New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Well, this is unexpected. He averaged 6.8 ppg and 5.3 rbs per game as a freshman at Gardner-Webb. He's a big body at 6-6 225 lbs, however.

https://gwusports.com/sports/mens-baske ... -mann/7340

[tweet][/tweet]

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by VUaskew »

Heck, why not?

Can't coach 6'6 225 toughness. Plus he has three years.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Incidentally, this is the last open scholarship (not counting Pippen's if he departs for other pastures).
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

This will be a great addition. Good size body and 3 years to develop......if he is scholarship, Patterson must be a walk-on then, if they are still holding Pippen's place. Not looking good for his return which he really needs to.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

This one gives me pause. I remember his brother being a strong competitor at UGA, but Jamaine’s recruiting situation sounded very strange. He was apparently highly regarded early but steadily slipped in the rankings and was only offered by Gardner-Webb. I find his quotes regarding the recruiting process and his approach to the game in this interview to be very peculiar.
https://247sports.com/Article/2020-gua ... 111705113/

Edit: Dug into Mann’s stats. Granted, he was a true freshman, but the level of competition wasn’t exactly fierce. His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal. He was also very foul-prone. Again, I recognize the intangibles in body size and potential upside, but this sure looks like a reach for depth to me, especially considering how many big names VU is after and in on early in the 2022 recruiting class.
I hate to say it, but as someone who has remained optimistic about the potential for Pippen’s return next year, this addition so close to the transfer portal/draft withdrawal deadline seems a bad omen in that regard. Hope I’m totally wrong about both that and what Mann brings to the table...
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 pm This one gives me pause. I remember his brother being a strong competitor at UGA, but Jamaine’s recruiting situation sounded very strange. He was apparently highly regarded early but steadily slipped in the rankings and was only offered by Gardner-Webb. I find his quotes regarding the recruiting process and his approach to the game in this interview to be very peculiar.
https://247sports.com/Article/2020-gua ... 111705113/

Edit: Dug into Mann’s stats. Granted, he was a true freshman, but the level of competition wasn’t exactly fierce. His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal. He was also very foul-prone. Again, I recognize the intangibles in body size and potential upside, but this sure looks like a reach for depth to me, especially considering how many big names VU is after and in on early in the 2022 recruiting class.
I hate to say it, but as someone who has remained optimistic about the potential for Pippen’s return next year, this addition so close to the transfer portal/draft withdrawal deadline seems a bad omen in that regard. Hope I’m totally wrong about both that and what Mann brings to the table...
I had some of the same questions.
He did have some really good games and was conference player of the week at least once - but his stats in those games sounded like big man numbers. One of them was something like 12 points 12 rebounds 6 assists (ish, dont hold me to that exactly).
Which sounds like a big strong guy with a nose for the ball and high basketball IQ.
But I wondered how that would translate to a league where 6'6" 225 is not exceptionally big or tall.

Now for the gold-tinted optimistic thoughts:
1. This was also Jordan Wright's profile and he has turned out to be a very valuable all-around player under Stackhouse.
2. Charles Barkley is another guy who, on paper, was not tall enough to play the game he played. Strength, nose for the ball, hard work, and hoops IQ can go a long way.

I feel better about this transfer if I quit thinking of him as a shooting guard.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Considering all the transfers we've had that were somewhat busts, aren't we due a good one?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

VUaskew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm Considering all the transfers we've had that were somewhat busts, aren't we due a good one?
Or total busts, for that matter.
pittsburghdore
Seaman

Post by pittsburghdore »

I'd certainly take another Lawson, McCaffrey, or Byars. I'd really be happy with a Nelter. ("Neltner's winning!" when he was outscoring Kentucky all by himself! at one point in that game.)
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

pittsburghdore wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm I'd certainly take another Lawson, McCaffrey, or Byars. I'd really be happy with a Nelter. ("Neltner's winning!" when he was outscoring Kentucky all by himself! at one point in that game.)
Another Nolan Cressler result would be alright.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Dezonie & Mann last two (but not on the current list) yet guess not signed LOI yet. Patterson is on next year's list with Dort & Shelby.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dbrandon1
Seaman Recruit

Post by dbrandon1 »

Someone has already mentioned a parallel to Jordan Wright. He also has a similar body type to Jeff Roberson and Cory Smith. All three have been productive players.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 pm
His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal.
Agree on the FT% being abysmal, but we’ve had worse.

As for 3-PT%, the sample size is so small (13attempts) to be deceiving. Had ONE more dropped, Mann would be at 38.5% and you would be shouting from the rooftops.

I’m more impressed with the 54% 2-PT shooting.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:14 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 pm
His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal.
Agree on the FT% being abysmal, but we’ve had worse.

As for 3-PT%, the sample size is so small (13attempts) to be deceiving. Had ONE more dropped, Mann would be at 38.5% and you would be shouting from the rooftops.

I’m more impressed with the 54% 2-PT shooting.
Based on his stats, this guy is a undersized power forward, not a wing player. His rebounding numbers are nice, especially his offensive rebounding rate, and he play inside and draws fouls like an post player.

That said, a vast majority of his numbers came against very weak competition, so that has to be taken into consideration. I'd think that his first year here could look a whole lot like his freshman year, and if it did it would represent a large jump due to the significant increase in strength of schedule he would be facing.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Free throw bricks?

Simple solution. Keep him on the bench if we're up 1 with the ball and 30 seconds left.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I am not a basketball expert. However, I do trust our coach, and his evaluation of talent. I believe he knows what he is doing. He has seen something in Mann that is not obvious on paper. I expect that in one or two years we will be wondering what we have missed in our evaluation on this board.
BooMax
Lieutenant

Post by BooMax »

sure seems like a continuation of signing low end recruiting acceptances that doesnt take much effort from lazy recruiting efforts of a HC! Simply, that is the recruiting of Stackhouse

Sadly, I think JS has coaching skills but is not interested in competing in recruiting battles and thus simply just settles without attributing "fit". JHMO of 3rd year of lazy recruiting
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

BooMax wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:11 am sure seems like a continuation of signing low end recruiting acceptances that doesnt take much effort from lazy recruiting efforts of a HC! Simply, that is the recruiting of Stackhouse

Sadly, I think JS has coaching skills but is not interested in competing in recruiting battles and thus simply just settles without attributing "fit". JHMO of 3rd year of lazy recruiting
Give it a rest bud. Dort and Shelby are not lazy recruiting. Neither are ANY of the transfers.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Huh?

Dort and Shelby are Top 100's for 2022

Dezonie and I believe Frank were top 100's for 2021 as transfers.

Daniels was top 125, Dorsey Top 150-ish.

Tyrin Lawrence hasn't shown what he's capable of yet. We've seen flashes out of Stute and Thomas.

Not sure about this lazy recruiting being talked about....
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

Do we even know if Mann is transferring in as a scholarship player? Doesn’t seem impossible that he’s coming in as a PWO. Pretty sure that would change some opinions on here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic