Transfers we are looking at?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

tvu
Petty Officer

Transfers we are looking at?

Post by tvu »

Anyone know of any transfers we are looking at for sure? Are we even looking at Tyreke Key from Ind. State?

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Transfers we are looking at?

Post by Nashmann »

Not heard a word....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Could this be a hold-up?

https://gosycamores.com/news/2021/11/8/ ... rgery.aspx

Veteran guard Jermain Cousinard from South Carolina is still in the portal. Apparently the assumption that he was going to UMass with Coach Martin does not necessarily hold water. There are still tons of players available. Brandon Huntley-Hatfield from uut went in the portal minutes ago.
tvu
Petty Officer

Post by tvu »

I did just hear today that he has been contacted by Stack, so we shall see what comes of it.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

tvu wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:03 pm I did just hear today that he has been contacted by Stack, so we shall see what comes of it.
Key would be great if he recovers fully to play the shooting guard spot with Pippen returning. If Pippen didn't return we would want another player who could play the point, as I don't think Thomas is a solution even in limited minutes.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Thomas and Lawrence will be getting minutes no matter what.

If they're staying, they're playing. At least some.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

If just one opening we need a point guard(who has some ability to score). If two openings if Pippen leaves we would need a big-time scorer regardless of position.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:03 pm If just one opening we need a point guard(who has some ability to score). If two openings if Pippen leaves we would need a big-time scorer regardless of position.
I don't know that we would necessarily need a PG if Pippen stays because both Pippen and Shelby are point guards. If Pippen leaves we would need a PG because we saw what happens last year with just one PG option.

Agree that we would want a scorer if Pippen leaves, but there is a scenario where if we get two guards that are reasonable scorers (8-12 ppg types) that we would be ok. I can see Wright and Robbins at double digit scoring next season, and with a couple more players around 10 ppg we would have a offense that would be at least as good as this year's version.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:59 pm Thomas and Lawrence will be getting minutes no matter what.

If they're staying, they're playing. At least some.
I don't disagree with that at all, especially even if Pippen returns they are the 3rd and 4th guards on the roster assuming that Shelby is a day 1 starter (which isn't a given). At this moment CJS doesn't have a lot of options so Lawrence and Thomas are going to have to play. Just noting that Thomas struggled mightily when forced to play the PG for the few minutes that Pippen sat on the bench and we will struggle if he is playing significant minutes at the point. Lawrence is a little better when he has his confidence, but he lost it in the middle of the season and struggled more than Thomas for a stretch. Both are OK as backups, but neither is a starter on a tournament team based on what they did last season.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:23 am
Nashmann wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:03 pm If just one opening we need a point guard(who has some ability to score). If two openings if Pippen leaves we would need a big-time scorer regardless of position.
I don't know that we would necessarily need a PG if Pippen stays because both Pippen and Shelby are point guards. If Pippen leaves we would need a PG because we saw what happens last year with just one PG option.

Agree that we would want a scorer if Pippen leaves, but there is a scenario where if we get two guards that are reasonable scorers (8-12 ppg types) that we would be ok. I can see Wright and Robbins at double digit scoring next season, and with a couple more players around 10 ppg we would have a offense that would be at least as good as this year's version.
I thought the whole idea was to get Pippen away from PG duties thus the reason we got Chatman. Shelby most likely won't be ready to be a starter for a while. THAT is why we need a seasoned PG like Chatman. I don't see Wright picking up Pippen's scoring or Robbins. Wright would have to score 20 points above his last year's average. Robbins will probably average about 12 points per game. Wright can be inconsistent. I Pippen leaves we would NEED someone who can score consistently. We had too many 4- minute gaps last season NOT scoring a point or at least a field goal EVEN with Pippen! We don't want to end up in the bottom 4 of the SEC.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:20 am
Jason94 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:23 am

