SMU Game Thoughts

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: SMU Game Thoughts

Post by MrMemorial »

The recruits Fogler took to SoCar that he was recruiting for VU?

Formanek career stats
1.4 ppg / 1.5 rebounds per game / 0.2 assists per game / FT% 48 / 3 pt % 14

Van Elswyk (2 years at SoCar before leaving)
5.0 ppg / 0.7 assists per game / 3.6 rebounds per game / FT% 53 / .02 blocks per game (was 6-foot-9)

Well, nobody bothered to call him "poach" when he took his VU recruits to South Carolina, did they?

Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:39 am The recruits Fogler took to SoCar that he was recruiting for VU?

Formanek career stats
1.4 ppg / 1.5 rebounds per game / 0.2 assists per game / FT% 48 / 3 pt % 14

Van Elswyk (2 years at SoCar before leaving)
5.0 ppg / 0.7 assists per game / 3.6 rebounds per game / FT% 53 / .02 blocks per game (was 6-foot-9)
Fogler left behind Ronnie Mac, Billy McCaffrey, Chris Lawson and Frank Seckar. He gave us far more than he took away.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:36 pm As long as the same people with the same agenda refuse to give the current coach a chance to fix what the predecessor left behind for him to fix, I will point out whatever seems like what they need to wake up and know. Just as you can be their self-appointed apologist if you want. This America. No law against it.

Unless you are a mod, don't tell me what to post and not post. Thank you in advance.
Where did I do that? And what are you talking about? I see noone here with an agenda half as large as a former poster who was trying to run off a previous coach.

Why would I have to apologize for enjoying tournament appearances, sweet 16's or SEC championships? All of which are a very long way off at this particular moment. Your POV is very odd, don't get mad because I point that out. We got rid of CKS because what he did wasn't satisfactory and it was time to move on, and what we've gotten since has objectively been much worse. Yes CJS has shown signs that he can turn it around and deserves a chance to do so, but those facts are not in question. Your pointing out well established weaknesses of both CEF and CKS do nothing to help CJS, who will succeed or fail on his own merits. You can do it because you are free to do so, but it makes it seem like you don't have any positive arguments for CJS while simultaneously crapping on the very program you purportedly are a fan of.
Vandy84
Ensign

Post by Vandy84 »

[quote=buffy post_id=162404 time=1638716961 user_id=172]
And I was also at the game. Higher up, looking down. I'll go more into some other details.

Buffy,

Were you in Section 215 with the smattering of VU fans?
I got tickets through the local VU club and was in that section.
Surprised at how high the seats were with such a small crowd.
I have been to concerts and prior Vanderbilt basketball games at Moody, but this was my first time there since the remodel.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:42 pm
Ronnie Mac, Billy McCaffrey, Chris Lawson and Frank Seckar.
Billy and Chris were VU recruits out of h.s. of CM Newton. Bruce Elder as well.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

McCaffrey came from Duke (actually played on a national championship team at Duke); Lawson played for Bobby Knight at Indiana; and Elder was from Davidson, I believe. All were great Commodores. McCaffrey in 1993 might have had the best year of any Vanderbilt basketball player I've ever followed.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

As high school players, all three were recruited by CM Newton at Vanderbilt. This is a fact.

Just like Ke'Shawn Vaughn was recruited by VU, signed with Illinois, transferred to VU eventually.
https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... edictions/

So... he was originally recruited out of h.s. by Charles Bankins at Vandy.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:25 pm
So what? Eddie was able to get them on campus while CM couldn't.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

McCaffrey was, of course, an excellent shooter. I think he had the quickest release coming off a screen I have seen…as well as being on target.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:17 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:25 pm
So what? Eddie was able to get them on campus while CM couldn't.
But Fogler's ability to get good h.s. players here was drying up. He knew and bolted. When the plane landed from South Carolina on the night of March 6th of 1993 (the last regular season game he coached at VU) he was not on the plane, he stayed behind in South Carolina to "talk." He had gotten to the point of signing guys like the scantly recruited Chad Sheron (1.7ppg at VU) and waiting for Bryan Milburn to decide between an offer to walk-on at Kentucky or to take a schollie at VU. (3.6ppg at VU) If CEF had decided he couldn't recruit top SEC talent here (other than well-timed good fortune with some transfers), we can't be too mad that he left.

His last 3 seasons at SC were 3-13 / 5-11 / 6-10. For some reason the shine was off his apple there too after a certain length of time.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

The one thing no one can take away from Fogler (other than 92-93) is the impact he made on Pitt's MBB team.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Vandy84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:42 pm Buffy, Were you in Section 215 with the smattering of VU fans?
I was in Section 212 mid way up. I hated the result, but was happy to be there.
Locked Previous topicNext topic