Retiring #32

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Retiring #32

Post by MemorialMagic »

I keep coming back to feeling that the school really missed an enormous opportunity retiring the #32. I love Shan as much as anyone. I think he is 100% deserving. That said I also think that Will Perdue and VBK are equally as deserving and if they would have honored them as well, it would have healed a lot of semi open wounds. It’s no secret that Will hasn’t had the best of relationships with the school over the years, and the school fired VBK for goodness sakes.

Would have been just a really unifying and healing experience if you hoisted the jersey into the rafters with all 3 of them and their families there. Put their names up their with it. Would have been really cool bridging the generations of fans and players. Big time missed opportunity.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Retiring #32

Post by charlestonalum »

Why don't you recommend this to Candace.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

MemorialMagic wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 pm I keep coming back to feeling that the school really missed an enormous opportunity retiring the #32. I love Shan as much as anyone. I think he is 100% deserving. That said I also think that Will Perdue and VBK are equally as deserving and if they would have honored them as well, it would have healed a lot of semi open wounds. It’s no secret that Will hasn’t had the best of relationships with the school over the years, and the school fired VBK for goodness sakes.

Would have been just a really unifying and healing experience if you hoisted the jersey into the rafters with all 3 of them and their families there. Put their names up their with it. Would have been really cool bridging the generations of fans and players. Big time missed opportunity.
I agree. The fact that three of Vanderbilt basketball's top 5 or 10 achievers had the same uniform number should be celebrated, not ignored.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

charlestonalum wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 am Why don't you recommend this to Candace.
Just wondering if they would feel like they were an afterthought. I believe the horse is out of the barn and it would take some real diplomacy on Candace’s part to soothe these wounds now!
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Ndorefin wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:44 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 am Why don't you recommend this to Candace.
Just wondering if they would feel like they were an afterthought. I believe the horse is out of the barn and it would take some real diplomacy on Candace’s part to soothe these wounds now!
VU AD seems to be expert at opening the barn door before giving any thought as to why it is being opened or the consequences thereof.

To be clear, I think Foster is worthy of recognition, but both VBK and Perdue had more impactful and publicly noteworthy careers.
Locked Previous topicNext topic