UNC's Roy Williams retiring

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Re: UNC's Roy Williams retiring

Post by Charlie Nickens »

Darn. I was hoping Stackhouse would get the North Carolina job and leave Vandy.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

fldore wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:37 am
Foreverhopeful wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:04 pm Rumor on Twitter is that Stackhouse is interviewing at NC this weekend. I will be really disappointed and mad if he leaves Vandy now. It's unfair to the players and makes me think we won't ever keep a good coach.
I don't agree. I said this when we hired him that I thought Stackhouse would only stick around for any length of time if he was below average to mediocre. He had no relationship to Vandy or college basketball. He only took our job as a stepping stone to a big name school (like unc) or to the nba as a head coach where he'd be a better fit. So if he proved to be good here, he would soon bail for better opportunity. And if he was just average then maybe no one would want him and he'd be forced to stay. (However still the possibility he'd bail for the nba).

Tying all this back to your point, I don't think him leaving would be an indictment on our program or that we can't keep a good coach. This was never a 10 year hire. Our best case was he'd be a fantastic coach, we'd have a great run for a few years, and enjoy the ride before he leaves. Worst case he sucked and we were stuck with him. Stallings was a good coach and we kept him for a long time. Bryce Drew was obviously a failure here but had he been good I got the feeling he would have stayed. We can keep guys who want to be college coaches.
Fldore, you are entitled to your opinion, but I see nothing to indicate Stack plans an early exit now that UNC is not in play. He seems to embrace the challenge that VU basketball is. He clearly is a developer, likes Nashville, doesn't need the money and relishes the completive challenge of winning at the unique situation of Vanderbilt in SEC. Time will tell...
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

Maybe I'm just more cynical than you are or maybe you give people the benefit of the doubt too easily. No one really knows. But while he may say the right thing (some of the time at least), we've heard the rumors that recruiting isn't something he cares for. We know he hasnt handled criticism well whether it be internally or from local media not to mention fans. Hard to tell how happy he is. And he doesnt seem like the type of person who likes all the non-sports responsibilities that come with being a college head coach. Seems like all he wants to do is coach basketball.

As you said time will tell. But if he ever takes us to the big dance, I'll be really surprised if he would be our coach, let's say, two years later.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

fldore wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:16 am

As you said time will tell. But if he ever takes us to the big dance, I'll be really surprised if he would be our coach, let's say, two years later.
Let us both hope we get to see us in the tournament soon.
Locked Previous topicNext topic