Scotty Pippen Jr. Declares for Draft

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

fldore
Vice Admiral

Re: Scotty Pippen Jr. Declares for Draft

Post by fldore »

Seems odd he would choose to leave if he doesn't get good news regarding potential draft positions. Maybe he is tired of losing. Maybe he didn't get along with Stackhouse. I didn't get the impression of the latter. This is surprising.

SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Over the past several seasons our no.of NBA draftees to no. of SEC wins ratio must be at a record high.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Long term fan is sick of wasting time money and effort on players who care nothing except for themselves.

You cannot convince me that there are no players who value education , who can play at this level. And Nashville is a tremendous city to explore.

I think our recruiting, and our coaching staff, needs to be purged.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Seems like it's more important to create an environment where kids want to be there. Instead of making it a pre-NBA experience, make it a college experience. Be an alternative. I've mentioned before that it felt like CBD and CJS were selling a segway to the NBA. Well, shockingly, the players are buying into it. In this new world, you must recruit players that want a college experience. Otherwise, you have what we have. Nothing.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

fldore wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:35 pm Seems odd he would choose to leave if he doesn't get good news regarding potential draft positions. Maybe he is tired of losing. Maybe he didn't get along with Stackhouse. I didn't get the impression of the latter. This is surprising.
He's getting evaluated, then the rumor is he's probably transferring regardless.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Buffy hits the nail on the head.

I hope that Lea is trying to straddle with college and NFL coach mixture. The two sports are so different in terms of numbers that the loss of one or two is much less significant. Time will tell.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

There were a ton of ways Scottie could have phrased his press release that would indicate he'd possibly be back. He didn't do any of that nuancing. I read it as a definitive farewell, either via draft or transfer. I get it, but it just stinks. Next year, we would have been a tourney team. Sometimes (many times lately), I hate being a fan of this team because of the chronic disappointment it brings. Yet, I am. And will watch every game next season because that's what I do.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

One problem this past year is that the college experience wasn't "the college experience" due to COVID. Just as with adults, all the fun things stopped and you were left with the constant fear of exposure or getting the virus. In fact, the team missed a number of games. I bet that didn't help Scotty wanting to stay. I have a feeling Stack told him he wasn't ready for the NBA (and I agree, but what do I know) and that led to a bit of a rift.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:21 am I have a feeling Stack told him he wasn't ready for the NBA (and I agree, but what do I know) and that led to a bit of a rift.
Hopefully this isn’t true, but if it is I wouldn’t fault Stack in the least for being honest. Heck, NONE of the draft boards that I’ve seen have Scotty listed as a legitimate prospect this year.

Hard to know what to think with the wording of the tweet and rumors of his desire to transfer, but the truth is at this point it’s all just rumor and conjecture. Nobody knows for certain what Scotty will decide. I’d be very hesitant to cast any aspersions at the kid considering that he may well end up back at VU. And if he doesn’t...well that would suck, but also beyond anyone’s control but his.

It does make one wonder about recruiting players who buy into the college experience and commitment to Vanderbilt as a whole (not just the basketball experience). Of course, this experience is hardly unique to VU. Look at the sheer volume of kids in the transfer portal right now. Sadly times have changed considerably in recent years in terms of making a long-term commitment to a program.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

College basketball is going to be infinitely tricky for the foreseeable future. Guys transferring left and right. Kids declaring for the draft who are clearly not ready. News flash, if no one has you in the top 100 prospects, you're not ready!

I don't see this as a problem with our recruiting or coaching approach. Frankly, if you're not explaining to a guy how you can help him be a pro then you're NEVER going to sign him. All the kids want that shot. Plus, we hired a former NBA player, in no small part because he can sell that vision.

Losing players early is part of the deal, you just want them to be ready and to make the best of their opportunity at the next level. I'll admit to being wrong about Saben Lee. Maybe I'm wrong about Pippen too. Time will tell.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

We are seeing a sea change in college basketball. Some, including the press, have long argued for the ability of players to transfer without restrictions, saying that is what coaches can do. However, there can be unintended consequences.

In my view power has shifted more towards players, because of the transfer portal and immediate eligibility following a transfer. I think that means coaches have less control - their ability to discipline will be diminished; their ability to run their "system" will be more difficult.

Dissatisfied players will just transfer, or threaten to do so. Many will want more playing time, or more control over what they can do. Many will want to go to a winning program. That may mean the winning programs get stronger, the weaker programs stay weak, unable to attract enough quality players who would upgrade the program. I have mentioned a few of the possible outcomes. There are probably many more I have not thought of.

Any additional comments are welcome. :?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:52 pm We are seeing a sea change in college basketball. Some, including the press, have long argued for the ability of players to transfer without restrictions, saying that is what coaches can do. However, there can be unintended consequences.

In my view power has shifted more towards players, because of the transfer portal and immediate eligibility following a transfer. I think that means coaches have less control - their ability to discipline will be diminished; their ability to run their "system" will be more difficult.

Dissatisfied players will just transfer, or threaten to do so. Many will want more playing time, or more control over what they can do. Many will want to go to a winning program. That may mean the winning programs get stronger, the weaker programs stay weak, unable to attract enough quality players who would upgrade the program. I have mentioned a few of the possible outcomes. There are probably many more I have not thought of.

Any additional comments are welcome. :?
I think all of those items you mention as unintended consequences are likely to be true. Are they good reasons for continuing to limit kids' ability to transfer? I'm not quite sure they are. A kid probably gets one good shot at transferring (laterally Power 5 to Power 5) and after that I think coaches are going to be skeptical about accepting them at their school.

Dissatisfied players are almost never your best players or the players who get the most playing time. Many times schools are fine losing them as a transfer.

I do think that winning programs are going to be able to more easily gobble up the best players in the transfer market as guys look to "move up" and be more high profile. But those programs also get the best freshmen every year and they may be less able to take a bunch of transfers. It has certainly made college basketball a tough landscape for coaches these days.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Wow, this is so absurdly negative. You guys are all really turning into a bunch of whiny-ass Cassandras... We just had one of our best recruiting days in ages and the reaction here? Pretty much just crickets. But Scotty Jr. says he wants to test the waters yet specifically doesn’t hire an agent, and does so with an announcement that graciously thanks the school, his teammates and the coaching staff and suddenly the sky is falling, college basketball has been ruined by the NBA, Scotty’s transferring, and you’ve all soured on Vanderbilt basketball. Please! SMH...

For what it’s worth, there is a very good chance Scotty Jr. will be drafted if he stays in—but it likely won’t be terribly high. He has some real limitations at that level. (Seriously. The NBA has changed. Lula Doncic, Ben Simmons, Demar Derozan, and now Zion frickin’ Williamson—all of them 6’7” or more—are regularly playing point guard this season. How the hell is he going to guard them?) But Saben Lee’s success this year with the Pistons has helped, m it’s clear that Scotty is a hard worker who’ll develop, and his name still matters a lot, so I expect some teams will be interested. But I wouldn’t count on him getting a first-round promise. And if he doesn’t, why are you all assuming he’s gone? Two years at Vanderbilt have done wonders for his game! Plus there’s nothing at all in his announcement to indicate that he intends to transfer. Besides, if that was his plan why wouldn’t he just put his name in the portal now? That wouldn’t preclude him from testing the waters. Also, this bs speculation that he and Stack disagreed because Stack said he wasn’t ready is ridiculous! Everybody’s saying he’s not ready! And last I checked, his dad was a hall-of-famer who spent 17 years in the league and still often does analysis on television. Why would he need to ask Stack?

Seriously? Y’all need to look at some film of our new players—stat—and quit all this whining! I for one am pretty psyched for the future!
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Scotty's message was a pretty clear goodbye to Vanderbilt. I hope you are right- but I don't think so. I agree that he has a good chance of getting drafted- but not high.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

TwoSaints wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:08 pm Wow, this is so absurdly negative. You guys are all really turning into a bunch of whiny-ass Cassandras... We just had one of our best recruiting days in ages and the reaction here? Pretty much just crickets. But Scotty Jr. says he wants to test the waters yet specifically doesn’t hire an agent, and does so with an announcement that graciously thanks the school, his teammates and the coaching staff and suddenly the sky is falling, college basketball has been ruined by the NBA, Scotty’s transferring, and you’ve all soured on Vanderbilt basketball. Please! SMH...

For what it’s worth, there is a very good chance Scotty Jr. will be drafted if he stays in—but it likely won’t be terribly high. He has some real limitations at that level. (Seriously. The NBA has changed. Lula Doncic, Ben Simmons, Demar Derozan, and now Zion frickin’ Williamson—all of them 6’7” or more—are regularly playing point guard this season. How the hell is he going to guard them?) But Saben Lee’s success this year with the Pistons has helped, m it’s clear that Scotty is a hard worker who’ll develop, and his name still matters a lot, so I expect some teams will be interested. But I wouldn’t count on him getting a first-round promise. And if he doesn’t, why are you all assuming he’s gone? Two years at Vanderbilt have done wonders for his game! Plus there’s nothing at all in his announcement to indicate that he intends to transfer. Besides, if that was his plan why wouldn’t he just put his name in the portal now? That wouldn’t preclude him from testing the waters. Also, this bs speculation that he and Stack disagreed because Stack said he wasn’t ready is ridiculous! Everybody’s saying he’s not ready! And last I checked, his dad was a hall-of-famer who spent 17 years in the league and still often does analysis on television. Why would he need to ask Stack?

Seriously? Y’all need to look at some film of our new players—stat—and quit all this whining! I for one am pretty psyched for the future!
Agree. If Scotty's message said, "I'm not really sure, it things don't work out then I will probably just back out and go back to school. I'm just doing this to see what is out there." That is not going to give teams a lot of confidence in his commitment. I think its all too early to know exactly what will happen not only with his feedback from the NBA, but what he decides based on that feedback.
Locked Previous topicNext topic