is there….

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

docdore
Vice Admiral

is there….

Post by docdore »

a whinier more obnoxiously annoying and unlikable sec coach than eric musselman? he makes pearl look sorta almost barely tolerable.

vutrain
Commander

Re: is there….

Post by vutrain »

Amen
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Musselman is a punk greaser flaming d-bag who tires to bully the refs every time his team plays bad. Wasn't he tossed from a game his team lost by 22 not long ago? A former VM writer/poster actually quit pulling for Vandy after 50 years of being a fan because VU didn't hire Musselman. Well, Musselman is a jagg-off and so are you!!!
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

He should have gotten T'd up 3 times today not 1.
VANquish
Seaman Recruit

Post by VANquish »

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He is the son of the late Coach Bill Musselman, who was renowned for high volume rants at his players, which he believed would result in maximum effort on the court. He promoted physical basketball, which many observers felt was meant to intimidate the other team. Bill's famous quote was "Defeat is worse than death because you have to live with defeat."

Not surprisingly, Coach Bill Musselman was the head coach at MN in 1972 when the famous college basketball brawl broke out against OSU. Sports Illustrated covered that in depth later, but here is grainy footage of that incident:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.efootage.com/videos/66290/m ... ball-brawl[/BBvideo]
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Vandy187187 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:09 pm He should have gotten T'd up 3 times today not 1.
Not to be too picky but I think 2 T's = ejected. I suppose he could have pulled a "Pete Bell" and got another as he was leaving the floor, maybe kicking the ball in stands or something! LOL!

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:56 pm Musselman is a punk greaser flaming d-bag who tires to bully the refs every time his team plays bad. Wasn't he tossed from a game his team lost by 22 not long ago? A former VM writer/poster actually quit pulling for Vandy after 50 years of being a fan because VU didn't hire Musselman. Well, Musselman is a jagg-off and so are you!!!
C'mon Memorial, tell us how you really feel ! :lol: :lol:
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

VANquish wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:48 am The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. He is the son of the late Coach Bill Musselman, who was renowned for high volume rants at his players, which he believed would result in maximum effort on the court. He promoted physical basketball, which many observers felt was meant to intimidate the other team. Bill's famous quote was "Defeat is worse than death because you have to live with defeat."

Not surprisingly, Coach Bill Musselman was the head coach at MN in 1972 when the famous college basketball brawl broke out against OSU. Sports Illustrated covered that in depth later, but here is grainy footage of that incident:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.efootage.com/videos/66290/m ... ball-brawl[/BBvideo]
]=
]=]=]=

baseball hall-of-famer dave winfield was one of the gopher perps iirc.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

docdore wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:17 pm a whinier more obnoxiously annoying and unlikable sec coach than eric musselman? he makes pearl look sorta almost barely tolerable.
I don't disaagree with that. He looks like a little, rabid rat on the sidelines. Still, my least favorite coach in the SEC -- because he's the current holder of the "Cheater, Cheater, How Can He Still Be Coaching Award?" -- is Will Wade.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

OldDude wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:27 am
MrMemorial wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:56 pm Musselman is a punk greaser flaming d-bag who tires to bully the refs every time his team plays bad. Wasn't he tossed from a game his team lost by 22 not long ago? A former VM writer/poster actually quit pulling for Vandy after 50 years of being a fan because VU didn't hire Musselman. Well, Musselman is a jagg-off and so are you!!!
C'mon Memorial, tell us how you really feel ! :lol: :lol:
I know he still lurks even if he refuses to post, so I'm glad he saw the comment about him and his hero.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:59 pm Musselman is a punk greaser flaming d-bag who tires to bully the refs every time his team plays bad. Wasn't he tossed from a game his team lost by 22 not long ago? A former VM writer/poster actually quit pulling for Vandy after 50 years of being a fan because VU didn't hire Musselman. Well, Musselman is a jagg-off and so are you!!!
All feelings aside, Mussleman had a .764 college winning percentage when we interviewed him. To be honest, I am curious as to why we did not hire him.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:22 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:59 pm Musselman is a punk greaser flaming d-bag who tires to bully the refs every time his team plays bad. Wasn't he tossed from a game his team lost by 22 not long ago? A former VM writer/poster actually quit pulling for Vandy after 50 years of being a fan because VU didn't hire Musselman. Well, Musselman is a jagg-off and so are you!!!
All feelings aside, Mussleman had a .764 college winning percentage when we interviewed him. To be honest, I am curious as to why we did not hire him.
possibly because he's like he is....as suggested in this thread's op?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

docdore wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:38 pm
Doreknox wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:22 pm
possibly because he's like he is....as suggested in this thread's op?
Let's see who some of his losses were to...

Hawaii (name sounds familiar?)
Cal-Fullerton (great in baseball, basketball - not so much)
Fresno State multiple times (good QB school for football; basketball, meh)
Morehead State (yes, the one from the OVC)

If somebody loves Musselman so much they should switch to being an Arky fan. It's that simple. Plus they get a year's supply of hair grease with a purchase of Razorback season tickets.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:43 pm
If somebody loves Musselman so much they should switch to being an Arky fan. It's that simple. Plus they get a year's supply of hair grease with a purchase of Razorback season tickets.
Yes, it's a real good thing we passed on hiring Musselman. Who really wants to be in the Elite Eight?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Doreknox wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:31 pm
Yes, it's a real good thing we passed on hiring Musselman. Who really wants to be in the Elite Eight?
Understand the sentiment, but the Arkansas program is on different footing and a pretty big step above VU historically. Definitely an easier place to win. And I would have a hard time bringing myself to be a fan of the guy. He is obnoxious.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:21 pm
Understand the sentiment, but the Arkansas program is on different footing and a pretty big step above VU historically. Definitely an easier place to win. And I would have a hard time bringing myself to be a fan of the guy. He is obnoxious.
He's changing his screen name to RazorbackKnox aka Mrs. Musselman
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:28 pm
He's changing his screen name to RazorbackKnox aka Mrs. Musselman
Triggered.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Doreknox wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:31 pm
Yes and no - historically, say from early 90's going backwards, they had more success than us and have a much larger fan base, but up until the last two years, from 1997 to 2020, they had 10 tournament appearances to our 9, and zero sweet 16's to our 2. No SEC titles during this period, and when you look at the period prior to the CBD era, probably a similar SEC record as well.

It is an easier place to win, but not the gulf that those of us who remember the 40 minutes of hell might think. It is objectively true that Mussleman has done much better than any of his predecessors following Nolan Richardson even if he wouldn't have been a good fit at Vanderbilt (I'm not arguing that is the case, nor arguing that I'd replace CJS with him - we ended up in a good place). Ark is playing defense in a way that they haven't played in at least 25 years. I don't like either guy, but what Mussleman is doing is as impressive as what Pearl did at UT.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Did Musselman ever shake the Gonzaga coach's hand after the game, and the Gonzaga players? Entirely possible that I missed it, or TV didn't show it, but I only saw him running around the court celebrating.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

FayetteDore wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:02 pm Did Musselman ever shake the Gonzaga coach's hand after the game, and the Gonzaga players? Entirely possible that I missed it, or TV didn't show it, but I only saw him running around the court celebrating.
his post-game behavior was reminiscent of jim valvano's AFTER HIS TEAM HAD WON A NATTY in '83. it's no surprise that musselman showed no cool, no swag, no polish, no respect for the defeated opponent. i'll be pulling for duke on sat.
Locked Previous topicNext topic