Shan Foster's take on the situation via Twitter

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Shan Foster's take on the situation via Twitter

Post by MrMemorial »

As far as JVBK not having an over .500 record at Cornell, is that an easy place to win basketball games?

They went to the big dance twice in the 100 years before he took over. Yes, twice in 100 years.

They had five single digit win seasons in the ten years after he left. They also had a 2-26 season since then.

So...is it easy to win there? Is it UCLA or Kentucky or Kansas in the hoops tradition department?

memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

alathIN wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:11 pm
commadore wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:44 am
alathIN wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:54 am I don't think racism is the primary driver here, but I don't have a hard time believing it's a factor for some people. Even when he was hired there were rumblings about "affirmative action hire."
I went to Vanderbilt in the 80s and saw a fair amount of overt racism from my peers. It was not the majority of the Vanderbilt community, but it was certainly an element. Do we really think that has been completely eradicated?

I think we was white people can have a blind spot about this. "I'm not racist, so racism isn't a thing any more."
A black doctor I work with can't go for a run in his own neighborhood without someone calling the police about "a black man running away." He's literally been stopped by police for running in his own neighborhood.

Personally I have years of respect for Shan Foster. If he thinks this is an element of the situation, I do not have grounds to say he's a hypersensitive drama queen who's making it all up. Since when, on this board, do we say "Shan Foster's opinion can be summarily dismissed."?
You must live up north.
Yep, us Yankees are admittedly the only people who think Shan Foster's understanding of Vanderbilt basketball culture is at least worthy of consideration.

Also to your point, I was forgetting that in the 80s Vanderbilt was located in Maine. But I'm pretty sure it had moved to Nasville when I lived there in the 90s.

Current location (and home town) is more like "middle." I'm an Indiana gun nut redneck farm boy deer killer, so not exactly liberal New England around here.

Or are you saying what happens to my colleague could not possibly happen in the South?

"A black doctor I work with can't go for a run in his own neighborhood without someone calling the police about 'a black man running away.'"

"Or are you saying what happens to my colleague could not possibly happen in the South?"

It has happened in the South. You know that, right? This one happened in Brunswick, GA:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52764898

Also I am from the South and I care what Shan thinks! I just am not online all that much or I would have said something earlier. It is not just people in the North who care about racism. I care too. There are many like me. Why we get the various uncaring attitudes about race and some other important matters in sports forums, I do not know.
volemtine
Chief

Post by volemtine »

Doreknox wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:53 am
volemtine wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:26 pm The scrutiny and criticism must be balanced. The football coach lost by 50+ 3x this season and I’m not sure he has faced such an outcry…
You are either a troll or new to this board. Lea's been raked over the coals quite a few times on here.
Simple people say simple things
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

volemtine wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:12 pm
Doreknox wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:53 am
volemtine wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:26 pm The scrutiny and criticism must be balanced. The football coach lost by 50+ 3x this season and I’m not sure he has faced such an outcry…
You are either a troll or new to this board. Lea's been raked over the coals quite a few times on here.
Simple people say simple things
Thanks for proving your own point.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

admin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:10 pm Here's my take, the worse you do at a job the more flak you are going to take, no matter what the color of your skin is. I think we have some folks that are holding back on criticism of Stackhouse because he is black. And then there are likely those that are more harsh on him because he is black. In general in life, you are going to run into those that judge your efforts way more harshly than others. These are the jerks. In the end, we should always think before we spout out attacks on others, regardless of their occupation.
For what it's worth, I've been very critical of Stackhouse. The last thread I started was called "I'm About Done" and it was nothing but criticism.
Stackhouse has not earned himself any goodwill by his media statements and social media behavior. Even with a fan favorite well-liked coach, this season would garner some fan outcry. A coach who has done very little to endear himself to fans, and has in fact done much in the opposite direction, is going to get a lot less leeway.
Nor am I accusing anyone here of racism.
I'm just saying, if Shan Foster says he's seen some of that in VU hoops culture, I do not just summarily dismiss him. Neither do I automatically believe him. But he's earned a degree of respect that, to me, compels serious consideration to anything he says about VU basketball.
And I have to acknowledge that he might have seen and heard things that I haven't.
Stackhouse can be doing a bad job, and Shan Foster might have seen some racism around our program. They are not mutually exclusive.
Locked Previous topicNext topic