Carter Lang news

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Re: Carter Lang news

Post by TwoSaints »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 am
quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 am Says he models his game after Jokić, which we'll take ;) - I can see that based on his passing ability and range in the highlight reel.

We'll see where this class ends up, but seems like we have some guys whose stock should rise in their senior seasons and fill some needed roles. Future looks good right now.
I did notice similarities but didn't want to mention it as you don't want to get carried away comparing a rising HS senior with one of the best players on the planet. But Lang does appear to utilize his size and vision to create for his teammates, and does like to use multiple angles/release points to get his shot off. The way he approaches and plays the game with his combination of size and skill would make him very difficult to defend.
I'm definitely with you on this, unless we're talking about the style of his game, in which case Lang actually bears almost as much of a resemblance to today's Jokic as Jokic himself bore when he was younger.

The biggest difference between 2014 Jokic (when he was 19 and first appeared on NBA scouts' radar) and Carter Lang right now is size. Jokic was enormous. At 19, he was 6'11" and 253 lbs., with a 7'3" wingspan and a 9'3" standing reach. That's very large, even by NBA standards, and Jokic has grown a little bit since then. Lang already seems to pass the ball as well as and more frequently than Jokic did at 19. But he's nowhere near the shooter that Jokic was. In 2013-14, while playing for Mega Leks in Europe against older players, Jokic hit 31.5% of his threes from the international line and made 65.6% of his free throws. In his NBA career, however, he's averaging 34.5% and 83.0%. So he's really bumped them up a lot. Meanwhile, Lang's numbers for Adidas club ball as a junior were 23% and 53%. So as a 17-year old (presumably) he has a long ways to go just to match Jokic's shooting numbers as a 19-year old. And not every player is able to improve their shooting the way that Jokic did. (SO many NBA draft picks are wasted on athletic non-shooters, mainly because of a handful of guys like Jokic and Kawhi Leonard who did improve rapidly.)

The thing that everybody seems to agree is a limitation for Lang is his athleticism and defense--in much the same way that they used to for Jokic:
The big downside, though, is his athleticism. He doesn't get much lift off the floor at all, and he doesn't have the speed burst to drive past opponents or stay in front of them laterally.(Bleacher Report, 2014)
But they also all seemed to say similar things about Jokic's "Basketball IQ":
Jokic always seems to have a sharp sense of his surroundings. He has a great feel for when plays are developing and knows where his teammates are in relation to the defense. Consequently, he's able to make some superb plays as a passer and convert easy buckets as a cutter.
So how did Jokic go from being seen as someone whose "...defense will likely prevent him from ever playing 30-plus minutes or starting" to a two-time MVP at 27? He improved his shooting, yes. And the game has changed, too. But he also doubled down on his rebounding and passing and used that prodigious basketball IQ on the defensive end to become a solid, if unspectacular, defender. That's why I like this comment from 247 about Carter Lang:
What he may lack in lateral quickness or vertical explosiveness though, he compensates for with overall basketball I.Q. He’s in all the right spots defensively, should be reliable understanding coverages and executing scouting reports.

Basketball history is full of big men with underwhelming athleticism and quickness who were able to compensate by knowing coverages and anticipating the other team's moves. Maybe Carter can do the same, even if he doesn't develop into a strong outside shooter?

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

TwoSaints wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:01 am
Jason94 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 am
quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 am Says he models his game after Jokić, which we'll take ;) - I can see that based on his passing ability and range in the highlight reel.

We'll see where this class ends up, but seems like we have some guys whose stock should rise in their senior seasons and fill some needed roles. Future looks good right now.
I did notice similarities but didn't want to mention it as you don't want to get carried away comparing a rising HS senior with one of the best players on the planet. But Lang does appear to utilize his size and vision to create for his teammates, and does like to use multiple angles/release points to get his shot off. The way he approaches and plays the game with his combination of size and skill would make him very difficult to defend.
I'm definitely with you on this, unless we're talking about the style of his game, in which case Lang actually bears almost as much of a resemblance to today's Jokic as Jokic himself bore when he was younger.

The biggest difference between 2014 Jokic (when he was 19 and first appeared on NBA scouts' radar) and Carter Lang right now is size. Jokic was enormous. At 19, he was 6'11" and 253 lbs., with a 7'3" wingspan and a 9'3" standing reach. That's very large, even by NBA standards, and Jokic has grown a little bit since then. Lang already seems to pass the ball as well as and more frequently than Jokic did at 19. But he's nowhere near the shooter that Jokic was. In 2013-14, while playing for Mega Leks in Europe against older players, Jokic hit 31.5% of his threes from the international line and made 65.6% of his free throws. In his NBA career, however, he's averaging 34.5% and 83.0%. So he's really bumped them up a lot. Meanwhile, Lang's numbers for Adidas club ball as a junior were 23% and 53%. So as a 17-year old (presumably) he has a long ways to go just to match Jokic's shooting numbers as a 19-year old. And not every player is able to improve their shooting the way that Jokic did. (SO many NBA draft picks are wasted on athletic non-shooters, mainly because of a handful of guys like Jokic and Kawhi Leonard who did improve rapidly.)

The thing that everybody seems to agree is a limitation for Lang is his athleticism and defense--in much the same way that they used to for Jokic:
The big downside, though, is his athleticism. He doesn't get much lift off the floor at all, and he doesn't have the speed burst to drive past opponents or stay in front of them laterally.(Bleacher Report, 2014)
But they also all seemed to say similar things about Jokic's "Basketball IQ":
Jokic always seems to have a sharp sense of his surroundings. He has a great feel for when plays are developing and knows where his teammates are in relation to the defense. Consequently, he's able to make some superb plays as a passer and convert easy buckets as a cutter.
So how did Jokic go from being seen as someone whose "...defense will likely prevent him from ever playing 30-plus minutes or starting" to a two-time MVP at 27? He improved his shooting, yes. And the game has changed, too. But he also doubled down on his rebounding and passing and used that prodigious basketball IQ on the defensive end to become a solid, if unspectacular, defender. That's why I like this comment from 247 about Carter Lang:
What he may lack in lateral quickness or vertical explosiveness though, he compensates for with overall basketball I.Q. He’s in all the right spots defensively, should be reliable understanding coverages and executing scouting reports.

Basketball history is full of big men with underwhelming athleticism and quickness who were able to compensate by knowing coverages and anticipating the other team's moves. Maybe Carter can do the same, even if he doesn't develop into a strong outside shooter?
That is why I was hesitant to bring up Joker in the Lang conversation - so much would have to occur for Lange to reach that level, that it is more presumptuous than the comparisons that we used to get of every shortish PF used to get to Charles Barkley. My original post the first thing I brought up was that it was his style of play that is so promising but that without any context of his shooting percentages (which we don't get from highlights) it is difficult to know how good he really is. But if he can really improve his shooting he could present the same mismatches that Jokic provides but at a college level. FWIW it does say he hit 63% of his FT's as a junior. Just 24% from three on 37 attempts but 61% of his 2 pt attempts. That is good for a player who isn't dunking everything.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Lang reminds me of that 35 year old truck driver loo0king center for Loyola that no one could stop.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

The Joker is truly a unique player. He is strong, great shooter and rebounder, with outstanding passing skills, plus more. Any comparison of Lang with Joker is necessarily speculative, even though there may be some superficial similarities.

My concern about Lang is his foot speed. That translates into defense and also the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive. Of course Lang's mid to even long range (3 point) shooting is important. I don't want to diminish the commitment of Lang. But, we will have to see him in action against SEC competition before any judgment is reasonably accurate.
Locked Previous topicNext topic