Isaiah West picks Vandy

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Re: Isaiah West picks Vandy

Post by LawoftheWest »

Jason94 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:24 am
Nashmann wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:02 pm Jankovich, McBride, Daniels, Harvey, Frank, Mann and Dorsey were all terrible...far from SEC caliber. A blessing they left and made room for others.
That is the point - 7 misses in recruiting over a 2 year period (ignoring Jank and including DeZonie). Those scholarships could have been used on player who were useful and those players could have been developed for a year or two under CJS and be ready to go this season. It is good that we haven't lost too many players that we've wanted to keep. It is bad that there have been so many players that we've not wanted to keep.

BTW, McBride was actually pretty good at ORU this past season. I'd hazard to guess that he'd be ahead of Thomas on the depth chart this season.
I don't keep up with recruiting like the experts on this board. However, maybe, just maybe, these were the best players who had an interest in Vandy. We had a deep hole to climb out from. It is possible that we could have done even worse. Of course Stack could have left player slots open. But then we might not have had enough to scrimmage, especially if there were one or more injuries. It is easy to take pot shots at our Coach, but maybe we don't know all of the facts.

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:23 pm
Jason94 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:24 am
Nashmann wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:02 pm Jankovich, McBride, Daniels, Harvey, Frank, Mann and Dorsey were all terrible...far from SEC caliber. A blessing they left and made room for others.
That is the point - 7 misses in recruiting over a 2 year period (ignoring Jank and including DeZonie). Those scholarships could have been used on player who were useful and those players could have been developed for a year or two under CJS and be ready to go this season. It is good that we haven't lost too many players that we've wanted to keep. It is bad that there have been so many players that we've not wanted to keep.

BTW, McBride was actually pretty good at ORU this past season. I'd hazard to guess that he'd be ahead of Thomas on the depth chart this season.
I don't keep up with recruiting like the experts on this board. However, maybe, just maybe, these were the best players who had an interest in Vandy. We had a deep hole to climb out from. It is possible that we could have done even worse. Of course Stack could have left player slots open. But then we might not have had enough to scrimmage, especially if there were one or more injuries. It is easy to take pot shots at our Coach, but maybe we don't know all of the facts.
Jeez, how is pointing out that these players were misses taking pot shots at the coach? These are facts. And this is almost certainly not a case of nobody wanting to play for us - even at our lowest, we were not the worst or least attractive school in D1. A lot of this is about fit - if a player leaves after 3 games then obviously that player was not a good fit.

Do you deal in personnel, recruiting or hiring? If you do then you know that the amount of effort it takes to train employees that one of the most costliest things that can happen in recruiting is hiring the wrong individual. If you aren't reevaluating your processes and screening when that many players leave, then you would have a problem. And if you just chalk this stuff up to external forces and don't evaluate how you can change things, then you reduce the chances for improvement.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Last I checked, telling the truth is not taking a potshot and some truths are uglier than others. CJS and staff brought in several players that had no business being on an SEC team. Perhaps Stack has confidence in his ability to develop raw players, but in turn those guys have to want to stay here and be developed. As someone pointed out earlier, several of these recruiting overreaches have thankfully left us for other schools.

Offering criticism of Stack's recruiting is not being anti-Stack or pro any other coach. You are not the only poster who conflates those two things.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Doreknox wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:37 pm
Last I checked, telling the truth is not taking a potshot and some truths are uglier than others. CJS and staff brought in several players that had no business being on an SEC team. Perhaps Stack has confidence in his ability to develop raw players, but in turn those guys have to want to stay here and be developed. As someone pointed out earlier, several of these recruiting overreaches have thankfully left us for other schools.

Offering criticism of Stack's recruiting is not being anti-Stack or pro any other coach. You are not the only poster who conflates those two things.
There are posters on this board who first said Stack didn't like or bother with recruiting, now it seems he is recruiting, but not doing it well, but I like to focus on the team results that are getting better - maybe, just maybe because he is a good coach.
CoachH
Petty Officer

Post by CoachH »

I can personally tell you that Isaiah west is a diamond in the rough!
He is going to be a great one for Vanderbilt!
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

CJS had a great recruiting year last year and so far he is following up with another. West a great recruit!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

It's just an impression but I have a sense that underneath Stack's glossy suits and NBA glamor there lurks a very strong blue collar work ethic. I would not be surprised if some players who otherwise have good potential might find that playing for Jerry Stackhouse is a lot more work than they imagined. And I am not sure there are many these days who want to work hard and develop for two years before getting significant playing time.
I think Stackhouse had a learning curve in recruiting and I think character and work ethic have probably moved up on his priority list.

DeZonie wasn't terrible. I was sorry to see him go. Mann was grossly out of position at the 5 but could have been a valuable backup 3/4 and he brought a level of toughness - but I think he probably looked at list of returning and incoming players and figured he'd get more minutes somewhere else.
I have no idea what McBride's problem was but if he'd hung around and worked hard he'd project as a very valuable piece for this coming season.
Frank is still a mystery to me. Physically it was obvious why he was a high 4 star recruit but he had an unbelievable amount of bonehead plays. I can't blame Stack for thinking Frank could be developed into a valuable player.
There is a lot of roster turnover everywhere these days. It's unfortunate that next year projects as a very strong front court and a questionable back court when Vanderbilt has so often been the other way around. But I don't see this as the result of glaring blunders by Stackhouse.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:52 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:33 pm I like our chances much better with Stack and guys like West than with coach 20-losses-in-a row.
Dunno, man. Looks like he just landed Kevin Durant.

[tweet][/tweet]
Wow, Bryce Drew sure can recruit. :D I suppose there is no amateur status anymore, so why can't he play pro ball in college?
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

alathIN wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:36 am It's just an impression but I have a sense that underneath Stack's glossy suits and NBA glamor there lurks a very strong blue collar work ethic. I would not be surprised if some players who otherwise have good potential might find that playing for Jerry Stackhouse is a lot more work than they imagined. And I am not sure there are many these days who want to work hard and develop for two years before getting significant playing time.
I think Stackhouse had a learning curve in recruiting and I think character and work ethic have probably moved up on his priority list.

DeZonie wasn't terrible. I was sorry to see him go. Mann was grossly out of position at the 5 but could have been a valuable backup 3/4 and he brought a level of toughness - but I think he probably looked at list of returning and incoming players and figured he'd get more minutes somewhere else.
I have no idea what McBride's problem was but if he'd hung around and worked hard he'd project as a very valuable piece for this coming season.
Frank is still a mystery to me. Physically it was obvious why he was a high 4 star recruit but he had an unbelievable amount of bonehead plays. I can't blame Stack for thinking Frank could be developed into a valuable player.
There is a lot of roster turnover everywhere these days. It's unfortunate that next year projects as a very strong front court and a questionable back court when Vanderbilt has so often been the other way around. But I don't see this as the result of glaring blunders by Stackhouse.
yes to all this. If Pippen makes the Lakers, much less plays, CJS rep will continue to grow. Picking at the roster turnover is certainly fair and without a doubt it is much more than desired . But anyone watching this team must sense that things are on the upswing.
Rudder01
Seaman

Post by Rudder01 »

thats awesome. hopefuly can be part of this great recruiting decade. then maybe we can turn it into wins.
Locked Previous topicNext topic