Transfers we are looking at?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Transfers we are looking at?

Post by MrMemorial »

alathIN wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:28 am
Jason94 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:33 pm
underdog74 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:02 pm VMBB in final 6 for Dexter Dennis of Wichita State.
Seems like a very similar offensive player to Max Evans but with better size. He hit his FT's very well as his three point shooting has gone down and isn't as good a finisher. Low usage guy who is not going to be a leading scorer but can jump up and have a big game when his three point shot is falling. I would expect that he is a really good defender given how much he plays despite not being a big shot guy.

Seems a little similar to Chatman as well - would have been perfect had Pippen came back but not bad if we do land him. Probably a good chance that a player like him would be more ready to start and contribute consistently than Lawrence or Thomas so he would be a roster upgrade at the cost of a single year of scholarship.
You seem to be pretty skeptical re Lawrence and I'm curious as to why because I respect your opinion.
My reckoning on Lawrence :
- Unlike Thomas he doesn't have obvious physical limitations - good mix of size, quickness, and hops (not elite in any of those, but solid in all)
- Although he's been around the program forever this was effectively his freshman year on the court and I'd think he could be a prime candidate for Stackhouse's player development machine
- shooting consistency seems to be his biggest limitation and should be coachable at least to some extent

I'd summarize his 21-22 season as "had some very good moments, wasn't consistent, was a liability at times" which you'd normally say sounds potentially promising for a freshman.

"Hasn't done it yet" is admittedly a strong counter argument. But I don't see any obvious reason he can't.
We haven't seen an entire season of Lawrence healthy. Thus I will defer back to his h.s. days.

Some of his other offers included Gonzaga. Here he is in travel ball vs top notch athletic kids...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orS0CHU1-j0

I will remain in the glass half full camp.

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:32 pm I heard a rumor that Presley Patterson from Knoxville Catholic knocked down more 3's than any other player in the 2021 Arby's Classic, shooting over 46% in 4 games from deep. And had an offer from Wake also.
Sure the kid had his reasons, but if he took WO status at Auburn versus schollie at Wake, he made a horrible decision.
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

I hope Patterson has a good career at Auburn (except against us 😜). But if there is one thing we don’t need next season it’s 5-11 guy with athleticism that would seem to make him a defensive liability and without enough quickness and ball handling to play point.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

OldDude wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:38 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:32 pm I heard a rumor that Presley Patterson from Knoxville Catholic knocked down more 3's than any other player in the 2021 Arby's Classic, shooting over 46% in 4 games from deep. And had an offer from Wake also.
Sure the kid had his reasons, but if he took WO status at Auburn versus schollie at Wake, he made a horrible decision.
How much “NIL” money is he getting?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:35 am
OldDude wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:38 pm
How much “NIL” money is he getting?
$4.00 ! But don't say anything; apparently he believes that is a lot of money.

Edit: Your post made me think of something that had not occurred to me before (a not uncommon situation these days). Is NIL limited to scholarship athletes or can teams exceed the scholarship number limit by loading up with NIL players ?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

OldDude wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:46 am Edit: Your post made me think of something that had not occurred to me before (a not uncommon situation these days). Is NIL limited to scholarship athletes or can teams exceed the scholarship number limit by loading up with NIL players ?
Yep. Exactly my point, Old Dude. I don’t know the answer for certain, but I don’t know that there is anything preventing players from cashing in on their NIL regardless of their status as a scholarship athlete.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:23 pm
OldDude wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:46 am Edit: Your post made me think of something that had not occurred to me before (a not uncommon situation these days). Is NIL limited to scholarship athletes or can teams exceed the scholarship number limit by loading up with NIL players ?
Yep. Exactly my point, Old Dude. I don’t know the answer for certain, but I don’t know that there is anything preventing players from cashing in on their NIL regardless of their status as a scholarship athlete.
So recruit a couple of 4-5 star one and done types as walkons putting them on big NIL bucks to easily cover tuition, etc. Then fill your quota with talented 3-4 star types on scholarship. In effect a school could have 15 or 16 really good players on the squad. The lunatics are running the asylum.
Locked Previous topicNext topic