Total SEC Wins

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Total SEC Wins

Post by Nashmann »

How many wins in the SEC do you think we will win this year? I think 3 or 4 max if that. If we play like we have been 2 may be a stretch. Hope I eat my words....

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Total SEC Wins

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Nashmann wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:06 pm How many wins in the SEC do you think we will win this year? I think 3 or 4 max if that. If we play like we have been 2 may be a stretch. Hope I eat my words....
My guess is 6 or 7. The pattern under Jerry Stackhouse has been that the team improves as the season progresses. Getting Chatman and/or Robbins into the lineup will help. VU is a below average shooting team, but probably not as bad as the results in the last few games indicate.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:18 pm
Nashmann wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:06 pm How many wins in the SEC do you think we will win this year? I think 3 or 4 max if that. If we play like we have been 2 may be a stretch. Hope I eat my words....
My guess is 6 or 7. The pattern under Jerry Stackhouse has been that the team improves as the season progresses. Getting Chatman and/or Robbins into the lineup will help. VU is a below average shooting team, but probably not as bad as the results in the last few games indicate.
I see nothing that would give me the confidence this team can win six SEC games. This team could go winless in the SEC.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Ceiling is probably 3. Having the injured guys back won't help this team as much as some think. They are not going to step in and magically (as frosh in the SEC) improve this team enough that it can win 6.

Someone claimed yesterday that Loyola Chicago is equal to a mid-range SEC team. I laughed my a** off. Have you seen the SEC this year???? There are currently SEVEN ranked teams! There is us at the bottom, then 2-3 teams that will only win 3-6 games in conference, then the gauntlet competing for tournament spots. Proser is gone, that team is not like their F4 team a year or two ago.

And lets not talk about Temple. They are 6-4, and we are by a mile the most "name" team they've beaten. A quick check of SMU shows they lost to Mizzou and Loyola Marymount at home (beyond Dayton, we are by far the most "name" team they've beaten}.

We suck. We're poorly coached. We really don't know how much talent we have, but it doesn't look like much. I'd be STUNNED (and I hope to be so) if we won 4 conference games.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

dallasdore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:54 pm Ceiling is probably 3. Having the injured guys back won't help this team as much as some think. They are not going to step in and magically (as frosh in the SEC) improve this team enough that it can win 6.

Someone claimed yesterday that Loyola Chicago is equal to a mid-range SEC team. I laughed my a** off. Have you seen the SEC this year???? There are currently SEVEN ranked teams! There is us at the bottom, then 2-3 teams that will only win 3-6 games in conference, then the gauntlet competing for tournament spots. Proser is gone, that team is not like their F4 team a year or two ago.

And lets not talk about Temple. They are 6-4, and we are by a mile the most "name" team they've beaten. A quick check of SMU shows they lost to Mizzou and Loyola Marymount at home (beyond Dayton, we are by far the most "name" team they've beaten}.

We suck. We're poorly coached. We really don't know how much talent we have, but it doesn't look like much. I'd be STUNNED (and I hope to be so) if we won 4 conference games.
Agreed.

And I’ve heard some fans say “We beat Pitt on the road so we’re making progress!”

That Pitt team is 3-6. Their wins were over Colgate, UNC-Wilmington and Towson. That wasn’t as good of a win as some would like to believe. Yes, we won on the road and blew a close game open in the second half, but that was not a good team.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'm with nyYankeeDore, I think 5 wins, give or take, is about right. The SEC is overrated, Vandy will improve (how could you shoot worse than they have) and they will (hopefully) get some help with the 2 additions. VU should be a bit better than last season and they won 3 games in a shortened season (well they didn't play 2 SEC games including A&M who they later defeated in the tourney).
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

dallasdore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:54 pm Ceiling is probably 3. Having the injured guys back won't help this team as much as some think. They are not going to step in and magically (as frosh in the SEC) improve this team enough that it can win 6.

