Vanderbilt All-Stars

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Vanderbilt All-Stars

Post by TwoSaints »

Hi everyone. I know a lot of you don’t follow the NBA much, but there is a pretty interesting Vanderbilt-related story developing right now: Darius Garland has an excellent chance of being named an NBA All-Star this season.

Darius’s play has been very good all year long and has been the only constant during Cleveland’s sudden rise from lottery regulars to playoff contenders. (There are many reasons for that improvement, but Darius has been the only consistent factor, as Allen and Mobley have both missed large chunks of the season).

But he has really turned it up another notch recently: He’s averaging 20.6 pts, 4.4 reb, 10.1 ast, and only 2.4 TOs in seven games this month—the last six of which were on the road. As a result, I’m starting to see fairly regular mentions of his name in the media as a likely all-star.

If Darius does make it, am I correct that it will be only the second appearance by a Vanderbilt player in the All-Star Game? I know Clyde Lee was an all-star once in the 1960s, but I can’t think of any others.

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Vanderbilt All-Stars

Post by Seadog73 »

I thought maybe Will Purdue, with his 4 NBA championships, but best I can tell he was never on an All-Star team.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Lee was an All-Star, but you're right--I don't think there have been any others.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Seadog73 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:21 pm I thought maybe Will Purdue, with his 4 NBA championships, but best I can tell he was never on an All-Star team.
Bob Warren had an eight-year ABA career (ya know, the league Will Ferrell and Woody Harrelson made fun of), he scored 4,347 points and ranks 27th in ABA history in total games played (486). But I don't think he made the ABA all-star game. I don't think VBK played in one either but some of those included Artis Gilmore, Ralph Sampson, Dr. J, David Thompson, Moses Malone, Rick Barry and even the late Les Hunter that played at Pearl High here in Nashville. No shortage on talent no matter how Hollywood parodied the league.

I had one of those red-white-&-blue basketballs back then but that's a long story for a different day.

Remember the downstairs at Kuhn's 5&10 in Belle Meade Plaza? Yep, I got it there.

VBK about to get scored on by "the doctor."
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:39 pm
Seadog73 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:21 pm I thought maybe Will Purdue, with his 4 NBA championships, but best I can tell he was never on an All-Star team.
Bob Warren had an eight-year ABA career (ya know, the league Will Ferrell and Woody Harrelson made fun of), he scored 4,347 points and ranks 27th in ABA history in total games played (486). But I don't think he made the ABA all-star game. I don't think VBK played in one either but some of those included Artis Gilmore, Ralph Sampson, Dr. J, David Thompson, Moses Malone, Rick Barry and even the late Les Hunter that played at Pearl High here in Nashville. No shortage on talent no matter how Hollywood parodied the league.

I had one of those red-white-&-blue basketballs back then but that's a long story for a different day.

Remember the downstairs at Kuhn's 5&10 in Belle Meade Plaza? Yep, I got it there.

VBK about to get scored on by "the doctor."
Had to laugh at the perm on Warren. Bob was a great player here - awesome reverse layups. Man, VU has gotten some great players out of KY.

Edit - the VU basketball nerds in the crowd might like this brief article :

http://www.apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4759
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Warren, Wyenandt, Hagan, Lee, Grace , John Ed , Weber, Wallace, Freeman , Davis, Southwood, F-Troop- gosh and so many more- these players were great fun to watch. I wish I still felt that way about it now.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

jpmando wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:08 pm Warren, Wyenandt, Hagan, Lee, Grace , John Ed , Weber, Wallace, Freeman , Davis, Southwood, F-Troop- gosh and so many more- these players were great fun to watch. I wish I still felt that way about it now.
The light is at the end of the tunnel. This program is about to make a major comeback.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

If you haven't read it already, I strongly recommend the book Loose Balls, an oral history of the ABA by Cleveland sportswriter Terry Pluto. It's fascinating, and sometimes hysterical.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:37 pm
If you haven't read it already, I strongly recommend the book Loose Balls, an oral history of the ABA by Cleveland sportswriter Terry Pluto. It's fascinating, and sometimes hysterical.
I have it. Somewhere in the house.