I thought the whole idea was to get Pippen away from PG duties thus the reason we got Chatman. Shelby most likely won't be ready to be a starter for a while. THAT is why we need a seasoned PG like Chatman. I don't see Wright picking up Pippen's scoring or Robbins. Wright would have to score 20 points above his last year's average. Robbins will probably average about 12 points per game. Wright can be inconsistent. I Pippen leaves we would NEED someone who can score consistently. We had too many 4- minute gaps last season NOT scoring a point or at least a field goal EVEN with Pippen! We don't want to end up in the bottom 4 of the SEC.
Part of our droughts that was because if teams could focus on our top scorer that nobody else would step up. There are plenty of teams that have multiple scorers that range from 8-12 ppg - Xavier did that this year. We'd be better off if we could balance our scoring and let Pippen play more true point guard. Wright already averages double digits and Robbins did so at Minn the previous season. Chatman only played PG when Pippen wasn't starting - he wasn't the primary ballhandler in any of the games that he played, and his numbers reflect that.

I think we need to lighten the scoring load off of Pippen - he ended up forcing too many thing because often times there wasn't another reliable scorer on the floor. He might still average 18 ppg on a better team, but shoot a lot more accurately if teams aren't keying on him quite so much.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Kendrick Davis SMU is in the portal. PG and scorer.
https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=33720039
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Looks like VU is in the final four for Wofford transfer 6-3 G Max Klesmit. Has two years of eligibility remaining.

https://woffordterriers.com/sports/mens ... esmit/7193
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

not bad numbers. We could do worse.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I like the 59% 2-pt shooting and 84% free throw shooting. 1.9 assists and 2.0 TO per game not great, but 1.6 steals per game makes up for that.

Best game of season at South Carolina: 8-10 FG (5-7 3-pt), 6-6 FT, 4 steals, 27 pts.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:34 pm Looks like VU is in the final four for Wofford transfer 6-3 G Max Klesmit. Has two years of eligibility remaining.

https://woffordterriers.com/sports/mens ... esmit/7193
I would think he has three years of eligibility remaining since his first season was in 2021, which to my understanding the NCAA considers to be a mulligan season. Is this not correct?

Seems like a pretty good scorer, somewhat efficient, and someone who should be a good shooter given that he has shot 84% from the line for his career so far. He is not a PG first, but probably one who can play some PG in the way that Chatman did. He shot very well inside the arc, i wonder how his drives to the basket will fare against taller and more athletic competition? If he is looking hard at us if this is a potential sign of what Pippen might be doing since he is not a PG.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:14 pm
I would think he has three years of eligibility remaining since his first season was in 2021, which to my understanding the NCAA considers to be a mulligan season. Is this not correct?
Correct. I looked at two seasons played and just assumed two more.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Re: Klesmit, in addition to Jason’s question about how well his inside shooting numbers would hold up in the SEC, I also question how well the steal rate/defense would translate. Wofford’s schedule wasn’t particularly compelling.
kenpom SOS was 148 (compared to 36 for VU)

Further complicating his scoring numbers last season, Wofford’s opponents’ adjusted defensive efficiency was 239 in the NCAA. I can’t help but question if he would be a bit of a stretch to make an immediate impact, especially given the A:TO rate against that defensive schedule.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I trust Stack and his evaluation
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:14 am I trust Stack and his evaluation
I think this is a pretty good pickup should we get him, but I CJS definitely hasn't been infallible in his talent evaluation, and the questions are legitimate given that Klesmit just hasn't played against many high-level teams. Seems very similar to Nolan Cressler, except he hit his FT's at a higher percentage. But even Cressler struggled in his first season with us as there is a transition when you move up a couple of levels.

Transfers have been very hit and miss - Robbins and Chatman were good and QMB has been good, but Frank was a very poor fit, Mann was ok, Harvey and Moyer were pretty bad. We are no longer looking at bringing in players to try to field a roster but are now looking to add the final pieces for what could be a very good and deep tournament team. While CJS can better afford mistakes, the right transfer could take this team to the next level, which is making the tournament and a top 4 seed in the SEC.
Locked Previous topicNext topic