When turnovers don't occur

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: When turnovers don't occur

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm [quote=Nashmann post_id=164947 time=1642091266 user_id=108

Dia is 6'7" ....so we are depending on 3 Freshman two who are actually PF's to cover the 5....hmmmm
We currently have no centers able to play, but we do have 2 PG, 3 Forwards and 8 SG/Wings. I'm no Red Auerbach (!), but that is piss poor roster construction. Even VBK was better at it.
[/quote]

VBK did an amazing job taking Austin Bates who at maybe 6-7 (was actually the QB in football at Waverly) and turning him into a legit SEC post player. VBK was a good player development guy, but dropped the ball in recruiting significantly several times. And I'm not anti-VBK at all. And Vince Ford? He average a point a game his second season and averaged 10ppg by the time he was a senior. Langhi went from 4ppg to 18ppg under VBK.

geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:16 am
I'd say maybe as well - QMB has been good - he is as good as anybody in letting the game come to him and not forcing things. Unfortunately, there he does this almost to the point of being too passive - his shooting rates are fantastic, but his shot percentage is so low, and those shots are being taken by other players who are not as successful. QMB is almost afraid of making a mistake, and therefore only takes shots where he has a very high chance of making, and that is why his FG% is so good. But being one of 5 players on the court, we would want him to be taking closer to 20% of the shots when he is on the floor. He is only taking 10% of the shots when he is on the floor, and in SEC play that number has dropped to 7%. QMB is a rare player who one could say needs to be more selfish, or at least be more aggressive about looking for his shots. There is no reason why Trey Thomas should have taken just 1 fewer 2 point shot than QMB. Thomas is 5-30 (17%) inside the arc in his career against the SEC. QMB is 18-24 (75%). This shot distribution makes zero sense.
QMB is without doubt a unique player and you described his game well. Seems to me 80% of the time he touches the ball it is up high, not down low. When he rolls off the pick, he seldom receives a pass. Is this by design? Does he have the dreaded "hands of stone"? Do the other players not have confidence in him to finish? Does he not position himself well to receive a pass? If he were to shoot more, even if he misses more, it would open it up more for our outside shooters. Has he EVER been double-teamed down low in an SEC game?
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

commadore wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:37 pm
Doreknox wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm [quote=Nashmann post_id=164947 time=1642091266 user_id=108

Dia is 6'7" ....so we are depending on 3 Freshman two who are actually PF's to cover the 5....hmmmm
We currently have no centers able to play, but we do have 2 PG, 3 Forwards and 8 SG/Wings. I'm no Red Auerbach (!), but that is piss poor roster construction. Even VBK was better at it.
We seemed to do ok in the '73-74 year with a 6'7" point guard playing center.
[/quote]

That 6'7 pg who played center had an 8 year career in the ABA/NBA. None of our guys currently playing the 5 will be in the league.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 am

That 6'7 pg who played center had an 8 year career in the ABA/NBA. None of our guys currently playing the 5 will be in the league.
[/quote]

Actually Robbins might be, but technically until he plays on West End, he isn't "playing" on West End.

Dort seems like a good bet (barring injuries) to play in the association.

We won the SEC with VBK playing post and he was named league MVP that year. My favorite VBK plays that year? Blocking the shots of Ole Miss 7-foot center Fred Cox.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm
Doreknox wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 am

Actually Robbins might be, but technically until he plays on West End, he isn't "playing" on West End.

Dort seems like a good bet (barring injuries) to play in the association.

We won the SEC with VBK playing post and he was named league MVP that year. My favorite VBK plays that year? Blocking the shots of Ole Miss 7-foot center Fred Cox.
[/quote]

In other words, you are correct that this team does not currently have a player currently playing who will be a 8 year player in the NBA. Whatever we have for next year, it is clear that this year's roster's makeup is sub-optimal.
Locked Previous topicNext topic