Inside the Anchor (1/30): scoop on some Vandy transfer targets

Insider forum for fans of Vanderbilt football, men's and women's basketball, and baseball. Signup for access here https://www.14powers.com/signup-for-membership/ If you are a premium member and are having trouble accessing this board please email donyates@vandymania.com Include your username in the email.
ShaneKinnee
Commander

Inside the Anchor (1/30): scoop on some Vandy transfer targets

Post by ShaneKinnee »

Vanderbilt picked up a commitment Monday night from one of their longtime and major 2017 targets in Smithfield (VA) WR Chris Pierce. The 6-foot-4, 212-pounder took an official visit to Nashville on Jan. 20th. I was able to confirm through one source that Pierce gave his commitment to the Commodores on his visit. He just wanted to wait and make it official for one of his high school's basketball games during halftime. With the addition of Pierce, the staff is done with the receiver position for high school prospects in the 2017 cycle.

- Something that turned into a major story that didn't really come to many people's attention until today was the decommitment of longtime 2017 commit APB McLane Mannix from Vanderbilt. This was something that literally came out of no where. But after talking with both the staff and Mannix's family, I was able to confirm that this was a mutual departure from both sides. I had originally made it a point that Vanderbilt was not taking a running back in this class, but I thought it was odd that the staff recruited and accepted a commitment from Mannix earlier in the process. The 5-foot-10, 175-pounder informed me a few weeks ago, that the staff was going to use him as an H-back position. A guy who could catch balls out of the backfield and take a few handoffs in the backfield. However, it looks like the Vanderbilt staff didn't want to go along with that plan anymore. I understand Vanderbilt's position here as Mannix didn't really fit what Vanderbilt was looking for in a running back. Mannix's mother told me he had been decommitted from the Commodores since yesterday and she thinks Nevada is the school he will end up at.

- Since we are speaking of receivers, I was able to confirm that over the weekend Vanderbilt held a secret visitor in former Ohio state receiver transfer Alex Stump. I was told that he "enjoyed" his visit to Nashville and has "serious" interest in Derek Mason and his program. Coming out of high school, Stump was one of the top receivers in the state of Ohio and held offers from programs like Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, and others. But when he arrived on campus in Columbus, he was quickly buried in the depth chart due to the Buckeyes heavy amount of talented receivers. He decided to transfer from the program as a redshirt freshman who has three years of eligibility, but has to sit out one year. I don't think Vanderbilt is completely sold on bringing in Stump into the program as I was told that "a few things have to shake out" in order for the staff to offer him. However, he does fit the program and what Vanderbilt currently needs. He's a 6-foot-3, jump ball type of receiver who was an honor student at his high school and did hold offers from both Harvard and Yale coming out of high school.

- It looks like Vanderbilt's top transfer receiver target is Oregon grad-transfer Jalen Brown as he can come in and make an immediate impact for the coaching staff. So, it looks like they will wait and see what happens with Brown first. The former Oregon Duck and four-star receiver escaped the staff in the 2014 recruiting cycle and was a guy that left a little sting for the Commodores as he was a major target. He finished his Oregon career with 407 receiving yards and four touchdowns. I have confirmed that the staff is already in contact with Brown and are pushing hard and looking to get him on campus.

- As for the other Big Ten transfer that was on campus this weekend for the Commodores, former in-state prospect and Illinois running back transfer Ke'Shawn Vaughn. His visit to Nashville was one that the staff tried to keep under wraps, but I was informed by one of his former teammates that he was currently at Vanderbilt for an unofficial visit. Anyway, ever since Vaughn announced he was transferring from Illinois, he was in contact with the Vanderbilt coaching staff. On his visit, he had a chance to sit down and talk with the coaching staff. I have talked to many different people, who know Vaughn wants to play closer to home and it's "very likely" that he ends up in Nashville. Vaughn will have to sit out this season and will have two years to play.

Note: I'll have an article out tomorrow about how I think this class will finish out.

Lead recruiting reporter for VandyMania, covering Vandy football and hoops recruiting.