Transfers we are looking at?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Transfers we are looking at?

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:47 am Or would we be better off with Tre Mitchell, Texas. 6-9, 220 lbs. Also played at UMass before Texas. Averaged 8.7 ppg and 4.0 rebs. This would be his third stop. Where is the grousing about the suggestion of offering him a VU schollie?

It actually would be fine with me if we bring in a guard or a forward as long as he's a great player, a solid citizen, a legit student. I wouldn't be shocked to see Wright play some off guard this season with a starting lineup something like this...

Robbins
QMB
Stute
Wright
Manjon (his speed/quickness could allow this to work)
i have yet to see anyone suggesting that we are going after Tre Mitchell, but while he also isn't at a priority position, his rate stats are far superior to Delaire - better shooter all around, better rebounder, better assist and TO rate. Delaire played about 24 mpg on a mediocre team in the worst power 6 conference while Mitchell played about 16 mpg on a good team in the best conference overall.

BTW, academics are what I would refer to as "table stakes". A requirement but in no way the only, nor most important attribute, from the standpoint that the players we are going after should all be academically qualified. So in this conversation I will generally ignore it, as if they are not qualified we will not go after them, so all discussions are based on the assumption that the particular player is. If not it doesn't matter anyway. The important question is how does a player fit and the pool we have to draw from are academically qualified students. Additionally, academics are a lot like athletics in that once you've been in college for a year or two what you did in HS doesn't really matter that much. There are a ton of students who have gone to "lower" rated colleges/universities who have excelled far above some who have gone to very prestigious universities. It is just not possible for us to evaluate which players are an academic fit for the program as that information is not available and the school they are currently going to is not a good enough proxy for this.

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Seems so many other teams(especially SEC) are loading up from the portal and we signed two underwhelming guards, one for 4 years unless he bails like the last class did. Nowadays you can't take a chance much on project players especially in the SEC or if you want to go to the big dance. Not saying these two won't pan out but on paper not that much to help us. Why Lewis when we already have Shelby in the fold? I mean as an example look who uUT signed in Key.

This last opening I hope we get the best available player regardless of the position but who is a proven scorer!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

There are four wings in the 6-4/6-5 range we are still seriously looking at. I won't shout the names out due to premium content elsewhere but can say this much. Two are from mid-majors and two are from more traditional well-known D-1 schools. Three have one season left and one has three... obviously that might be a great get and he is also known as a lock-down defender. People will gripe if we get him because they are going to say "who?" about his current school but he has already started 59 D-1 games including a 19 point game against Izzo's Michigan State.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I not sure if this is important news or not.... former VU recruit Kerwin Walton (UNC) just hit the portal.

6-5 wing... played sparingly much of his second year at UNC after starting 20 games the first. He did set the UNC freshman record for the highest 3-point field goal percentage with at least 50 made threes – a record previously held by Rashad McCants.

Other offers out of h.s. besides UNC and Vandy included Arizona, Purdue, Baylor, Texas, etc
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:58 am I not sure if this is important news or not.... former VU recruit Kerwin Walton (UNC) just hit the portal.

6-5 wing... played sparingly much of his second year at UNC after starting 20 games the first. He did set the UNC freshman record for the highest 3-point field goal percentage with at least 50 made threes – a record previously held by Rashad McCants.

Other offers out of h.s. besides UNC and Vandy included Arizona, Purdue, Baylor, Texas, etc
Important or not, at least interesting. I think we could use another shooter. Thanks.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Here's a new one VU is reportedly eyeing--Seneca Knight, 6-6 224 lb. forward from BYU. Entered the portal yesterday. Shot 40% this season, averaging 7.4 pts ppg and 3.4 rbs. Had 2 pts in 21 minutes vs. Vandy in Hawaii in December. Also played at San Jose State and LSU.

https://byucougars.com/athlete/m-basket ... eca-knight
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:14 pm Here's a new one VU is reportedly eyeing--Seneca Knight, 6-6 224 lb. forward from BYU. Entered the portal yesterday. Shot 40% this season, averaging 7.4 pts ppg and 3.4 rbs. Had 2 pts in 21 minutes vs. Vandy in Hawaii in December. Also played at San Jose State and LSU.

Interesting - his next school will be his third. Not too sure what our interest would be - he is not a particularly good shooter nor strong rebounder. He is also not a shooting guard - more of a SF/PF (played mostly PF this season, and is not any better than any of our returners, nor clearly more talented than our newcomers.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:14 pm Here's a new one VU is reportedly eyeing--Seneca Knight, 6-6 224 lb. forward from BYU. Entered the portal yesterday. Shot 40% this season, averaging 7.4 pts ppg and 3.4 rbs. Had 2 pts in 21 minutes vs. Vandy in Hawaii in December. Also played at San Jose State and LSU.

We would be his fourth school and he brings 7.4 points and 3.4 rebounds. Sorry, but think we should pass.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Would prefer Walton if he is an option.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

OldDude wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:38 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:58 am I not sure if this is important news or not.... former VU recruit Kerwin Walton (UNC) just hit the portal.

Important or not, at least interesting. I think we could use another shooter. Thanks.
This guy sounds like a good one and he is familiar with Vandy....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

He looks like he can shoot - but as the rotation shortened (UNC played their starters a ton this season especially in the tournament) he had a lot more bench time (as did a lot of the non-starters) and did struggle a little to find his groove. But as a freshman shot the ball very well both inside and outside the arc. To some extent is a bigger, taller version of Trey Thomas, and that height difference is critical to be able to defend SEC SG's. Would like to have him but he would make Thomas redundant.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Here's a PG we've reached out to--Frankie Collins, transfer from Michigan. Was a freshman this past season, averaged 2.8 ppg and was the #47 ranked prospect coming out of high school. Set career highs in the NCAAs vs Colorado State in points (14) and rebounds (6) in the Wolverines' win over Colorado State, and played 30 minutes versus UT.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

How many scholarships are left? I thought the addition of Lewis was the last?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

doubledore9603 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:41 am How many scholarships are left? I thought the addition of Lewis was the last?
With SPjr leaving, that should open one up. (?)
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

One scholarship remains with Dorsey leaving. I posted a roster breakdown in the recent thread re: Lewis.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Why are we still looking at transfers when we just filled the last position with a freshman? I don't see an open spot unless Stack knows of someone ELSE that is going to enter the portal.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

commadore wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:43 am Why are we still looking at transfers when we just filled the last position with a freshman? I don't see an open spot unless Stack knows of someone ELSE that is going to enter the portal.
Gabe Dorsey's late transfer opened up a new scholarship.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:43 am Why are we still looking at transfers when we just filled the last position with a freshman? I don't see an open spot unless Stack knows of someone ELSE that is going to enter the portal.
By my count we should have 1 more scholarship available. The way the classes lay out we have the following players on scholarship:

Sr - 1
Jr - 3
So - 3
Fr - 5

It makes sense that we would be looking at a transfer even now, just from a class balance standpoint. But it also makes sense from a SG depth standpoint.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:25 am
Gabe Dorsey's late transfer opened up a new scholarship.
I thought the last signee this weekend filled that. Guess I miscounted.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Current 22-23 Roster:

6 current returning scholarship players:
Lawrence
QMB
Robbins
Stute
Thomas
Wright

5 inbound freshmen:
Dia
Dort
Lewis
Shelby
Smith

1 transfer committed:
Manjon

Room for one more. For class distribution’s sake, I really hope it is an upperclassman. But then, the way the transfer portal works nowadays, it seems having a fully loaded freshman class doesn’t preclude heavy recruiting for the following class.
Locked Previous topicNext topic