Got to love...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jpmando
Commander

Re: Got to love...

Post by jpmando »

Virtually everyone commenting on this board is a die-hard lifelong VU fan, many of us for 50 years or more.
No fair weather fans here. Past comments by the current coach told me a lot about him, in lots of ways.

Long-time fans remember Memorial Magic, the electricity in the air. We recall that every time we came to that facility,
there was a great chance for Vandy to win. The roar was deafening when things got close, or Vandy made a comeback. One of my greatest memories. What a shame that it is gone.

And yes we are in desperate need of a solid college basketball coach.

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:27 pm Teams Stallings lost to includes:

Monmouth
Tulane
Furman
Appy State
Siena
UIC
Murray
Richmond
Cleveland State
Indiana State
Davidson
Marist
MTSU
St.Louis
Rutgers

I'm not so certain about old Kevin. He often managed to do less with more. People forget that.
You named 15 teams over a 17 year tenure, and had to include tournament teams to get to that level. It may have seemed bad at the time, but it was basketball heaven compared to the last 5 seasons.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

To be fair, VBK did lose once to Evansville and as mentioned in another thread, Fogler blown out at home by Tennessee Tech. I actually ran into that undersized forward Mitch Cupples (sp?) from TnTech that next summer at Hickory Hollow Mall back when it was a thing, the 6-4 kid who looked more like a linebacker but dominated us on the boards. Maybe I read it wrong, but I think he was still surprised at winning like that in Memorial. Not Fogler's finest moment.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:03 am

Not trying to take you out of context, but removed some bits of your post to focus on my point:

There’s an inherent contradiction in the idea that you don’t know the players on the team due to many departures from the team, yet you admit to not following the team any more due in part to lack of wins to keep things interesting. You can’t hope to know the players and see their development if you aren’t watching the games. I’ve enjoyed seeing Jordan Wright and QMB develop. Stute, too, has made great progress from last year.

I don’t know. Just my two cents. It just seems like somewhat of a paradox to claim apathy for the program as a fan due to player continuity and lack of wins when fan support may, in fact, help with player continuity and generation of wins.
I’ll also add, at the risk of stirring the pot, that this is exactly what Stackhouse was upset about in that presser that was brought up. Fair weather fans. It’s likewise difficult to expect a coach not to bolt at the first sign of success if he has an opportunity to move to a program with more support. I understand that he’s paid to do the job of winning, recruitment, player retention, etc. All I’m saying is, fan support goes a long way for the coaches and players.
Yea that is a fair point... up to a point. My waning interest absolutely has resulted in my being less likely to know our players. But on the otherhand however, it definitely feels like there is more turnover of late. Especially as my interest really started waning. After Drew's second year we saw a huge makeover as we had a lot of seniors leave. And since then there have been a number of guys who were only here a year or two. Garland, Shittu, Wetzel, Ryan, Nesmith, Disu, Harvey, and probably a couple other guys from last years team I barely heard of. ​We're lucky the NBA didn't think too highly of Pippen or else he'd be another. I get that it's the changing landscape of college basketball. But it does cause me to be even less interested.

As far as Stack, I thought his comments were a little more inflammatory than you suggest and not what you would expect from a head coach. But that was already hashed out on these boards awhile ago. I've never warmed back up to him after that.

One thing I didn't mention but thought about afterwards was our 3 point streak. Even in down years where we didn't play well, that 3 point streak always kept me a little more interested that I would have been otherwise. Would always check box scores, text with buddies if we hadn't hit a three by halftime, etc... But now without that, if we're having a down year and I'm not watching the game, I don't feel quite the same pull to check how we're doing and what's going on. And just one more thing about Stack that irked me. But again don't need to re-hash that one either.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

CoachH wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:05 pm Vanderbilt does very little to try to grow its fan base. They don’t even supply its fans with a radio affiliate that can be heard outside the Immediate Nashville area. Fans without computers or those who are traveling and trying to tune in on their car radio cannot hear the broadcast of Vanderbilt athletics at all. Football and basketball broadcast are all but impossible to listen to for those who live outside metro and The Vanderbilt baseball games can’t be heard at all. How can you expect Vanderbilt athletics fan base to grow when you can’t follow their teams?
The radio play by play announcer that replace Joe Fischer is atrocious. His unenthusiastic, boring play by play is some of the worst I have ever heard!
Cmon AD Vanderbilt fans deserve much better
https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/fo ... 78225.html
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:02 pm To be fair, VBK did lose once to Evansville and as mentioned in another thread, Fogler blown out at home by Tennessee Tech.
Using your reasoning, Dean Smith and Roy Williams were not good coaches. Smith lost to Penn and Princeton. Roy lost to Wofford and Belmont. If UNC teams can be upset, Vand'y's teams will suffer a few.
Last edited by Doreknox on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

And Florida loses to an 0-7 Texas Southern last night.
BooMax
Lieutenant

Post by BooMax »

hard Getting excited over beating nobodies..... and then losing to most every good team (bad non existing SEC level recruiting + suspect coaching) breeds lackluster support. Vandy MBB isnt much fun anymore since we dont beat anyone of great ranking at home anymore. I should say more but about Vandy issues the last few years but will hold those thoughts for other time
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

BooMax wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm hard Getting excited over beating nobodies..... and then losing to most every good team (bad non existing SEC level recruiting + suspect coaching) breeds lackluster support. Vandy MBB isnt much fun anymore since we dont beat anyone of great ranking at home anymore. I should say more but about Vandy issues the last few years but will hold those thoughts for other time
Bad recruiting, huh? So, the currently #23 nationally ranked/#5 SEC ranked recruiting class isn’t doing it for you?
It’s funny how you only show up to complain about something. I’d say you have the most apt name of any poster on the board.

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... l/Commits/
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:34 pm
Bad recruiting, huh? So, the currently #23 nationally ranked/#5 SEC ranked recruiting class isn’t doing it for you?

https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... l/Commits/
I agree, Ultimate, that we have a great recruiting class coming in. The problem is it's not ranked high enough to play streetball and win like Kentucky does.
DS2001
Rear Admiral

Post by DS2001 »

I went to the Belmont-Lipscomb game last week and I'm just about ready to invest in Belmont Season tickets next year. Now granted, it was the "Battle of the Boulevard' and was hyped up, but the atmosphere reminded me of Memorial in the older days. It wasn't filled up, but there were around 4,000 in attendance at the Curb Events Center. I'm reminded that a smaller venue makes for a more exciting atmosphere. Vandy should just put curtains on all of the 3rd level sections and move everyone down to create a more intimate experience. (But they'll never consider doing that).
As far as the quality of basketball, Belmont makes up for lack of "length" with pure smart play. There is no one on one clear out play associated with their style of play. It is all structured, calculated play calling except on breakaways. I think I counted 6 "back door' plays that Belmont executed. They have excellent shooters on the perimeter.
Belmont is wise to be joining the Missouri Valley Conference. they have a chance to become a high quality Mid Major basketball program. I'm beginning to believe their upside is greater than Vanderbilt's in the coming years.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Didn't Belmont get beat like a rented mule by 1-on-one NBA style LSU recently? The score was 80-40 at one point. Not to mention their fellow mid-major Ohio (without Jason Preston who went pro early and Dwight Wilson who is still out with an ACL) beat them pretty good too.

Enjoy your Belmont tickets. That game against Bethel College next week should be thrilling. Buh-bye!!
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

commadore wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:18 am
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:49 am If I lived in Nashville I would be at every game - by the way SC lost on the road to a very mediocre Coastal Carolina last night in Conway: we can beat SC this year.
I think Ole Miss and Georgia are suspect at well.
I, too, am 300 miles away and would be at every game if at home. Will go to the Auburn game if I can get tickets. They have been hard to come by since slick became coach.
We cannot even beat a Temple team without their leading scorer!!!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

cjdore wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:59 am
commadore wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:18 am
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:49 am If I lived in Nashville I would be at every game - by the way SC lost on the road to a very mediocre Coastal Carolina last night in Conway: we can beat SC this year.
I think Ole Miss and Georgia are suspect at well.
I, too, am 300 miles away and would be at every game if at home. Will go to the Auburn game if I can get tickets. They have been hard to come by since slick became coach.
True dat.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

When Stack was hired, we were told he was a great coach because he won the 2016-17 Coach of the Year Award and his team won the G-League Championship. Where did all that coaching ability go?

Today I looked at the roster of Stack's championship Raptors-9 team. Pascal Siakam and Fred Van Fleet started for him. No offense intended, but I am pretty sure I could coach those two to a G-League championship. It's likely we were all sold a bill of goods by Malcolm Turner.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

I got reamed out the other day for saying we looked great against bad teams. Was called a fair weather fan as well.

Our team is who we are, we play hard. When we hit 3's we can win. We play pretty decent D overall. But our offensive strategy is lacking. Our ball movement is lacking. Out cutting and movement without the ball is lacking. Our size is lacking. Our athleticism is lacking.

Outside of that we aren't half bad.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

cjdore wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:59 am
And I suppose for the rest of the season when Temple loses a game it will be due to its leading scorer being out (see Darius Garland). At some point, the excuses have to stop. I know Vanderbilt doesn't have any. We can't cite missing Robbins or Chatman because nobody knows how good they will be. And again, we don't need to make excuses.
Versus75
Admiral

Re: Got to love the extreme enthusiasm ...

Post by Versus75 »

Here's how you can show your support. I can't get to the game because I live 3 hours away and am dog sitting for the weekend. Pooch cannot hold it long enough for me to get to Nashville, watch the game, and return.

I've donated tickets to the groups sponsored by Vanderbilt. I gave away a couple tickets. And then I sold ONE of my two tickets to the Temple game. You can buy two tickets on the cheap to watch Vanderbilt start a new winning streak Friday night.

Look for the separate post.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

Jason94 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:51 am
MrMemorial wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:27 pm Teams Stallings lost to includes:

Monmouth
Tulane
Furman
Appy State
Siena
UIC
Murray
Richmond
Cleveland State
Indiana State
Davidson
Marist
MTSU
St.Louis
Rutgers

I'm not so certain about old Kevin. He often managed to do less with more. People forget that.
You named 15 teams over a 17 year tenure, and had to include tournament teams to get to that level. It may have seemed bad at the time, but it was basketball heaven compared to the last 5 seasons.
I couldn't have stated it any better than Jason94. Wow, is that the best that can be come up with against Stallings????? In 17 years? I'LL TAKE IT!

Bryce Drew was a DISASTER. Stackhouse is WAYYYYY out of his league. The ghost of Fire Stallings continues to haunt us.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Funny, without having seen this thread, I was reminiscing with a friend yesterday about how there was a time when a VU basketball ticket was the hottest ticket in town. Unless you were a season ticket holder or a student, you were mostly S.O.L. if you wanted to go to a game, especially a conference game.

Also Commodore, regarding your original post: I'm in the middle of Season 8 of Seinfeld (the penultimate season) on Netflix. I rarely watched it when it was originally on. It's like a time capsule of the 90s: Elaine's hair styles, the move from wired landline telephones to the old big-handset, long-antenna wireless ones. Surely cellphones will show up in Season 9.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic