Prime Time against the Jags Thursday night

Discuss Nashville's NFL team here, the Tennessee Titans.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Titans309fan
Admiral

Prime Time against the Jags Thursday night

Post by Titans309fan »

The Titans are on an unusually long win streak against the Jags at three. This is one of the most competitive rivalries in the NFL, and the Titans/Oilers lead the Jags just 28-20. The Titans last won this many in a row against the Jags back in 2001-2003 (5 game streak).

The Jaguars also haven't won at Nissan Stadium since 2013. However, that was a game to remember, as the Jaguars were 0-8 at the time. A fumble on the first offensive play by the TItans led to an easy Jags TD, and the Titans could never catch up in a 29-27 loss (it was so much like the Jets game, with major mistakes like that fumble, a fumble for a TD, and a safety on a holding call in the end zone).

It's pretty easy to see what the Jags are going to do. They will put a lot of pressure on Mariota, hoping he will make a mistake, and they will run the ball as much as possible. If the Titans get a decent lead and force the Jags to pass more, I have no doubt the Titans will win. That Jags offense cannot play from behind. But if the Titans do make mistakes and fall behind, the Jags defense will make it very tough to have a comeback like on Sunday.

I am hoping the cold weather helps the Titans. The Jags didn't react well in last year's game, though it will be slightly warmer (40 degrees for most of the game). Unfortunately, there were a decent number of empty seats for a late Sunday afternoon game in 60 degree weather. I imagine there will be a lot more for a Thursday night game in very cold weather. Personally, I wish the NFL would dump Thursday night games.

Titans309fan
Admiral

Re: Prime Time against the Jags Thursday night

Post by Titans309fan »

That game last night was about as fun a game to see as you can. Derrick Henry set the franchise record for rushing yards in a game with 238, tied the franchise TD mark with 4, and tied the NFL record for longest run at 99 yards. :D

The Titans totally dominated the game. The defense sacked Kessler 4 times, one causing a fumble, and they hit the Jags over and over again. The goal line stand was a thing of beauty, setting up the 99 yard run on the next play. That is the best run I can remember seeing.

The Jets game stopped the bleeding. This game was a statement game that the TItans are a legit playoff contender. Now they get 10 days to rest up before heading to New York to face the Giants.
Locked Previous topicNext topic