Stute into the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Re: Stute into the portal

Post by Versus75 »

He has one year of eligibility left.

The free Covid year applied to those who played 2019-2020.

Stute was a freshman 2020-2021.

dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Very nice words from Stack re Stute in the post Yale game presser. Worth a listen.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

I don’t understand some of the negative remarks towards Stute. I read the Tweet; he was gracious to the University, teammates, and fans. Kid was a fierce competitor who played his butt off every time he took the court and went to battle for his teammates. His defense against Tschiebwe in the SECT was a big component in that win. Some people have criticized a perceived disinterest or negative body language. Perhaps what you witnessed was his frustration with his own offensive play as he finished the year in a bit of a slump. However, I saw a kid who was always supportive of his teammates’ successes and who personified the toughness Stack is instilling in the players and program. I’ll honestly never understand why a VU fan would criticize a Vanderbilt student athlete who is putting forth effort to represent the University. For all we know, the timing of this really is to maximize his opportunities for a successful landing spot and to sacrifice time on court to younger players who will continue on with the program. I’d encourage everyone to show respect for our student athletes who are just kids trying to do the best they can for themselves and others.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

VU1970 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:41 pm Whatever his reasons, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him well.
My sentiments exactly. I think he always gave his best effort. I think his offensive shooting woes was really affecting his entire game, and he became a liability down the stretch. I kept pulling for him to break out of his slump, but it never happened.

I hope Vanderbilt can use the NIT experience as a springboard for next season (like Xavier this year), and if Stute is not going to be part of that, I am glad he has freed up his 20 minutes/game for someone that will be.
Vandysmith
Lieutenant

Post by Vandysmith »

Who ever pass this rule about the transfer portal probably pass the one about the net to see who goes to the big tournament
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:36 am I don’t understand some of the negative remarks towards Stute. I read the Tweet; he was gracious to the University, teammates, and fans. Kid was a fierce competitor who played his butt off every time he took the court and went to battle for his teammates. His defense against Tschiebwe in the SECT was a big component in that win. Some people have criticized a perceived disinterest or negative body language. Perhaps what you witnessed was his frustration with his own offensive play as he finished the year in a bit of a slump. However, I saw a kid who was always supportive of his teammates’ successes and who personified the toughness Stack is instilling in the players and program. I’ll honestly never understand why a VU fan would criticize a Vanderbilt student athlete who is putting forth effort to represent the University. For all we know, the timing of this really is to maximize his opportunities for a successful landing spot and to sacrifice time on court to younger players who will continue on with the program. I’d encourage everyone to show respect for our student athletes who are just kids trying to do the best they can for themselves and others.
I agree 100%.

These young men aren't public officials, or politicians, or school principals.

They don't owe fans anything.

I happened to start and finish at the same college. But if I had decided to transfer, that wouldn't have been anyone's business except me and my parents.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I'm sure there's some legitimate reason for it, but why can't the portal not open until the day after the national championship game?
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:55 pm I'm sure there's some legitimate reason for it, but why can't the portal not open until the day after the national championship game?
You took the words right out of my mouth. The sensible thing to do!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

didn't they move the baseball draft back for similar reasons
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Already hearing from a lot of schools:
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:33 pm Already hearing from a lot of schools:

[tweet][/tweet]
It used to be unheard to transfer within the conference
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

That would really be a slap in the face if he stayed in the SEC.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:58 pm
Schools used to be able to block transfers. It wasn't out of any respect on the part of the players that this used to be unheard of.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:34 pm That would really be a slap in the face if he stayed in the SEC.
Honestly, I don't understand why. Arkansas ... NC State ... Georgetown ... to me they re all just "somewhere that's not Vandy".

Now if he transferred to UT that would be different, but if we're categorizing the entire SEC as "hated rival" I feel like we've lost track of what "rival" means...
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

mathguy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:18 pm
Schools used to be able to block transfers. It wasn't out of any respect on the part of the players that this used to be unheard of.
I remember stallings trying to block Jeters transfer and then ended up coaching him again at Pitt.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Pitt definitely made improper contact with Jeter. I was glad Stallings tried to block it.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Stute easy to defend. One dimensional .......
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

During today's win over Michigan one of the announcers said that Stute is leaving because he felt that Stack did not use him properly. I don't know what Stute expected, as he is a spot up shooter whose shots stopped falling. He does not drive well or handle the ball well. He does have other good qualities, but can be defended.

Today's announcer added some additional comments which I did not catch, as to why Stute entered the portal. Can anyone elaborate on what the announcer said?

However, the overall conclusion was that Stute was not happy with his role under Stack.
Last edited by LawoftheWest on Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:17 pm
mathguy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:18 pm
I remember stallings trying to block Jeters transfer and then ended up coaching him again at Pitt.
Coach him into an 0-18 season. Hope it was mutually invigorating.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... d-2-games/
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:34 pm That would really be a slap in the face if he stayed in the SEC.
Considering how terribly he shot the ball in the league this year, I admit to being surprised by the SEC schools' interest.

People leave a lot of the time because of something someone else tells them. Remember PG Keegan Bell? Dad thought CKS wasn't playing him the right way, so he moved on to that powerhouse Chattanooga. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Shane Dezonie is another good example of that.

Up until the last 10 games, Dylan Disu was another example. He seems to have thrived once Beard got sacked.
Locked Previous topicNext topic