Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Gift Cards Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything
VandyMania is a proud Fanatics affiliate. Help us earn commisions (8%) buy purchasing Vandy gear.

Brick by Brick

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

Good2BGold
Vice Admiral

Re: Brick by Brick

Post by Good2BGold » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:33 am

vu2003rpl wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:28 am
Seriously? We continue to embarrass.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/vande ... -sec-fans/
A few points:

1. Butch Jones didn't coin the phrase or the concept of "brick-by-brick." It's been around almost as long as bricks. Therefore, he doesn't own it, and it's still available for use by everyone else.

2. I'll concede that viewed through the lens of the phrase's' history with Butch Jones, it can be considered a poor choice of words to post on social media. But I'm guessing CJS actually used that phrase and the social media person merely repeated it. I'd be surprised if CJS is familiar with the phrase's history with Butch Jones, but it's a phrase he's heard his entire life, and one he's likely used, and maybe often, considering his attention to the little things.

3. It seems like a pretty small deal.

4. You must be easily embarrassed.
1 x

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:07 am

and I thought it was only politicians who spoke before they thought.
0 x

NateSY
Captain

Post by NateSY » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:24 pm

I don’t see this as a big deal, I understand the humor associated with the term “brick” in basketball, but I don’t really see much past it. Try hard enough and you can make a big deal out of anything.
0 x

vu2003rpl
Captain

Post by vu2003rpl » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:21 pm

I honestly don’t care about the Butch Jones part

But I guess I’m the only one that thinks associating your basketball program with bricks is a bad thing?

:roll:

Maybe we should start calling Memorial Gym the Brickhouse - it’s pretty fitting the way we have played the last few years.
0 x

fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Haha only Vandy athletics would be stupid enough to use the term "brick" to promote our basketball team. Next year our football slogan should be "fumble by fumble". "Dropped pass by dropped pass". "Holding penalty by holding penalty"
2 x
VU# Fl@g @AD

UltimateVUFan
Rear Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:25 am

vu2003rpl wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:21 pm
Maybe we should start calling Memorial Gym the Brickhouse - it’s pretty fitting the way we have played the last few years.
The VU Ultimate club team went by Brickhouse for a few years (after my time at VU). It was a reference to the song. Pretty obtuse, IMO, but I suppose if you get the reference you get the reference and the connection.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic