Stute into the portal

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VU1970
Admiral

Re: Stute into the portal

Post by VU1970 »

Whatever his reasons, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and wish him well.

dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:26 am I will miss him, but don't understand leaving now. He is letting his teammates down- we need the bodies. Something must have happened. He doesn't mention Stackhouse in his farewell message. I think he got frustrated and probably had a blowup. I loved his attitude and toughness. He's a good kid and I understand the frustration this year, but I don't understand skipping out before the NIT.
He needed to get a jump start to secure a spot on the Sun Belt team that he chooses?

I don't understand announcing the morning of a game, either. I suppose he has his reasons. I think it's probably best for both parties involved, to be honest.

I wish him the best, hope it works out for him. Thankful for his 3 years of contributions, wish it wasn't such a struggle for him this year, and hope a fresh start somewhere else irons things out for him.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

dallasdore wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:46 pm
Foreverhopeful wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:26 am I will miss him, but don't understand leaving now. He is letting his teammates down- we need the bodies. Something must have happened. He doesn't mention Stackhouse in his farewell message. I think he got frustrated and probably had a blowup. I loved his attitude and toughness. He's a good kid and I understand the frustration this year, but I don't understand skipping out before the NIT.
He needed to get a jump start to secure a spot on the Sun Belt team that he chooses?

I don't understand announcing the morning of a game, either. I suppose he has his reasons. I think it's probably best for both parties involved, to be honest.

I wish him the best, hope it works out for him. Thankful for his 3 years of contributions, wish it wasn't such a struggle for him this year, and hope a fresh start somewhere else irons things out for him.
Ditto
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

utahozzie wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:02 am I’m sure this will sound harsh but I’ve never been more excited about a player transfer.

Wish him well. We can do better
Agreed!
Dickeys Nightmare
Rear Admiral

Post by Dickeys Nightmare »

No message.
Last edited by Dickeys Nightmare on Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

OldDude wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Ditto
Does not finishing a season with one team reflect poorly when trying to get offered to another team? Would this not be like walking out on a job without a standard two weeks notice? Something tells me the staff didn’t know about his desire to transfer a couple weeks ago. I find it hard for him to receive playing time had they known he was going to bail.
Versus75
Admiral

Do you know who led the team in 3-point percentage?

Post by Versus75 »

Liam Robbins among players with 16+ minutes per game.
Colin Smith among players with 50+ 3-point attempts.

Smith ..... 39.2%
Robbins ... 36.5%
Stute ..... 36.1%
Lawrence .. 35.2%
Wright .... 33.3%
Thomas .... 31.1%

from espn.com: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... t/dir/desc

In SEC regular season and tournament games, Myles Stute shot 3-pointers at a 28.3% clip. That included 2 of 17 in the SECT. He was at 47.1% through non-conference games, then the wheels fell off.

However, Stute continued to rebound well and play hard for the 'Dores.

Good luck at your next stop, Myles.
dorelover82
Ensign

Post by dorelover82 »

Portal is a real curse for players. The facts show that with exception of those top level players it is a negative move for most players. His ability to highlight his talents is strange to hear. He kept getting opportunity despite really poor shooting and shot selection.

Hope he earns degree, and finds a great home.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Hard to knock stute. Was always pumped up when he went in as he could blow open a game. Played hard and guarded tasheebdoosh. Hope he gets to a new place and absolutely crushes it and becomes the D and 3 guy he aspires to be at the next level (even if that’s Europe or the G league)
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

Not many ways to view this that put him in a good light. Since he's transferring we have to assume he's healthy and able-bodied and this is not over family or health issues. If so, you'd think he'd stay and help the team in whatever capacity possible through the tourney, then announce after the season. But no. On the surface it appears to be an in-CJS-face sulk move. He's became increasingly one-dimensional and shoots 3s at 36% - on par with several guys who'll step in and take his minutes. Time to give someone else a chance. I'm all for him and team being great, but in the last month I didn't like seeing him on the court - his head or his game had checked out. The way he's been shooting lately the team may get a boost in the tourney, especially if he takes any negative vibe out the door with him. Hope I'm wrong and he's the most awesome teammate and person ever, but when something looks, quacks, and swims like a duck it likely is one...
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:58 am Since a record 173 guys entered the portal in one day alone...an all time record...maybe his timing was motivated by a beat the rush strategy because the flood of names will continue for a while. There are lots of schools that won't have a Colin Smith level forward ready to take his minutes.
I would say this is most likely.

