We used to beat Kentucky every so often

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

We used to beat Kentucky every so often

Post by Golddore68 »

They’ve always been a top 10-type team but we could compete with them and beat them every so often.

Usually at Memorial Gymnasium, we’d beat them. Stallings beat them a couple of times in Rupp but most of the time they’d beat us there.

But with Drew and now CJS, we’re 0-for our last 11 games against them.

We did have a close down to the wire game we lost in overtime when Drew was the coach the year we were winless in the SEC, but since then we haven’t really been competitive against them.

And I doubt we’ll beat them at Rupp later this year so that’ll make it 0-for-12.

Jason94
Admiral

Re: We used to beat Kentucky every so often

Post by Jason94 »

You are correct - we beat UK 12 times under CKS, including twice at Rupp and twice in the SEC-T. He certainly lost more than he won, but as you noted, they typically cam in ranked in the top 10. I don't think we ever had more talent than they did. The coaches immediately preceding and following CKS are now 0 for the seasons 94 to 99 and 2017 to 2022. It is easier to stomach bad losses when you have wins against UK. The longest we went without beating UK between 2000 and 2016 was two seasons, which occurred twice, once at the very start of CKS' tenure and the other time being during the 2014 and 2015 seasons, when we only played them once per season. It seems like forever ago, but we actually swept UK in both the 2006 and 2007 seasons.
WDMDore
Lieutenant

Post by WDMDore »

We used to have a good basketball program. Drew ruined that.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

For a VU-KY game, that was the most listless crowd I’ve ever seen. The biggest roar was at halftime when Red Panda finished her unicycle balancing, bowl juggling routine. She is simply amazing.
I wish my grandson could witness what used to be a regular occurrence. A roaring home crowd that wills the team to an upset victory. I fear those wonderful days are behind us.
What Memorial has become is just sad.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Turns out, for all of CKS' faults, he could flat out coach. The poop show surrounding his tenure at Pitt boggles my mind. He's an a-hole, but a guy that cares about the people around him. It was time for him to go, but I do miss him.

As for Stack......I just don't know. He crapped the bed on recruiting the first two years. And he knows it. He did something about it. If he can put two more classes together like this one he just signed, he may look a lot smarter. I've said it before. I think we need to be recruiting to Vanderbilt, not selling NBA dreams. We need more shooters and an offense that generates looks. We don't have the horses to roll the ball out there and say go. I do love the fact that defense is something we actually care about.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

buffy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:20 am
As for Stack......I just don't know. He crapped the bed on recruiting the first two years. And he knows it. He did something about it. If he can put two more classes together like this one he just signed, he may look a lot smarter. I've said it before. I think we need to be recruiting to Vanderbilt, not selling NBA dreams. We need more shooters and an offense that generates looks. We don't have the horses to roll the ball out there and say go. I do love the fact that defense is something we actually care about.
I said the same thing previously. You need 5 stars to win with Stack's pro style offense in college. We're not signing all 5 stars anytime soon. After three years of watching better-coached SEC teams beat us, one would hope Stack has realized our offense is not working. As to what you said about recruiting to VU and not the NBA, Stack hasn't figured that out yet, either.

We need a real college basketball coach.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

i like the way we play D generally, so there is that. And frankly, had our injured two transfers not been injured, the year and last night would have played out differently. Not saying we were gonna beat UK or make the NCAA's but it would have been significantly better.
I have a bit more confidence, hope really, that Stackhouse can make it work here. He seems like the type that hates to lose and really hates to look bad. Nevertheless, we are still aways away and likely have a season and a half of this before it gets better.
Drew really set us back and it took time for Stack to get the lay of the college landscape. The reality of it is, its gonna take time--and its gonna take even more time if we bring in a new staff.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

dore74 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:31 am i like the way we play D generally, so there is that. And frankly, had our injured two transfers not been injured, the year and last night would have played out differently. Not saying we were gonna beat UK or make the NCAA's but it would have been significantly better.
I have a bit more confidence, hope really, that Stackhouse can make it work here. He seems like the type that hates to lose and really hates to look bad. Nevertheless, we are still aways away and likely have a season and a half of this before it gets better.
Drew really set us back and it took time for Stack to get the lay of the college landscape. The reality of it is, its gonna take time--and its gonna take even more time if we bring in a new staff.
I love listening to Stack's immediate analysis when interviewed on the radio right after the game. It is clear he knows exactly what our problems are, knows what needs to be done, and fortunately does not throw anyone under the bus. He was exasperated and very unhappy with last night's performance. I suspect practice will be very hard the next couple of days. He knows he is responsible for improvement - he accepts the responsibility. Stack was more upset than any of us with last night, and it is going to take time to get things right as most of you have explained. I like Stack more than Stallings and I expect he will will do more than Stallings, but then I fear he will leave and go where it is much easier to get the talent or simply go to the pros where the talent is.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:42 am
dore74 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:31 am i like the way we play D generally, so there is that. And frankly, had our injured two transfers not been injured, the year and last night would have played out differently. Not saying we were gonna beat UK or make the NCAA's but it would have been significantly better.
I love listening to Stack's immediate analysis when interviewed on the radio right after the game. It is clear he knows exactly what our problems are, knows what needs to be done, and fortunately does not throw anyone under the bus. He was exasperated and very unhappy with last night's performance. I suspect practice will be very hard the next couple of days. He knows he is responsible for improvement - he accepts the responsibility. Stack was more upset than any of us with last night, and it is going to take time to get things right as most of you have explained. I like Stack more than Stallings and I expect he will will do more than Stallings, but then I fear he will leave and go where it is much easier to get the talent or simply go to the pros where the talent is.
I don' know that this is an issue of the players not playing hard or not trying - we just doesn't have enough talent or depth inside at the moment. The only player who could really help up in the moment has a look like Tarzan play like Jane thing going for him which is forcing us to rely upon minutes from a 6'-6" player at the center spot against a player like Tshiebwe. I don't know that having a hard practice fixes anything that ails use at the moment.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

We aren't going to beat Kentucky without more size- i.e. we needed Robbins. Chatman would have been a big help, as was noted above, but we simply need more size down low.

I was at the game and it was hard to get excited about cheering when all you could hear was GO BIG BLUE.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

I disagree with this “it’s gonna take more time if we bring in a new staff.” This is basketball, not football. One or two great players can completely change your team and bring you immediate success. Look at Alabama. They were crappy in basketball for years and they bring in Nate Oats, a quality coach, and he got a couple of good players, and they’re a top 25 team now in Oats’ second year coaching. It doesn’t take a long time to turn things around in college basketball. Stackhouse has had enough time to do it and he hasn’t.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The program needed to be totally rebuilt after CBD. Unfortunately, we didn't hire a program builder.

I'm not saying Stack won't get there, but that's not who we hired.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

The Curse of Running Off Stallings strikes again.

And i agree with another poster, we need a college coach. Not the nba coach we were gifted by a certain short term former AD who liked living lavishly off our school.
Locked Previous topicNext topic