SPJ named pre-season SEC Player of the Year; VU picked to finish 13th

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

SPJ named pre-season SEC Player of the Year; VU picked to finish 13th

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Gotta admit, it would suck to have the SEC player of the year and finish 13th out of 14th teams. But that's what the media is prognosticating for this season: https://www.secsports.com/article/32429 ... -sec-title

UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: SPJ named pre-season SEC Player of the Year; VU picked to finish 13th

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Locker room material, baby!
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:24 am Locker room material, baby!
Yep. This should be exactly what these guys need to play with a chip on their shoulder. It's gonna be a fun season.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Every year it's the same. Drool all over a bunch of UK freshmen, don't live up to the hype, bring in the next class. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

If I were Pippen's teammates, I'd have a HUGE chip on my shoulder.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I sure hope we finish better than 13th. I think we will surprise a lot of folks! I think(hope) Stack works these guys hard. Mold them into a team that plays like a well-oiled machine. Teach them the fundamentals(most should already have) and play great defense. Have them practice free throws. Run laps shoot when tired! Give Pippen some support and take some pressure off him. Everyone will be watching & gunning for him.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

VUaskew wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:22 am If I were Pippen's teammates, I'd have a HUGE chip on my shoulder.
If I were a teammate of Pippen, I can guarantee you we would finish last.
kay1092
Commander

Post by kay1092 »

Did anyone watch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPU57WVm29w

Honestly, love to have Pippen back but basically he blamed not getting drafted on being in a bad program. Not exactly what you want to hear. Feels like he's all about himself and put down his teammates. Not exactly leadership material.

He talks about NIL and coming back for the best fit, I don't get it. Why would you publicly say this? Someone didn't coach him well. He doesn't come off the right way if he is going to be a leader.

Don't get me wrong I like Stackhouse, I think he's the right guy for us, but how does that get said in a press conference? Just give a fluff story.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

kay1092 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:08 pm Did anyone watch this?

Honestly, love to have Pippen back but basically he blamed not getting drafted on being in a bad program. Not exactly what you want to hear. Feels like he's all about himself and put down his teammates. Not exactly leadership material.

He talks about NIL and coming back for the best fit, I don't get it. Why would you publicly say this? Someone didn't coach him well. He doesn't come off the right way if he is going to be a leader.

Don't get me wrong I like Stackhouse, I think he's the right guy for us, but how does that get said in a press conference? Just give a fluff story.
I believe Aria asked him about NIL so that wasn’t unprovoked. He might just be regurgitating the exact things that NBA guys told him, which doesn’t make much sense as at times last year (especially during a two game stretch vs Georgia and Auburn, who both weren’t really good, Pip dropped 12 points and 4 turnovers in both games, while shooting around 30% from the field.) it looked like he was a deer in the headlights and just threw bad shots up instead of passing to his teammates. While it’s certainly true that last years team wasn’t very good, especially after the losses of Disu, Clevon, and Tyrin Lawrence to injury, I think it’s unfair to peg his low draft stock entirely on a bad team. Pip needs to prove that he can put up numbers on a good team this year, because we all know he isn’t getting drafted based on physical attributes or pure potential. From what I understand and read, scouts views were more towards “anyone with a decent level of talent could put up those numbers on a bad Vanderbilt team, and shooting 43% isn’t exactly outstanding either”. Pippen is only at the 90th spot in the last 2022 draft board that I saw, so while Stackhouse says that he doesn’t want Pip to return and wants him to go pro, if Pips efficiency doesn’t take a drastic step up, while being on a “winning team” he might have no choice but to return or risk going undrafted.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VandyBias wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 pm
kay1092 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:08 pm Did anyone watch this?

I believe Aria asked him about NIL so that wasn’t unprovoked. He might just be regurgitating the exact things that NBA guys told him, which doesn’t make much sense as at times last year (especially during a two game stretch vs Georgia and Auburn, who both weren’t really good, Pip dropped 12 points and 4 turnovers in both games, while shooting around 30% from the field.) it looked like he was a deer in the headlights and just threw bad shots up instead of passing to his teammates. While it’s certainly true that last years team wasn’t very good, especially after the losses of Disu, Clevon, and Tyrin Lawrence to injury, I think it’s unfair to peg his low draft stock entirely on a bad team. Pip needs to prove that he can put up numbers on a good team this year, because we all know he isn’t getting drafted based on physical attributes or pure potential. From what I understand and read, scouts views were more towards “anyone with a decent level of talent could put up those numbers on a bad Vanderbilt team, and shooting 43% isn’t exactly outstanding either”. Pippen is only at the 90th spot in the last 2022 draft board that I saw, so while Stackhouse says that he doesn’t want Pip to return and wants him to go pro, if Pips efficiency doesn’t take a drastic step up, while being on a “winning team” he might have no choice but to return or risk going undrafted.
Scottie Pippen is a great college player. I expect him to have even a better year than he did last year and I think that will translate to more wins as we actually should have a little depth (barring injury). But he is not as good an NBA prospect as say, Saben Lee, who wasn't as efficient a player (certainly not as a sophomore), mainly because Saben is incredibly athletic, and Pippen is not, and also doesn't possess great size. If Pippen were 6'-7", he probably would be a great prospect if he possessed the same handling and passing skills. But as a college player, he is a complete offensive player for a point guard - he is able to score inside and outside, uses tempo to get to the line with astounding frequency and hits a very high percentage of his FTA. He also possesses great vision and is an efficient and creative distributor and is reasonably good at limiting turnovers considering he has the ball in his hands all the time.

There is a decent chance that he will shoot the ball much better this season from three and reduce his turnovers (assuming that better teammates will allow him to be a little bit more selective in his decision making), which will actually make him one of the best players in the nation, not just the SEC. If his possession usage drops a little bit to around 30% (which is still really high), he could have a really great season. That is my hope anyway.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason Preston is really not athletic. Crafty, yes. A cerebral ball player, certainly.

But not athletic per se. Didn't even start in high school. He went pro a year early from Ohio U. and was taken early 2nd round. You never know what an NBA player-personnel director might be thinking.

BTW, Preston underwent right foot surgery on Thursday and is expected to miss a significant part (if not all) of his rookie season. Tough break... no pun intended.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:53 pm Jason Preston is really not athletic. Crafty, yes. A cerebral ball player, certainly.

But not athletic per se. Didn't even start in high school. He went pro a year early from Ohio U. and was taken early 2nd round. You never know what an NBA player-personnel director might be thinking.

BTW, Preston underwent right foot surgery on Thursday and is expected to miss a significant part (if not all) of his rookie season. Tough break... no pun intended.
That is why I said that if Pippen were taller he'd be a much better prospect. Preston is essentially a taller, longer version of Pippen - you can see how that enhances his ability to finish his drives and pass over defenders.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:39 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:53 pm Jason Preston is really not athletic. Crafty, yes. A cerebral ball player, certainly.

That is why I said that if Pippen were taller he'd be a much better prospect. Preston is essentially a taller, longer version of Pippen - you can see how that enhances his ability to finish his drives and pass over defenders.
According to ESPN, Pippen Jr is 6-3 / 185 and Preston is 6-4 / 187
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:56 am
Jason94 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:39 pm

According to ESPN, Pippen Jr is 6-3 / 185 and Preston is 6-4 / 187
I think that just means we measured Pippen up more than Ohio did. Because I’m pretty sure if they stood next to each other, Preston would be 2-3 inches taller.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I love Pippen....but if I was a betting man I doubt he is a legit 6'3" Who knows.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

oakparkDore wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:10 pm
I think that just means we measured Pippen up more than Ohio did. Because I’m pretty sure if they stood next to each other, Preston would be 2-3 inches taller.
I think hair can make a kid look taller than listed.

(and I'm a Jason Preston fan... he's a great human interest story of overachieving)
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:49 pm

(and I'm a Jason Preston fan... he's a great human interest story of overachieving)
He really is. His story is amazing. And a great college player too last year. Not sure if you caught the Illinois-OhioU game in that opening tournament, but he almost beat the Illini single handedly.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Pippen did not look significantly taller as a sophomore than he did as a freshman, when he was listed at 6'-1". It seems clear from watching the two play that Preston is more than 1" taller and he also appears to have a lanky frame, which is a factor in finishing inside, which is why he made almost 57% of his shots from inside the arc compared to the 47% Pippen made from inside the arc. He also had a defensive rebounding rate of 21% compared to Pippen's 7%. So we can either choose to believe the listed heights, or our eyes and the statistics.

And then there is the fact that Pippen did in fact enter the draft and left because (based on his own admission) he didn't receive a high draft grade (much lower than Preston was picked). And here is what NBAdraft.net says about both players:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/scotty-pippen/

"Measured 6’0.5” barefoot, 6’1.75” in shoes, 8’3.0” standing reach, 176.2 lbs, and 6’5.5” wingspan at the 2021 NBA G-League Elite Camp …"

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/jason-preston/

"Preston is a tall, rangy 6’4 180 PG prospect who has the lengthy frame (6’8 wingspan) to comfortably add more strength…"

So I'm not sure what you are arguing, because Preston continues to highlight the point I am making. At 6'-1 Pippen is a great college player. at 6'-7 he becomes a great pro prospect. At 6'-4" he is a very good pro prospect, and a player like Preston (who is good but Pippen is probably a better college player) kind of proves this out.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

oakparkDore wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:59 pm

He really is. His story is amazing. And a great college player too last year. Not sure if you caught the Illinois-OhioU game in that opening tournament, but he almost beat the Illini single handedly.
I certainly did watch it. And I saw Ohio knock (at the time) defending national champs Virginia out of the big dance. But the next game (Preston's last in college) vs Creighton... he was 1-10 shooting and finished with 4 points in 40 minutes. Games like that gave me pause on his "athleticism." I still think there is a chance Pippen ends up going longer as a pro. And this is from a fan of both guys.

Next player to watch from Ohio is Ben VanderPlas, a 6-8/240 forward, about to start his 5th season. (?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uguLEFdAY
Locked Previous topicNext topic