Inside the Anchor (1/31): latest on recent Vandy offer Jalen Tolbert and Nico Bolden

Insider forum for fans of Vanderbilt football, men's and women's basketball, and baseball. Signup for access here https://www.14powers.com/signup-for-membership/ If you are a premium member and are having trouble accessing this board please email donyates@vandymania.com Include your username in the email.
ShaneKinnee
Commander

Inside the Anchor (1/31): latest on recent Vandy offer Jalen Tolbert and Nico Bolden

Post by ShaneKinnee »

Vanderbilt's final surge heading into National Signing Day, which is literally less than 24 hours until it is here, has been a crazy one. The coaching staff offered and picked up a commitment from 2017 Honolulu, Hawaii DE Jonah Buchanan. I will have more comments on that and why the staff offered him today. But, in the meantime, I have some recruiting nuggets on recent Vanderbilt offer and 2017 Mobile, AL (McGill Toolen) WR Jalen Tolbert.

- Monday evening, coach Marve made contact for the very first time before his baseball practice. After his practice, that night he was told to call coach Hankton and when he did he got an offer from Vanderbilt. It looks like the staff is throwing out some late offers trying to land a few more prospects as they currently have room in the current cycle to do so.

- The 6-foot-3, 185-pounder holds offers from programs like Michigan State, South Alabama, Ball State, and others. He is coming fresh off an official visit to Michigan State this past weekend. Even though Vanderbilt's offer to Tolbert was a big one, he informed me that it won't change anything and his two top schools right now are South Alabama and Michigan State. I was informed by Tolbert that he may announce his commitment tonight, but still has to talk to his parents. Something that could be a positive here is he says there's a "chance" he may take his recruitment past National Signing Day, which would give the staff time to get him on campus and maybe change his mind. But I don't think that will happen, and all eyes are on Michigan State.

- Something else that made some headlines was the decommitment of major 2017 Vanderbilt commit Saint Paul, MN (Woodbury Senior) safety Nico Bolden. When he announced his commitment to the Commodores a few months ago, it was made clear to him that he would play safety at the next level. However, due to his size at 6-foot-4, 205-pounds and his hard-hitting nature, the staff slowly started to consider and prepare to have Bolden play outside linebacker. I was told by his parents that Nico approached the staff about staying at safety like he was recruited as, but the staff wanted him to play outside linebacker. As a result, Bolden took an official visit to New Mexico this past weekend and decommitted from the Commodores. I thought that Bolden would be Vanderbilt's CLEAR gem in this class and a star for Derek Mason's defense in the future. But things happen and it looks like he will end up at New Mexico, which is a huge get for that program.

Lead recruiting reporter for VandyMania, covering Vandy football and hoops recruiting.