug without knowing the facts! Everything about him tells me he is not deserving of these accusations. To think he was knowingly involved in this tragedy doesn’t make any sense and I believe most of us could have found ourselves in a similar situations as a young adult. It’s time to stop passing judgement on him and act like we are objective people without taking advantage of the young man’s situation regardless of how you feel about Bama!
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Ndorefin, I understand your point and generally agree with your sentiment. But in this case, everything I have seen on AL.com, which is anything but a muckraker when it comes to UA athletics, is that he was asked to go get the gun, he got it and brought to his teammate, who was annoyed that a young lady wouldn't talk with him, and the young lady is dead. I don't do criminal law but the folks I work with include a former U. S. attorney and 3 criminal defense lawyers. All say he is an accessory before the fact and none understand how he has avoided prosecution. Except for his position on the basketball team.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:18 pm It’s very plausible that Miller had no idea there was a gun left in his car and didn’t read the text from his teammate, as he was driving. If this is indeed factual, how would you feel if this was your son? It’s shameful that everyone is in such a hurry to label him as just another thug without knowing the facts! Everything about him tells me he is not deserving of these accusations. To think he was knowingly involved in this tragedy doesn’t make any sense and I believe most of us could have found ourselves in a similar situations as a young adult. It’s time to stop passing judgement on him and act like we are objective people without taking advantage of the young man’s situation regardless of how you feel about Bama!
Found ourselves in a similar situations?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Seadog73 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:25 pm Ndorefin, I understand your point and generally agree with your sentiment. But in this case, everything I have seen on AL.com, which is anything but a muckraker when it comes to UA athletics, is that he was asked to go get the gun, he got it and brought to his teammate, who was annoyed that a young lady wouldn't talk with him, and the young lady is dead. I don't do criminal law but the folks I work with include a former U. S. attorney and 3 criminal defense lawyers. All say he is an accessory before the fact and none understand how he has avoided prosecution. Except for his position on the basketball team.
Your facts are incorrect. They guy had the gun, laid it in the back seat and covered it with his coat. Miller says he didn't know it was there. When Miles texted him saying "bring me my gun," Miller was already on the way. There is no evidence he read the text before getting there. Miles came to the car, opened the back door, got the gun, and pretty much started firing. Miller fled soon as the shooting started. These are the facts that have been in the press, as stated by witnesses, and as stated be the Tuscaloosa DA. At first I thought the same as you, but the more I read from credible sources, the more I think he is innocent of anything but bad judgement (as my mom always said, nothing good can happen after midnight).I

PS, articles from AL.com should often be looked at with a grain of salt. Some are good, some are nothing but Paul Finebaum-esk gibberish.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I believe I read in one of the AL.com articles that Miles asked Miller if the gun was loaded (or slang to that effect).

If that is true, no more “ignorance” excuses.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:18 pm It’s very plausible that Miller had no idea there was a gun left in his car and didn’t read the text from his teammate, as he was driving. If this is indeed factual, how would you feel if this was your son? It’s shameful that everyone is in such a hurry to label him as just another thug without knowing the facts! Everything about him tells me he is not deserving of these accusations. To think he was knowingly involved in this tragedy doesn’t make any sense and I believe most of us could have found ourselves in a similar situations as a young adult. It’s time to stop passing judgement on him and act like we are objective people without taking advantage of the young man’s situation regardless of how you feel about Bama!
This happened very early in the morning around 2am in the basketball season. Do they no longer have curfew for athletic teams in season? And as parents don't children get taught to use judgement and avoid trouble.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:43 am I believe I read in one of the AL.com articles that Miles asked Miller if the gun was loaded (or slang to that effect).

If that is true, no more “ignorance” excuses.
I remember reading the quote that Miles asked someone if the gun was loaded, and was told it was. But not sure it was Miller on the other side of this conversation.

I think it's clear there is a culture problem in the Bama bball program. Or perhaps they reflect some of the worst aspects of US culture. But it's not clear to me who committed crimes other than Miles.

It makes my head spin when I hear people talk about "gun culture." I grew up on a farm. We had guns for hunting, guns for kids to learn marksmanship and gun safety, and target guns (my dad was very competitive in target shooting). All my friends' families had guns, usually in glass cases that would have been easy to break into if they were even locked in the first place. But the idea that you'd grab a gun in response to a an argument with a girlfriend would have seemed totally insane. The world I grew up in seems like an alien planet now.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

In the old days coaches would discipline players for exercising poor judgment. Guess those days are over

Heck lance goulbirne got 4 games for a parking pass. Guess he’d have gotten the needle for doing what Brandon miller did.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

utahozzie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:42 am In the old days coaches would discipline players for exercising poor judgment. Guess those days are over

Heck lance goulbirne got 4 games for a parking pass. Guess he’d have gotten the needle for doing what Brandon miller did.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I thought Lance G got one game, a blowout win at MTSU.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:43 pm
Meaning being innocent when finding yourself in a compromising situation….not necessarily a gunfight, geez! Surely you don’t think I meant driving around with friends who were carrying guns! I’ll attempt to be more specific in my future postings for those with more challenging comprehension skills!
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

:idea:
Ndorefin wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:38 am
Obvious wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:43 pm
Meaning being innocent when finding yourself in a compromising situation….not necessarily a gunfight, geez! Surely you don’t think I meant driving around with friends who were carrying guns! I’ll attempt to be more specific in my future postings for those with more challenging comprehension skills!
My posts are questioning the program that Nate Oats is running. It’s a little much to be critical of my comprehension abilities. My comprehension of basketball is pretty good. And I made mistakes when I was younger. Luckily I was never near a murder scene. I suppose I am lucky I never accidentally supplied a weapon used for murder.
I have friends with carrying permits and I’m aware of that when I’m with them.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

commadore wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:02 am
utahozzie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:42 am In the old days coaches would discipline players for exercising poor judgment. Guess those days are over

Not worried about casting stones, it's firing rounds that concern me. Look, this is serious stuff and platitudes only serve to sweep it under a rug. I did some pretty supid things as a kid/ young man, but transporting a gun? Come on !
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Festus missed a few games for letting a friend who had graduated (so an alum) pay for a hotel room for him.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:31 am Festus missed a few games for letting a friend who had graduated (so an alum) pay for a hotel room for him.
Didn’t the same thing happen to wade baldwin?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

OldDude wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:08 am
commadore wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:02 am

Not worried about casting stones, it's firing rounds that concern me. Look, this is serious stuff and platitudes only serve to sweep it under a rug. I did some pretty supid things as a kid/ young man, but transporting a gun? Come on !
Police reports indicate he didn't know there was a gun in the back seat, covered by a coat. Also, no evidence to say he read the email until after he got there. I am not saying the kid exercised good judgement, he didn't. But I am saying other than bad judgement, there is absolutely no evidence that he did anything wrong.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

I agree that, from what I've read and seen, Miller did nothing illegal.
However, the handling of the entire situation by the coaching staff and admin has left me with a bad taste with respect to the culture of Bama basketball.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
Locked Previous topicNext topic