Mularkey gone

Discuss Nashville's NFL team here, the Tennessee Titans.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Titans309fan
Admiral

Mularkey gone

Post by Titans309fan »

Ok. Based on the timeline, I have a good idea what happened.

1. Mularkey has press conference yesterday and says he plans on no changes to coaching staff. He thinks they all did a good job and Mariota is progressing well.

2. Reports come out that Mularkey is in talks for a contract extension.

3. Mularkey has parted ways with the Titans.

It sure sounds like Mularkey was let go for the same reason Munchak was let go, and that neither would make changes in their staff. I do like loyalty, but just like Munchak will never head coach again, Mularkey likely burned his third chance with this decision.

Now from a financial standpoint, I don't think Amy and Jon had any choice. If Mularkey wasn't going to change his staff, and the Titan raise their ticket prices like they have done after every winning season, ticket sales would likely plunge. Now if they can get a popular coach to come (like McDaniels), season tickets sales likely go up, maybe significantly.

The danger now is that the Titans have fired four coaches in 9 years. Mariota will be on his third head coach, and he still is in his rookie deal. Too much change can be detrimental to a franchise.

Goldmember
Rear Admiral

Re: Mularkey gone

Post by Goldmember »

Your last two sentences says it all. You can't build an NFL program on having a music chair coaching changes, just look at the Cleveland Browns as evidence of that.

They should not have pushed him to make staff changes. Mularkey and his staff did a great job. I certainly didn't expect them to make the playoffs this season and certainly not the 2nd round.
EllistonVU
Vice Admiral

Post by EllistonVU »

"A great job" - ??

They lost to a bunch of bottom feeders and almost lost to the 0-16 Browns. It took a miracle fluke play to win a wild card game.

Most titans PSL holders I know found Mulakey and his staff to be far from "great." I have no favorite NFL team, so I'm just looking at it unbiased.
ScrappyDore
Captain

Post by ScrappyDore »

EllistonVU wrote:"A great job" - ??

They lost to a bunch of bottom feeders and almost lost to the 0-16 Browns. It took a miracle fluke play to win a wild card game.

Most titans PSL holders I know found Mulakey and his staff to be far from "great." I have no favorite NFL team, so I'm just looking at it unbiased.
I think he was being sarcastic. There is no way any sane fan who watches football could come to the conclusion that that staff did anything close to a good job.

As for the first post, if this staff came back intact, those stands would have been half filled or less from day one. More than likely it came down to replacing Robiske and Mularky said no. Mularkey is a good guy, but he is not a good head coach. His in game decisions were poor. He refused to make adjustments to the offense. And he allowed his QB to regress to the point that he was actually better as a rookie with no experience. If not for Mariota putting the team on his back, they would not have made the playoffs let alone win a playoff game.
Titans309fan
Admiral

Post by Titans309fan »

The Titans went 5-27 before Mularkey and 18-10 under Mularkey, plus the first playoff win in 14 years. So that is were we say he did a good job. He did take the Titans up a level, something no Titans fan can deny.

However, this year's team should have been a lot better then they were. They never had that "complete game" this year, something they were able to at least do a few times in 2016 (like the Packers blow out). The offense did regress this year (thankfully, the defense improved significantly).

I supported Mularkey all year because of his W-L record as head coach of the Titans. He won ugly, but he won more than he lost. But he needed to change the offense going into 2018, and it sounds like his loyalty to his coaches and likely a stubborn belief that his plans work cost him his job.

The Titans are not going to get Josh McDaniels, which is probably great for the Titans. Some guys are just meant to be offensive coordinators, and McDaniels is one of them based on prior results. While I haven't been much of a Cutler fan, McDaniels had no business running him off of the Broncos, especially to get a weak QB like Tebow.

If the Titans can wait till after the Super Bowl (or after next week if the Vikings lose), Pat Shurmur could be an attractive candidate, and I bet he would love to live in Nashville for one last year with his son.
ScrappyDore
Captain

Post by ScrappyDore »

Titans309fan wrote:The Titans went 5-27 before Mularkey and 18-10 under Mularkey, plus the first playoff win in 14 years. So that is were we say he did a good job. He did take the Titans up a level, something no Titans fan can deny.

However, this year's team should have been a lot better then they were. They never had that "complete game" this year, something they were able to at least do a few times in 2016 (like the Packers blow out). The offense did regress this year (thankfully, the defense improved significantly).

I supported Mularkey all year because of his W-L record as head coach of the Titans. He won ugly, but he won more than he lost. But he needed to change the offense going into 2018, and it sounds like his loyalty to his coaches and likely a stubborn belief that his plans work cost him his job.

The Titans are not going to get Josh McDaniels, which is probably great for the Titans. Some guys are just meant to be offensive coordinators, and McDaniels is one of them based on prior results. While I haven't been much of a Cutler fan, McDaniels had no business running him off of the Broncos, especially to get a weak QB like Tebow.

If the Titans can wait till after the Super Bowl (or after next week if the Vikings lose), Pat Shurmur could be an attractive candidate, and I bet he would love to live in Nashville for one last year with his son.
The Titans upgraded the talent significantly during Mularkey's time here. So they were going to win more. He was definitely better than Whisenhunt but he had something no coach had before him. A quarterback. You have to have one to win in the NFL.

As for McDaniels, he did bomb in his only shot. But if I recall correctly, so did Belichek in his first gig. I am ok with Shurmur or any other candidates as long as I don't hear run the football first or power football. Those days are over.
vujoe
Vice Admiral

Post by vujoe »

No doubt that the reason Mularkey was not retained is his offensive coordinator. I really believe we had an awesome offensive team that never lived up to its potential. The play calling stunk because everyone knew what the Titans were going to run. Not having Robiskie is going to be good for all.

Everyone is saying that the Colts are going to pick McDaniel. But I believe Robinson will have a say in that!

Interesting that Gruden, McDaniel, and Shurmur may be head coaches next year!
Goldmember
Rear Admiral

Post by Goldmember »

And he did beat the Jaguars twice, something the Steelers can't say :D :D :D

Titans309fan wrote:The Titans went 5-27 before Mularkey and 18-10 under Mularkey, plus the first playoff win in 14 years. So that is were we say he did a good job. He did take the Titans up a level, something no Titans fan can deny.

ScrappyDore
Captain

Post by ScrappyDore »

Heard he is being considered for the Cleveland OC job.
Goldmember
Rear Admiral

Post by Goldmember »

I think that is Ben McAdoo
ScrappyDore wrote:Heard he is being considered for the Cleveland OC job.
Locked Previous topicNext topic