Thoughts on our open scholarship for 2022-23?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

bornadore57
Lieutenant

Thoughts on our open scholarship for 2022-23?

Post by bornadore57 »

Are any of you hearing or seeing anything about plans for the 13th scholarship for Vandy's upcoming men's basketball team? I'm hoping for someone with some experience to help mentor all the young talent coming in.

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on our open scholarship for 2022-23?

Post by underdog74 »

I would hope the staff has a plan in place as I'm sure the Kennedy news is not new for them. Whoever gets the scholly, I hope they can make it to the Europe trip, which will go a long way for experience/chemistry.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Personally, I'd be surprised if they use it this year. It's the end of June and the team is already on campus for summer workouts. There are no high schoolers left except true projects, and the transfer portal is likely very thin at this point.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Agreed, I hope we don't use it, unless it's:

a) someone with 1 year of eligibility remaining.
b) a touted transfer who has a late de-commit (doubtful at this stage)
c) a Dezonie return (don't see that happening)
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

Is this guy on scholarship?

Versus75
Admiral

Re: Miles Keeffe

Post by Versus75 »

Good catch, VUPKS.

I wrote a couple folks at Vanderbilt to ask about young Mr. Keeffe. The 2022-2023 player roster page is empty as of this writing, but an Internet search turned up this page on our official website:

https://vucommodores.com/roster/miles-keeffe/

Nothing about his commitment on the Men's Basketball News page, however.

While verbalcommits.com says he is going to UC-Riverside (https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/miles-keeffe), Robbie Weinstein at 247spors.com says Keeffe will be a Preferred Walk-On at Vanderbilt:

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 71/?page=1

Finally, regarding quasidiehardvandyfan's comments: I agree that we should not use a 4-year scholarship here. Perhaps diehard can add an "Item D" for PWO who might have a scholarship THIS season and then lose it next season.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

bornadore57 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:57 am Are any of you hearing or seeing anything about plans for the 13th scholarship for Vandy's upcoming men's basketball team? I'm hoping for someone with some experience to help mentor all the young talent coming in.
Interestingly enough, we have 5 players on the roster who were recruited as PG's and three players who were recruited as centers. That is 8 of the 13 players on the roster recruited at the least flexible positions (as in traditionally a center can play Center or PF, while a SF could potentially either move up or down a position depending upon the need. In addition 3 of the PG's are probably too small to reasonably play the SG spot defensively. The players we have at those "middle" positions (SG, SF and PF) are Stute, Smith, Wright and Dia. You don't necessarily want someone playing full time out of position but you do if you have to.

If, we get lucky and have a SG or SF come available who would be an obvious upgrade over what we have at the 2 right now I would grab that individual in a heartbeat. Having a great season and making the tournament will have far greater value than saving the scholarship for next season, and while only Robbins runs out of eligibility, it is almost a certainty that at least two players will transfer due to PT by the end of next season. There will be scholarships available next season, but the quality of players who would be considering taking those scholarships will improve greatly with a NCAA tournament run.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Jason makes good sense to me. Are there any players out there that would fit the bill, however. Suspect that will be the limiting factor at this point in time.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Miles Keeffe

Post by Versus75 »

I did get confirmation from Gavin Nevill that Keeffe is a Preferred Walk-On.

Gavin is listed under the Communications heading on the Vanderbilt Athletics staff directory.

Associate Director • Communications (Men's Basketball, Football)
gavin.nevill@vanderbilt.edu
Locked Previous topicNext topic