It's just the way the game is played these days. He didn't quit on our team any more than the myriad football players who skip mid-tier bowl games to reduce the risk of injury prior to the NFL draft (something which I personally hate, but is pretty commonplace these days)

The NIT a fun extension of the season ... but putting his name in earlier means he gets to talk to coaches sooner, before they fill their transfer slots with other guys.

Gotta do what you gotta do.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:53 pm

Ditto
Does not finishing a season with one team reflect poorly when trying to get offered to another team? Would this not be like walking out on a job without a standard two weeks notice? Something tells me the staff didn’t know about his desire to transfer a couple weeks ago. I find it hard for him to receive playing time had they known he was going to bail.
To be fair, there was what ... 47 hours between the end of the season and when this game starts? It's not like he really had a chance to do it much earlier...
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

mathguy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:47 pm

Ditto
To be fair, there was what ... 47 hours between the end of the season and when this game starts? It's not like he really had a chance to do it much earlier...
I don’t think the season ended.
Junnah
Commander

Post by Junnah »

So what’s the wisdom, if any, behind setting that date to open the portal? Why not the day after the NCAA tournament ends? (I just couldn’t put “NCAA” and “wisdom” in the same sentence)
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Math guy wrote:

“‘It's just the way the game is played these days. He didn't quit on our team any more than the myriad football players who skip mid-tier bowl games to reduce the risk of injury prior to the NFL draft”

I have to disagree with this thought. The football players give up their last game of eligibility to play in a bowl game that basically has no meaning, other than some hardware for competing. In this situation, Stute has 2 more years of playing eligibility and, I dare say, his teammates are approaching this tournament much differently than players in a bowl game!

It’s quite possible Stack interviewed each player as to their intentions for next year and Stute informed him he was leaving. If this is how it played out, I have no problem with it. I believe we have a better chance in the tourney without him, as his body language displayed his lack of interest when he wasn’t on the floor. I honestly think Ansong can fill his role without us skipping a beat and plays with with much more enthusiasm. Teammates pick up on who’s in and who’s not which has a huge effect on the culture and attitude of the whole team and creates an atmosphere of togetherness.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm

Pardon me. The regular season.

But surely if we made the NCAAs he would've stayed with the team through our tournament run.
Obvious
Captain

Post by Obvious »

mathguy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:53 pm
Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 pm

Pardon me. The regular season.

But surely if we made the NCAAs he would've stayed with the team through our tournament run.
That’s what I’m saying…
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Ndorefin wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:41 pm Math guy wrote:

“‘It's just the way the game is played these days. He didn't quit on our team any more than the myriad football players who skip mid-tier bowl games to reduce the risk of injury prior to the NFL draft”

I have to disagree with this thought. The football players give up their last game of eligibility to play in a bowl game that basically has no meaning, other than some hardware for competing. In this situation, Stute has 2 more years of playing eligibility and, I dare say, his teammates are approaching this tournament much differently than players in a bowl game!

It’s quite possible Stack interviewed each player as to their intentions for next year and Stute informed him he was leaving. If this is how it played out, I have no problem with it. I believe we have a better chance in the tourney without him, as his body language displayed his lack of interest when he wasn’t on the floor. I honestly think Ansong can fill his role without us skipping a beat and plays with with much more enthusiasm. Teammates pick up on who’s in and who’s not which has a huge effect on the culture and attitude of the whole team and creates an atmosphere of togetherness.
It is different in the sense that Stute does have more eligibility instead of just passing out of one game.

It is similar in the sense that you just argued a bowl game "basically has no meaning". While I will be happy to root for our guys through the NIT ... let's be honest, the NIT has about the smae meaning as mid-tier bowl game - its a bonus game(s) at the end of the season that cannot end in national championship.

Point being, by leaving a week or three early, Stute can possibly position himself better for a landing, and if Stack knew Stute was going to be leaving anyway, he might have encouraged Stute to leave prior to the NIT for a variety of reasons.

At the end of the day, I'm going to support Stute and wish him the best ... and not start spewing rumors and trashing him here.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Junnah wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:12 pm So what’s the wisdom, if any, behind setting that date to open the portal? Why not the day after the NCAA tournament ends? (I just couldn’t put “NCAA” and “wisdom” in the same sentence)
Question asked and answered.

And while we're at it, can we also forbid NCAA football teams from interviewing or hiring new coaches in the month of December? Coaches leaving teams before a bowl game is even more despicable than the players that quit.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Perhaps Stute and Stackhouse let Stute wager next year's scholarship on a hit or miss from 3. Well, we know how that's gone for the last month. Ok, cheap shot but do wish him well as he did some good things for this program.
Locked Previous topicNext topic