Vandy-USC thread

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

admin
Site Admin

Re: Vandy-USC thread

Post by admin »

Over now. :(

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

We did not play nearly well enough to win this one - we have no margin: miss free throws, cold from outside and let the opponent make 54% is a recipe for loss every time.End it with a final tunover - too bad.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Pippen a turnover. machine!! WTF was that Scotty???
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

Our best 2 players cannot have 11 turnovers (Pippen 7, Wright 4). We lost that game for 1 reason, we are sloppy with the ball. It wasn't excellent SC defense, it was bad ball handling, over dribbling, leaving our feet to pass, stupid spin moves, etc
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I hate to call out players, but Scotty Pippen lost this game for us. He was nothing short of horrible. Turnovers, bad passes, missed shots, and whatever the hell that last play was. If he thinks he will go pro this year, he had better step up his game, because today simply stunk.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

There wasn't time to dribble up the floor.

Very poor coaching at the critical time. No apparent plan.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

junior’s street ball is hurting his team and coach tolerates it…nothing new.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

Way to scrap back from being down 11, but in the end, too many turnovers and missed FTs. I don't mind the last play call, though I am quite sure a last second dish was never a part of the set play. Pippen drives and either ties it or draws the foul.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Was in the gym. Looked to me from the stands based on the communication after the final turnover/pass attempt/no shot that Pippen was expecting Mann to be there for a lob. Could be mistaken. Still. Really should have just taken a shot.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

roanoke wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:51 pm This is the kind of SEC basketball that I hate. SC is very physical. They foul every time down. Often they foul hard. I think intending to rattle us.

And we are not deep enough or tough enough down low to deal with this. It would help a lot to have Robbins.
Mann was tough and physical in the 1st half. Very scrappy, though outsized.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I just got back from the game.

I cannot believe... I simply cannot believe... that we had 6 seconds and we didn't even get a shot off.

That honestly reminded me of something that my (not very good) Grassland little league team would have done... and they were in the 4th and 5th grades.
vandybl
Commander

Post by vandybl »

We also just got back from the game. Our seats are behind the Vandy bench. On the last drive, Pippen had elevated and had two USC players on his hip, and I think he had room to get the shot off. As noted above, he may have been looking to lob to someone. Regardless, he chose not to shoot, and when he passed back, no one was there. All the VU fans around us could not understand the decision. Oh well. A win-able game that got away. Go Vandy!
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

We fired Drew to get this kind of game coaching????
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

To me, the critical part of the game was the last 4 minutes of the first half; went from up 6 to down 2.
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

SCSA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:38 pm We fired Drew to get this kind of game coaching????
Oh, please. The defensive stretch when Stack put on the full court press got them back in the game. And the man took the blame for the loss in the postgame interview by saying he could have made a better play call. Drew would have still blamed this loss on player injuries. Stack’s teams have also consistently improved from start to finish of their respective seasons. Don’t even need to rehash Drew’s second and third teams that didn’t have the benefit of xCKS’s upperclassmen. Stackhouse was also finally able to overcome the recruiting hole that Drew left us in this season. Gimme/us a break with this weak refrain and stop bringing up Bryce Drew, for the love of all that is holy!
SCSA
Captain

Post by SCSA »

He had two time outs to come up with a play that 80% of his team didn’t know about. He also needs to teach his players how to shoot freebies. That’s what lost my he game
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

SCSA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:16 pm He had two time outs to come up with a play that 80% of his team didn’t know about. He also needs to teach his players how to shoot freebies. That’s what lost my he game
It was not a good end of game play call. That is true.

But we missed probably 8 shots point blank at the rim this game. And we turned the ball over 20 times. I'd say that was the problem. We shot 72% from the free throw line, just missed a couple crucial ones. I feel terrible for Stute who missed his only one of the day to tie up the game. He played very very well today on both ends.

I don't think you can mention Drew and Stack in the same sentence. Stack is a way better coach. He has this team playing better defense than I have seen in 2 decades.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

in spite of everything else, we win if we hit even half the missed bunnies.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

SCSA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:38 pm We fired Drew to get this kind of game coaching????
Drew was fired after a 19 game losing streak. Worst losing streak in program history. Worst SEC record in school history. Worst league record in 70 years for any school. And back to back 20 loss seasons.

Should I keep going or is that enough to set the record straight?
Last edited by MrMemorial on Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
historybill
Admiral

Post by historybill »

I sat very near the Carolina bench, and here's an observation:

Frank Martin yells at the refs a LOT. He probably engaged one ref or the other 40 times during the course of the game.

Coach Stack doesn't talk to the refs, at least not very much.

There's a reason why basketball coaches talk to refs a lot. Although there were questionable calls on both sides (there always are in a basketball game), most of the really big ones down the stretch went for the road team.
Locked Previous topicNext topic