Vandy-USC thread

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Vandy-USC thread

Post by Nashmann »

Pippen is a good player. Our offense pretty much pass the ball around a bit then let Pippen freelance!! He hurts us as much as he helps us. 7...yes count em 7 turnovers. Then the last play if you can call it one, let Scotty drive the length of the court into traffic, and then he throws it away with NO shot ever taken. Pitiful. Yes, Stack SHOULD take the damn blame if that is the best he can do....

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:54 pm
roanoke wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:51 pm This is the kind of SEC basketball that I hate. SC is very physical. They foul every time down. Often they foul hard. I think intending to rattle us.

And we are not deep enough or tough enough down low to deal with this. It would help a lot to have Robbins.
Mann was tough and physical in the 1st half. Very scrappy, though outsized.
Just to be clear, this was not meant to be critical of Mann or Milora-Brown who both played well. Mann is a very pleasant surprise - he is tough and productive. But he is very much outsized as a 5. Milora-Brown did a lot of good things yesterday. He, ironically, got in early foul trouble.

But SC's tactic is a bit of a problem for us - and we will need to figure it out at least until we get Robbins. They brought in a rotation of bouncers who were hammering people inside. It led not just to a rebounding edge, but to our missing a lot of close in shots reacting to contact. The fouls - the same way the Detroit Pistons wrecked basketball in the old days - were intentionally hard. I mean, real slugs to the shoulder and arm. They got their money's worth - and the refs did very little about it. Chatman, I think, got hurt on one of them. But we lost confidence because we were missing inside and getting hit if we went inside. It is easy to criticize the turnovers - and many of them were sloppy - but a lot of them involved contact that would be called in a normal game. SC kind of bullied the refs into letting the contact short of a mugging go.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Refs can’t see all the fouls. And if they called all the fouls they saw the game would last 3 hours.

If they called one or two of the six or seven SC flops, that may have helped.

Still, the ‘Dores attempted twice as many free throws as did SC, so I can’t blame this loss on the officials.

The more telling stat, IMHO, is not simply turnovers (SC committed 22; VU committed 19) … but POINTS OFF TURNOVERS which shows how those turnovers paid off.

POT
SC 24
VU 18

Also, SC scored 10 Second-Chance Points on 7 Offensive Rebounds.
Vanderbilt scored only 7 SCP on 9 Offensive Rebounds.
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm
SCSA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:38 pm We fired Drew to get this kind of game coaching????
Drew was fired after a 19 game losing streak. Worst losing streak in program history. Worst SEC record in school history. Worst league record in 70 years for any school. And back to back 20 loss seasons.

Should I keep going or is that enough to set the record straight?
Drew was still running his offense through Garland a month after Garland was gone. By which I mean, he made no adjustments whatsoever.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VandyPhile wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:52 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm
SCSA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:38 pm We fired Drew to get this kind of game coaching????
Drew was fired after a 19 game losing streak. Worst losing streak in program history. Worst SEC record in school history. Worst league record in 70 years for any school. And back to back 20 loss seasons.

Should I keep going or is that enough to set the record straight?
Drew was still running his offense through Garland a month after Garland was gone. By which I mean, he made no adjustments whatsoever.
And lost to Arky AT HOME by almost 40.**

**Arky was unranked and below .500 in the SEC
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Tonight Stackhouse is 2-0 this season in SEC road games.

Number of SEC road wins for Drew his last TWO seasons combined: ONE
Locked Previous topicNext topic