There are six SEC teams (Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Kentucky, and Arkansas) ahead of Loyola Chicago in the Sagarin ratings and eight SEC teams behind them.
VU#
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

You make a good point, nyyankeedore, but watch where they finish the season. They might be ahead of one or two (us most likely) SEC teams in that ranking. They wouldn't finish middle of the pack SEC. No way. They'd be down near us.

Sagarin ratings are a crap shoot this time of year. Some teams haven't even played any measuring stick opponents yet.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

dallasdore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:06 pm You make a good point, nyyankeedore, but watch where they finish the season. They might be ahead of one or two (us most likely) SEC teams in that ranking. They wouldn't finish middle of the pack SEC. No way. They'd be down near us.

Sagarin ratings are a crap shoot this time of year. Some teams haven't even played any measuring stick opponents yet.
Kenpom actually has Loyola Chicago as higher than sagarin. They are behind 5 SEC team in those rankings. They lost their big guy from last year's team, but return a lot of upperclassmen from a team that went to the sweet 16. This is a legitimately good team.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:10 am
dallasdore wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:06 pm You make a good point, nyyankeedore, but watch where they finish the season. They might be ahead of one or two (us most likely) SEC teams in that ranking. They wouldn't finish middle of the pack SEC. No way. They'd be down near us.

Kenpom actually has Loyola Chicago as higher than sagarin. They are behind 5 SEC team in those rankings. They lost their big guy from last year's team, but return a lot of upperclassmen from a team that went to the sweet 16. This is a legitimately good team.
These guys are 9-2. The lost to Michigan State 63-62. They lost to Auburn 62-53.
Among the wins, Arizona State 77-59 and Indiana State 88-76.
They are NOT a bad team.
Last edited by commadore on Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

I am an optimist with 2 good players on bench with injuries improving.........3-4 SEC wins
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

TeamRankings.com says 6 SEC wins: UGa twice; SoCar twice; A&M; Mizzou
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

6 this year and more next year.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

We did better than a lot of people expected. It also became clear that Chatman & Robbins were great additions to the team. I hope VU can match those transfer acquisitions in the upcoming offseason.
VU#
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:27 am We did better than a lot of people expected. It also became clear that Chatman & Robbins were great additions to the team. I hope VU can match those transfer acquisitions in the upcoming offseason.
thanks for dredging this old thread up. We very well with a couple of breaks have finished with 8 or 9 SEC wins, but 7 is better than most predicted. Let's just try and get some more wins in the SECT.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Also, on the subject of Loyola Chicago - kenpom has them at #24, behind UK (3), Auburn (7), UT (12), LSU (17), Arky (19), and Bama (22). They probably would have finished middle of the SEC and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make the Sweet 16 again this year depending on their draw in the tourney. I like their chances over LSU and Arkansas. Probably Bama, too. They’re relatively balanced offensively and defensively and have shown themselves capable of winning games up or down tempo.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Well, we did better than I thought we would. WAsn't counting on Chatman or Robbins playing much. They really made a difference as we won 3 more than I thought. think we blew a few more we should have won. The team played much harder last half of the season despite a regressing Wright. Pippen is awesome but his team-leading turnovers hurt some. We needed someone else to step up and defensively QMB did. Robbins playing at the end was a big boost also. Would be nice to have both Robbins AND Chatman play in the SECT... can't help but think what could have been....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Just a reminder; this year's conference record is the best since the team coached by Kornet, LaChance and Roberson.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

dcdore wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:39 am Just a reminder; this year's conference record is the best since the team coached by Kornet, LaChance and Roberson.
Three SEC road wins this season and 5 total road wins. Not earth shaking....but... that is more total road wins than these teams:
LSU
Alabama
Florida
South Carolina
Mississippi State
Missouri
Ole Miss
Georgia
Stanford
Utah
Syracuse
Louisville
NC State
Georgia Tech
Marquette
Xavier
Indiana
Maryland
Minnesota

And Watson Brown who wanted Stack fired in middle of the season? He had one road win in five years at VU (at Rutgers) and zero in the SEC.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Golddore68 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:01 pm
I see nothing that would give me the confidence this team can win six SEC games. This team could go winless in the SEC.
Locked Previous topicNext topic