It would appear...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

vandytoad
Rear Admiral

Re: It would appear...

Post by vandytoad »

I still don't know what to think of the whole Malcolm Turner episode but I heard Turner went to observe Drew's practices and saw a disaster. From Turner's development league experience he had to have some judgment of sound coaching. If the result we saw was so bad, I would trust Turner's judgment that the process was severely flawed.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Doresince89 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:49 pm Both were rebuilds. I get Baylor was a bigger mess but they stuck with the plan even when it was stagnant at the start. We will not know what would have happened. Rafferty referenced Scott saying it wasn’t about coaching as much as it’s about great players. We were getting great players when the plug was pulled.
All I'm saying, is that if we had done nothing and kept Stallings, we would have won 3-5 additional games compared to what we Bryce Drew's second season, and 5-8 additional games compared to what we say in Bryce Drew's third season.

And by the end, I was in agreement that it was time for Stallings to leave.
BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Post by BILTMORE »

alwaysvu wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:29 pm I have to say is Bryce should’ve got one more year at least the short time he was there was not enough to see what he could do with the program. He Beat Tennessee and had it taken away by the craziest call I’ve ever seen. You never know how the program would go under him. Both of the brothers were in the NCAA tournament this year. This is my opinion it doesn’t matter it’s over So I hope whoever is the coach can win .
Again... 0-18 in conference.
Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, - it doesn't matter... easiest decision in sports
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:37 pm
cc11316 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 pm
oakparkDore wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:12 am

I liked Bryce Drew a lot. Nice guy. Great representative of VU. When he recruited that unprecedented class, I remember doing my Thanksgiving “thanks” at the table for Bryce Drew (to some quizzical looks for my shallowness, LOL). I defended him on here. A lot. But ultimately, 0-18 is 0-18, regardless of injuries. You can’t defend that. You just can’t. A lot of worse teams talent wise (think of how bad some old Auburn and Ole Miss teams were) have managed to win 2-4 games in the conference. For whatever reason, he couldn’t make adjustments to fix that situation and came off looking more like a cheerleader than a leader. Shittu got worse throughout the year. Had we kept Bryce, we would have been tacitly saying that a winless SEC season is acceptable. You can’t have that message. I didn’t like him either, but Malcolm Turner is far from the only AD who would have made that decision. So unfortunately he needed to go. And you need to let it go too man.
The program isn't in significantly better shape today than it was when Drew was fired after the winless SEC season. Next year is almost entirely dependent on Pippen and Disu whatever they decide and their state of health. I guess the difference is the program no longer sniffs 5 star players or even Top 100 ones. IMHO, this program would be in better shape today had they not fired Bryce. It's definitely debatable but there would be more talented players wearing the black and gold. That having been said, I still pull for these guys and hope Stackhouse can get it done.
Would it be though? It is one thing to recruit to something with a lot of promise Getting Garland, Shittu and Nesmith on board after season two (a perhaps understandably down season following the loss of Kornet), but there is little doubt in my mind that we would have had a very, very bad 2020 season regardless of who was coach, with the two 5 star players moving on. Maybe the other players don't transfer, but does that matter? Drew had already proven he couldn't win with them plus more talent and hadn't developed anyone to that point - what possible scenario can you conjure up that has us winning more than 3 SEC games in 2020 under CBD?

And at that point, which top talent is coming to Vanderbilt following two disastrous seasons? What is the selling point? "I took a top 10 talent and turned him into an undrafted NBADL player"? I think it is incorrect to assume that CBD's recruiting would have continued at the level it was at moving forward. CBD's development of players was pretty bad during his time here as well, so there wasn't a real good reason for good players to come here to play for him after the disaster season of 2019.
I think you make some great points regarding his ability to sustain the hot recruiting and what would have occurred in 2020. The thing that is pestering to me about xCBD is that he is/was successful everywhere but Vanderbilt (141-56 and 6 postseason tourneys in 6 seasons including 3 NCAA's). He had a lot of bad luck while he was here (Garland's injury, Turner's hire). We will never know what would have happened and 0-18 does appear unforgivable so probably best for both sides that they did part ways.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

The SEC is a whole different level from where xCBD was before. It just is. For players AND coaches.
Locked Previous topicNext topic