Just going to go ahead and say it…

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Just going to go ahead and say it…

Post by MemorialMagic »

I truly don’t know if he can get it done. And ultimately, his results will tell the tale. And obviously I want us to win. And that has to happen.

But no matter what happens, I absolutely love Stack. I love that he dresses in a suit. I loved that fire tonight. And I love that instead of backing off of it and dancing around it in the post game, he doubled down basically calling the officials garbage. He is the best coaching interview out there. No coach speak. No beating around the bush. He just tells it like it is. And I love all of that.

I hope he is ultimately successful. Certainly still a lot to prove there.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Just going to go ahead and say it…

Post by charlestonalum »

What we saw last night was a penny ante official trying to put an All evrything pro player, Stack, in his place. The competitor that Stack is finally blew his stack. As he said after the game, "refs disrespected the game." Unfortunately, Stack also lost control of his intense temper. No winners in this, but it certainly is a far cry from a coach sitting in a chair clapping. By disrespecting the game, I think Stack meant that it should be players who determine the outcome of the game, not the officials.

I think we also see frustration with the overall performance in the program: Stack wants to win, expects to win and this team is not winning. I suspect he blames himself for this more than any other reason, and he is angry about it. My guess is he will be more deterimed than ever.

By the way, I think that was a SEC referee crew and it was Bart Lenox, from Kentucky, to whom Stack directed his ire. This is ominous unless we can get them disqualified from our games.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

That was about as poorly officiated game as I have ever seen…and I’ve seen some bad ones in 60+ years of watching VU MBB. I hated getting those technicals, but love Stack’s fire and his not backing down post game.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Well we all have our opinions, and I was not able to see the game.
I was able to see clips of the play in question.

The call was missed, the gesture was inconsequential. Our coach was right
to protest, within reason. However, the degree of disruption and the free FTs hurt our team's chances, and was a real embarrassment to the program.

I hope someone has the guts to confront our coach on this episode in private one-on-one
conversation. There should be a zero tolerance policy for this type of classless display.
In my opinion of course.

I felt the same way about Stallings comments to Wade Baldwin several years ago. Should have been canned on the spot.

Poor results plus unacceptable behavior should not be what VU sports is known for.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

jpmando wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:31 pm Well we all have our opinions, and I was not able to see the game.

to protest, within reason. However, the degree of disruption and the free FTs hurt our team's chances, and was a real embarrassment to the program.

I hope someone has the guts to confront our coach on this episode in private one-on-one
conversation. There should be a zero tolerance policy for this type of classless display.
In my opinion of course.

I felt the same way about Stallings comments to Wade Baldwin several years ago. Should have been canned on the spot.

Poor results plus unacceptable behavior should not be what VU sports is known for.
I do see your point. However, I don't want VU to be known for meekly taking the screw jobs that the SEC has dealt out to us for years. I have seen too many knuckle dragging refs that seem to have a pen!s envy problem with VU. I don't want it every game, but am glad to see Stack say enough is enough when he feels his guys are being shafted.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

jpmando wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:31 pm Well we all have our opinions, and I was not able to see the game.

In my opinion of course.

Opinions vary, but it is reasonable to conclude that Coach Stackhouse's protest was commensurate with the officiating crew's body of work for the game.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
vandyhank
Lieutenant

Post by vandyhank »

In my opinion of course.

Agree. Our coach had to be forcibly restrained and ejected. Not a good look for Vandy. He was mocked by Jason Whitlock, who showed the video on his Fearless sports show on UTUBE. Moreover, I would not have given coach the contract extnsion. He doesn't have Pipen anymore.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

vandyhank wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:25 pm Agree. Our coach had to be forcibly restrained and ejected. Not a good look for Vandy. He was mocked by Jason Whitlock, who showed the video on his Fearless sports show on UTUBE. Moreover, I would not have given coach the contract extnsion. He doesn't have Pipen anymore.
When was the last time Jason Whitlock was relevant?
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

In my opinion of course.

Of course you also have no idea what crap the ref said back to him.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

Re a recent game where stack got a technical:
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:52 am . No winners in this, but it certainly is a far cry from a coach sitting in a chair clapping.
Really? I wouldn't go there.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401489110

I haven't been online much about sports in a long time but I thought I'd look in. I didn't have anything to say about this particular post until I saw an unnecessary mention of a former coach (now coach of Grand Canyon) as though clapping is a problem.

I've seen plenty of coaches who clapped without anyone making fun of that before seeing how Vanderbilt fans behaved towards him.

I don't have anything to criticize Stackhouse about. I just don't understand why people keep bringing up Drew.

There's just no reason to do it. He's going to do well where he is. That doesn't mean I think he was in the right location when at Vanderbilt because he runs a religious Bible study in his style of coaching which is inappropriate at schools that are not religious schools like Grand Canyon.

He had a bad year at Vanderbilt and wound up in the right spot. And hopefully we've got the right coach for us. No reason to bring him up negatively about a mannerism someone wanted to insult him for.

There is nothing wrong with clapping. Nobody would've commented about that if he had been winning that year. His luck took him to a place better suited to him. Hopefully both he and Stackhouse will have a good year.
Locked Previous topicNext topic