Very concerning, what it had to say about Adolph Rupp. (not good)
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:39 pm Lee was an All-Star, but you're right--I don't think there have been any others.
I lived in New Jersey at the time and was at that game at Madison Square Garden. I was not yet a Vanderbilt fan and didn't pay much attention to Clyde Lee.

My team was the Cincinnati Royals (now Sacramento Kings) and Royals stars Oscar Robertson and Jerry Lucas started for the East team along with Dave Bing of the Pistons, Wilt Chamberlain of the 76ers and local Knicks hero Willis Reed. Bill Russell had to come off the bench.

Clyde generally played Power Forward / Center along side of Warriors star Nate Thurmond who was averaging over 20 points and 22 rebounds per game. Thurmond was selected for the All-Star game for the fourth straight year, but was injured just a few days before the 1968 All-Star Game.

Lee was inserted as a substitute and was the top rebounder in the game with 11.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/al ... _1968.html

P.S. I also had an ABA red-white-and-blue ball from a Nets game. It was the giveaway to kids with admission. Kept it for a long time, but I believe it found the waste bin a couple moves ago.

P.P.S. Jeff Turner was a member of the 1984 Gold-Medal U.S. Olympic Team. That should count for something.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

jpmando wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:08 pm Warren, Wyenandt, Hagan, Lee, Grace , John Ed , Weber, Wallace, Freeman , Davis, Southwood, F-Troop- gosh and so many more- these players were great fun to watch. I wish I still felt that way about it now.
Phil Cox Terry Compton? Scott Draud great players from Ky
Last edited by Nashmann on Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

How about Perry County’s Mike Rhodes, the country to Charles Davis’ town.
Mike was the career leading scorer when he finished in 1981. Of course his record has been eclipsed by several others since.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Versus75 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:57 pm

P.P.S. Jeff Turner was a member of the 1984 Gold-Medal U.S. Olympic Team. That should count for something.
CM Newton served as an assistant coach for the United States gold medal team at the 1984 Olympics and helped construct the "Dream Team" as president of USA Basketball from 1992 to 1996.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:12 pm
Phil Cox Terry Compton? Scott Draud great players from Ky
Frank Kornet. Dan Hall. Barry Goheen Derrick Wilcox. etc
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

OldDude wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:47 pm Edit - the VU basketball nerds in the crowd might like this brief article :

http://www.apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4759
Thanks so much, OD. I got to know Bob back in the 80s. He had so many admirable qualities. Example: As is the custom, he would ask people how they were (doing). And get the same stock answers "Fine." "Good" "Ok" Then he'd look at them and say: "How are you... really?" And they would pour out their innermost thoughts. And there was no doubt he cared about every one of them for every one of us.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

others from the sixties are keith thomas, john russell and roger schurig (all guards).
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Even earlier…Bobby Thym, Al Rochelle, Ron Griffiths, Bill Depp, Larry Banks.
Late ‘50s-early’60s. Coach Bob Polk preceded Skinner.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Two comments:

1) I hate to say it, but I just can't muster a whole lot of school pride for Garland. I bear him no ill will and wish him the best, but his association with Vandy was short lived and (through no fault of his) is closely linked to the most miserable season in program history.

2) Not exactly the same thing, but Sheri Sam made a WNBA all-star game...
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

The All-Star Chip Rupp lol
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Bob Warren was a tremendous athlete! As a senior, Larry Schmittou asked him to take batting practice with the team. He hit numerous home runs and wowed all the baseball players, but he was concentrating on getting ready for the ABA. He also drew interest from the Dallas Cowboys as a receiver! Bobby was a deeply religious and humble man and after his playing career, became a preacher and a farmer in Ky. After the book, Strong Inside, was published, he drove to DC to meet with Perry Wallace and apologized for not recognizing the struggles Perry was experiencing. Warren was a Senior the first year Perry played for the varsity, so they didn’t really have much time together. Bobby was a genuine, kind and great person who left us much too soon!!
Locked Previous topicNext topic